Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I quit and am delighted

• 22-09-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have had enough of my job and I quit. I wrote a very polite letter saying I was giving 4 weeks notice as per my contract and thanked the company for working with them.

But I told my manager over the phone and she lost the mind !!! And do you know what she took offence too ? The fact that I had said, she wasn't happy with me and that I wasn't happy with her. She took offence that I wasn't happy with her !.

So I told her that I have just handed in my notice and that is all she had to say. I apologised if I offended her and told her my resignation still stands and she said fine and hung up on me.

About 20 minutes later she phones back like nothing has happened, but will discuss with me tomorrow when she is back in the office my lenght of notice ?

So, a question for you. If she says she wants me to leave tomorrow or something, does she have to pay me for the month of notice I have given ? I would have given less only it stats in my contract I have to give a months notice, even though I am on probation.

I took 2 weeks holidays in May and have worked it out I would owe here 2.54 days as I only started on the 12th of May.

Any opinions appreciated.

Rgds

Caroline

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Hey there,

Sometimes in accountancy, (especially practice) you might be asked to leave almost immediatley when you resign due to the nature of the work and confidentiality. I would assume you should be paid for the period of your notice but i'm not entirely sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

if they want you to leave straight away, they have to pay you in lieu of agreed normal notice period

so if its one months notice, they pay you the one months pay and you walk

ask for a written reference as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carolinei

Hi all,

Quick update, I have been informed that if I would like to leave earlier I can ! I said no I will work the month, but if they want me to go they have to pay me. They said they'd let me work the month. Cute or what, trying to get me to leave, but make it look like they were doing me a favour !

We'll play it by year anyway, thanks for the advice.

Rgds

Caroline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yogabunny

I just left and got the same treatment. They said they were happy for me to leave straight away even though I had given a few weeks notice and I didnt get paid for those few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carolinei

Hi Yogabunny,

I couldn't afford to leave just because she wants me to leave. So I am putting up with the crap, and saying nothing. Although its really weird as I open the mail and am giving her all the CV's.

I feel like taking there numbers and phoning them and saying don't do it - I wouldn't mind you, I do have a life outside that place and when I leave I won't be giving them another thought. So thats why I don't mind.

I have got another job - earning 4 grand a year more and they are only to happy for me to do the ACCA's and in the contract I only have to stay 1 year after I qualify which is great. There are also loads of different bonuses - so I am delighted.

Its the same distance from the other job, just in the opposite direction and I start next Monday.

Rgds

Caroline

• Advertisement
Advertisement