Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on 3 - what's the catch?

• 22-09-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

I see it needs a "cash top up" every month for you to be able to use the system, but of how much?

And has anyone here used it? Is it reliable, or just plain useless?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've used it occasionally on my bill pay phone. As long as you have a 3g data signal it will work.

The calls themselves are actually made as a normal mobile phone call so the quality is as good as your normal mobile calls will be as the call only becomes an actuall Skype call via a UK number where it connects to the internet. You don't get charged for that mobile call though and just have to have a data connection available where ever you are for it to keep your online presence updated. If you do experince bad quallity calls then it is most likely down to the other persons internet connection as the Three part of the call has next to nothing to do with any internet data transfer speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

and something that isn't obvious from their promotion of the offer, it's only skype-skype, no landline or mobile calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

gavinjc wrote: »
    I see it needs a "cash top up" every month for you to be able to use the system, but of how much?

And has anyone here used it? Is it reliable, or just plain useless?
    You need to top up by 20 e a month and the quality is quite good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

BrendanD wrote: »
    You need to top up by 20 e a month and the quality is quite good

You only need to top up by €10 per month, this also gets you €10 free credit if you got a new phone...you don't need to top up in the first 30 days...

Sam is right, it's only free skype to skype calls and texts, you could get a data add on and use a service like Fring if you needed full skype (to call landlines and mobile)....

You need to be in a 3G coverage area to make a call but the call should not drop while your on it if you move out of the coverage area...

There's no real disadvanages if your using it for calling other skype users..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deromalley

I am thinking of getting this 3 offer but live in the country where broadband is not available. Do you need good coverage? is it difficult to setup normal calls on this phone or can you just pay at standard rates? do you still keep you eircom account?
    Sorry for all the questions but any help appreciated

• Advertisement

Where do you live, are you 100% sure there is no 3 network signal in your area, if there's no 3 signal it would be pointless having a 3 phone if internet and skype were your thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    and something that isn't obvious from their promotion of the offer, it's only skype-skype, no landline or mobile calls

When you wrote this, the above was true.

However since, the Skype for 3 client has been updated to include calls to landlines and mobiles option, so that you can call these phones at the Skype normal rates. You can't call Irish numbers on 3 Ireland, British numbers on 3 UK etc. Smart draw.

If you use the branded Amoi Skypephone, you can't update the Skype client software, so you are stuck with the Skype-Skype-only calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

flodis79 wrote: »
    When you wrote this, the above was true.

However since, the Skype for 3 client has been updated to include calls to landlines and mobiles option, so that you can call these phones at the Skype normal rates. You can't call Irish numbers on 3 Ireland, British numbers on 3 UK etc. Smart draw.

If you use the branded Amoi Skypephone, you can't update the Skype client software, so you are stuck with the Skype-Skype-only calls.
    You can call landlines/mobiles but not Irish and UK ones is thast what your saying, if thats true thats still very good and im suprised 3 would do that.

1huge1 wrote: »
    You can call landlines/mobiles but not Irish and UK ones is thast what your saying, if thats true thats still very good and im suprised 3 would do that.

It's True, I think it's only Irish Number you can't call, the 3 website dosen't seem to be updated yet, but you can definatley use skype out at the moment....
    I wouldn't buy a skype phone itself 3 have a lot better phones that support skype, still for €20 with their pay as you go broadband it's pretty cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 evinmckay

I am sorry it's a bit off the subject but I was just wondering if you know anything about having to top up for free msn on 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

No top up is required for MSN, its free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

I bought a 3 sim card for my unlocked se 800i but cant download skype from planet 3, says it is not compatible with the se 800i
    Is this right or wrong?

Sid71 wrote: »
    I bought a 3 sim card for my unlocked se 800i but cant download skype from planet 3, says it is not compatible with the se 800i
    Is this right or wrong?

Right, you not only need the settings for planet3 but you also need the 3 software on the phone so it has the correct certificates to run the application. Send the handset off through a 3 store and they will get the software put onto it (this will lock it to the network)

Actually no ignore my last post i read the previous post wrong. You will not get skype on a k800i, skype was never available for this handset as it was released before skype was available

but you can download skype lite from http://mobiledownload.skype.com/
    I have this on my phone but I only get chat option
    all my contacts are there
    but no skype to skype calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yes Sid but be advised that if you use a non-3 application to access Skype over 3G it will use chargeable data unless you have a data plan with 3.

Will a 3 shop put 3 software on my se800i?
    so I can use skype for free skype to skype calls

how do I put this gently, It won't work for you, you need a 3 phone or one that's compatiable....shop assistant will probably laugh...;)

Skype is not available for the k800 (even a 3 branded one) as the application was never released on that phone so no you will not get the free skype on you k800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Does anybody know if there is a data cost charged on a skype to skype call using three?

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

gzoladz wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a data cost charged on a skype to skype call using three?

Thanks,

there isn't if you're using their skype service, if you're just using fring or another third party skype program there is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Thank you Sam!
    G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

what if you buy a simfree e51?any chance of adding the skype service then and working on 3 for free skype to skype calls and chat?

Spipov wrote: »
    what if you buy a simfree e51?any chance of adding the skype service then and working on 3 for free skype to skype calls and chat?

No..you will need to be using a phone model that is supported by the network. The e51 was never released on 3 so there is not a skype varient for that phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Walkman wrote: »
    No..you will need to be using a phone model that is supported by the network. The e51 was never released on 3 so there is not a skype varient for that phone.

Will it recognise the phone and not let you download it? Im sure it would work they have skype for plenty nokia's, if you could get it on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

I picked up a cheap Sony Ericsson 3 Skype phone over Christmas and was very dubious about the offer. I finally got around to switching on the phone and trying it out. The Skype calls to the UK landlines work great. Call costs were the usual 1.7c per minute which is amazing for a mobile. I haven't tried Skype to Skype yet.

I will definitely be considering porting my main mobile over to the 3 Skype phone now.

Advertisement