Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begging people in cars . . . .

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I was driving into town on Fri just gone, Was waiting for the lights at the junction of William St and Parnell St when this lady, looked like a gypsy, all scarves and bangles, can't say where she was from, starts begging from the drivers stopped at the lights, she was hardly able to walk, jerking limbs and crooked legs, poss a polio victim, she was falling onto bonnets and begging for money through the windscreen, I was freaked to be honest, surely there's somewhere who could look after someone as severely handicapped as this? Apart from the fact that she could have gone in under a car really easily, she was making people feel threatened and posing a real hazard on the street. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Not sure if it's the same person or not but I saw someone who would fit that description on Thomas street a few weeks ago, barely able to walk despite having a crutch, screaming and howling. I watched for a while and when the street was clear of people she had a quick look around and walked normally with the crutch under her arm up towards the Bagel Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was she wearing a blue shawl thing?

Saw her having her lunch in Subway last Saturday. No wonder she has to go begging if she eats in Subway the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blow_in

Me and the wife were down in the city center and witnessed some bold begging going on being from California I've seen plenty. The lady we saw was hanging on a ladies jacket wailing at her hoping the lady would give her some coin just to get rid of her. I felt bad for my son he really didn't know what to make of this.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Was she wearing a blue shawl thing?

Saw her having her lunch in Subway last Saturday. No wonder she has to go begging if she eats in Subway the whole time.

I think so, there are several ladies who dress similarly and station themselves at various points around the city centre ( and one man as well ) all appear to have a disability of some kind. I believe they are dropped off in the morning and collected in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

if u look at the crutch, if its still the same one, it has white tape near the top, ul spot several of them using this crutch. OP, take a read of a recent thread, limerick beggars. and dont believe these gypsies, they're professional beggars, and possibly better off than some of the posters on here. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055368214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

blow_in wrote: »
    Me and the wife were down in the city center and witnessed some bold begging going on being from California I've seen plenty. The lady we saw was hanging on a ladies jacket wailing at her hoping the lady would give her some coin just to get rid of her. I felt bad for my son he really didn't know what to make of this.

She most likely was trying to get at her pockets. That shirt/trousers hanging thing is a physical contact excuse with the aim of pickpocketing.
    NEVER let them do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Are there any laws preventing this kind of thing? It happens in Dublin as well, I've seen it in other forums on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 pgroarke

This went on for a while a couple of years ago in Dublin.
    A female gypsy (either carrying a baby or a doll wrapped in a shawl) would walk up lines of traffic near the Stillorgan junction of the N11 and also the Rathfarnham crossroads.

Now motorcyclists often use the gaps to weave through the traffic.
    As a motorcyclist myself I have to say that pedestrians walking between lines of traffic is incredibly dangerous both for them and motorcyclists.
    I could not believe my eyes when I saw a silly bint giving one of them money in Rathfarnham.
    I pulled up alongside and screamed abuse in her window.
    People just do not think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mud wrote: »
    I was driving into town on Fri just gone, Was waiting for the lights at the junction of William St and Parnell St when this lady, looked like a gypsy, all scarves and bangles, can't say where she was from, starts begging from the drivers stopped at the lights, she was hardly able to walk, jerking limbs and crooked legs, poss a polio victim, she was falling onto bonnets and begging for money through the windscreen, I was freaked to be honest, surely there's somewhere who could look after someone as severely handicapped as this? Apart from the fact that she could have gone in under a car really easily, she was making people feel threatened and posing a real hazard on the street. :confused:

shes not handicapped its a scam, theres a bunch of them who swap clothes with each other and do this, seen them late at night up by baker place all getting into a car and nothing wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    shes not handicapped its a scam, theres a bunch of them who swap clothes with each other and do this, seen them late at night up by baker place all getting into a car and nothing wrong with them

Yep, climbing into the two cars that pick them up, Audi A4 and a VW Passat.

Same two cars do the pick ups down by the GPO also.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep, climbing into the two cars that pick them up, Audi A4 and a VW Passat.

Same two cars do the pick ups down by the GPO also.

that'd be the ones, I'd love to nick her crutch one night and watch her chase after me for it, purely for her miracle healing that would take place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

krudler wrote: »
    that'd be the ones, I'd love to nick her crutch one night and watch her chase after me for it, purely for her miracle healing that would take place :D

Jesus, I don't so, so tempted to do that whenever I see them.

Any excuse to piss them off :D

Or go up and ask them for the change of a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i'm working at a stall at the milkmarket on saturdays. last saturday both (the old on the crutches and the young) gypsies were walking around the market. everytime they were in front of my stall and were begging (literally grabbing peoples jackets!) i told the people loud enough not to give her a single penny.

but the most unbelievable thing happened when she aproached another beggar and he told her that he has only a rosary. and that cúnt demanded the rosary!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

karlr42 wrote: »
    Are there any laws preventing this kind of thing? It happens in Dublin as well, I've seen it in other forums on boards.

There probably are but like most laws in this country, they are pointless unless they are enforced.

