Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle-Computers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Either will do fine, Cateye do a lot of computers so I'd say go for that one, but they're much the same as each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I'd recommend to go for a wireless one if you don't mind spending a bit more.
    here is what I have

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4944

Its been working great for a few years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have four Cateyes; they are extremely reliable, oldest has been going strong for over ten years.

Personally I don't think there is any compelling reason for wireless, more expensive, more batteries and another thing to potentially go wrong. A wired computer is very easy to install, takes all of five minutes (indeed I stuck a new Cateye on my fixie this morning.) Only reason you might want wireless would be if you are looking for cadence, I imagine it is more difficult to get the wires down there neatly.

The Strada you linked to is a nice design and that is a good price for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I suppose for the image conscious roadie, a wireless computer has a cleaner look.

I have a basic cateye velo 5 (i think) and think its great apart from its inability to display average speeds. I think the next velo up does this for about 25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for your replies.

With buget my top top top priority i went for the VDO. €4 less but also has 2 more functions.

Hopefully there wont be much difference in quality between it and the cateye.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are these sufficiently waterproof. I bought one - can't remember make but it didn't last past the first rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My Cateyes have stood up to torrential downpours including a series that killed a Garmin GPS.

@DirkVoodoo- I have a Mity 8, two Mity 3s and a Velo 8. The Velo 8 does indeed have average speed, I suspect they probably deliberately hobbled the Velo 5 to leave it out. The Velo 8 I got for something like £10-12 online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was watching that "Man who cycled the world" and Mark found his computers stopped working in the heavy rain (this was monsoon season i believe). He applied some silicone grease to the contact points and everything was hunky dory.

Cheers for that Blorg. That was the only thing that bugged me about the Velo 5, I find average speed more useful than maximum speed. I guess its more a marketing decision. Otherwise I concur, great computers.

Advertisement