Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife Experts?

• 22-09-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

What do the knife experts think of these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Yes, these look like good value. The carbon-steel middle layer is derived from traditional Japanese swordsmithing techniques. You get the best of both worlds - a sharp cutting edge and nice clean stainless steel for low-maintenance.

Shame they aren't sellling water stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

I haven't got any decent knives and was thinking about investing in one or two. That's why I was interested in getting opinions on these.
    If I was to get one would I have to get some sort of knifesharpening gizmo?
    If so could somone recommend the easiest option for the complete novice?
    I have looked through the links but they all seem to go very 'in-depth' into the subject.

The Spyderco system is said to be good and easy to use.

Note: I have never used and don't endorse this ebay seller - link provided for information only :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Santoku knives aren't a brand, they're a type. And they're originally a kind of sushi knife. If you're only starting with cooking and want the simplest answer, it's to go to Brown Thomas, go upstairs to the kitchenware department and tell them you'd like to buy a medium-sized chef's knife. They'll point out a few examples by brands like Global, Sabatier and I think they have Wusthof as well. Any of these will do - just pick the one that feels best to your hand (Global look a bit more modern, I rather like them even though I use a Sabatier myself, but if it doesn't feel right to you it's no use).
    And get a steel as well, and ask to be shown how to use it (there is a specific way, it takes about four seconds to show you in person and about a half-hour to type out how to do it and you've only a 50-50 chance of getting it right from written instructions).

And then stop. Buy nothing further. No fancy sharpeners (you get them professionally sharpened once a year). No doodads. Just use that one knife till you're used to it (keep a bandage handy in the kitchen, you'll probably cut yourself once before you learn how sharp it is!).

Also, watch this:

And then the second half:

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Santoku knives aren't a brand, they're a type. And they're originally a kind of sushi knife.

Who said santokus were a brand?

I understood the santoku was the knife of 'three virtues' - in other words a multi-purpose knife. Sushi knives are a quite different profile, much thinner & more like a western carving knife.

You will no doubt get something very good in Brown Thomas, but it will come at a steep price. The Aldi santokus look like good value by comparison. I would like to know where they're made though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rockbeer wrote: »
    Who said santokus were a brand?
    Aldi, from that ad of theirs :D
    Sushi knives are a quite different profile, much thinner & more like a western carving knife.
    Well, one kind of sushi knife is, but there's at least three types for sashimi and a few others thrown in there as well and some aren't anything like our ham slicers.
    You will no doubt get something very good in Brown Thomas, but it will come at a steep price. The Aldi santokus look like good value by comparison. I would like to know where they're made though.
    See, there's the rub. BT's is not going to be as cheap as you could get if you ordered online and knew what you were doing - but if you're only starting out, BT's are actually surprisingly decent. Whatever about the clothes and cutlery and glassware, the markup on their knives seems fair enough - it's certainly on a favourable par with kitchen compliments or stock or the other stores in that area. (Again, TK Maxx would be cheaper, but you'd need to know what you were looking for, which the OP said they didn't).
    If you had to buy your first knife, I'd say take the hit of the extra few quid and go to a decent enough shop where you'd get some help and get to pick up and feel the knives in your hand before buying.

Oh, and what I forgot to mention - don't wash the knife in the dishwasher and don't put it in the cutlery drawer. Not only will both damage the knife, you're risking chunks of your fingers doing the latter!

Sparks wrote: »
    Aldi, from that ad of theirs :D

??

The first line of their ad says
    Aldi wrote:
    The Santoku knife is a general purpose knife originating from Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You don't need a Santoku to split hairs in this place :D

Advertisement