These so called beggers are well organised and rarely operate alone, they are well used of dealing with life on the streets back home where it is 100 times plus more dangerous than they have to deal with here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Not sure if it's the same person or not but I saw someone who would fit that description on Thomas street a few weeks ago, barely able to walk despite having a crutch, screaming and howling. I watched for a while and when the street was clear of people she had a quick look around and walked normally with the crutch under her arm up towards the Bagel Factory.

that biddy is living out the dublin road, somewhere across from frank hogans
    saw her walking in the rain one day & sonia o'sullivan wouldn't keep up with her.

there was a middle aged fellow begging off the cars stopped on sarsfield last thursday , was a danger to himself & to the traffic in general

a bunch of younger ones were in cruises street on friday morning with hand written notes, were mainly concentrating on elderly ladies, (maybe after collecting their OAP)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

there's also a gang of them that target the regional hospital, my Uncle was in there for six months so I saw this craic a lot, they turn up and scatter among the patients who are smoking or just getting some fresh air, scabbing fags and money, some really really young kids as well who would seriously crowd someone trying to scope their dressing gown pockets! then all in to a car and gone :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

bazz26 wrote: »
    There probably are but like most laws in this country, they are pointless unless they are enforced.

These so called beggers are well organised and rarely operate alone, they are well used of dealing with life on the streets back home where it is 100 times plus more dangerous than they have to deal with here.

Actually begging is not illegal in Ireland any more, it was up until quite recently then one chap who got arrested for it in dublin and was convicted appealed the conviction and had it overturned, with the side effect that begging on the street is now perfectly legal.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

You would want to have seen the scenario I saw yesterday at the shops where i live in Dublin. There is a Roma gypsie who does be begging at the shops Mon-Sun in the same spot. Yesterday myself and a whole load of others witnessed a man finally confront her over it and all hell broke loose. Talk about picking up our native language, she did not stop effing and blinding at the man. Now he was giving as good as he got and as we went into the shop we all finally thought that would be the end of it but as we came out it was still going on only the woman was now starting to hit out at him. Only for the intervention of another woman did it prevent him from doing the same thing back. I left at that stage as it was still going on, so i don't know what the final outcome was. Just goes to show that they are certainly getting confident about confronting people who stand up to them. She's lucky it wasn't me she started with I can tell you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

foinse wrote: »
    Actually begging is not illegal in Ireland any more, it was up until quite recently then one chap who got arrested for it in dublin and was convicted appealed the conviction and had it overturned, with the side effect that begging on the street is now perfectly legal.:mad::mad::mad:
    Do you have a source on that? Because if true, that's a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

That's it im starting a new job begging next Monday. Just were to pick my spot now???...hmmmm

The best ones seem to be all taken, today there were 4 youngish wans with the little pieces of paper on Little Catherine St, a fat wan outside the small silver jewellery shop on William Street and another one outside the new 2 Euro shop across the road. Old Tom playing his accordian in his usual spot just off Cruises St and another headscarf woman on Thomas St. At least there were no chuggers on Cruises St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

a bunch of younger ones were in cruises street on friday morning with hand written notes, were mainly concentrating on elderly ladies, (maybe after collecting their OAP)[/QUOTE]

yup..this happened to me on the way to ul on the bus believe it or not, first of all they tried to scam their way on the bus skipping ppl and only payin 1 euro because they were 'under 17' eventhough they were about 35 ish! then they demanded this old lady to put her shopping on the floor because they wanted to sit beside eachother, then they went around sitting beside randomers including me giving them the note..bad form, i think something has to be done with these people..they have less respect then the knackers..

its common knowledge, run a search on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I cannot understand sometimes the society we live in.
    Reputable charities fundraising on the streets using volunteers to shake a bucket around in the wind, cold and rain in the hope somebody approaches them to make a donation require a limited permit by the gardai to collect donations, yet hostile beggars have the legal privilige to harrass people for money until they give in and throw them anything as they feel threatened by their presence. How can that be justified and legal in our society?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

sure thing:

RTE
    Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

About 2 weeks ago i was walking up towards interflora from thomas street when i saw that shaking gypsy one grabbing everyone that passed..... she then crossed over the road towards two lads who were sitting outside a cafe relaxing..... she kept pestering them... almost sitting on their knees till the 2 lads eventually got up and left anf left the coffee there

sure one of the priests came out this week telling people not to give money anymore..... the beggars are coming in to the church while people are praying... was in the local paper this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The problem seems to be getting worse everywhere. They are getting more numerous and are getting much cheekier.

What I'd love to know is, who the hell are looking after these people and accommodating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Out for a stroll last night. Passing a shop front and looking in the window. Beggar in door way grabs my leg to get my attention. I trip over. I'm sure he didn't intend to trip me and maybe just saw me at last minute. Had I fallen I dread to think how I would have reacted.

• Advertisement

The problem seems to be getting worse everywhere. They are getting more numerous and are getting much cheekier.

What I'd love to know is, who the hell are looking after these people and accommodating them?
    the gypsies? they're looking after themselves, theres nothing wrong with them.

Advertisement