Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begging people in cars . . . .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I noticed the guys who clean your windscreen when stopped at traffic lights are back again at Punches cross. That's gotta be a traffic hazard for drivers as well as cyclists wizzing between cars. Surely this activity is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There was two of them at Punches cross today, but the next time you pass that way and see them there, take a look at the kerb where the hedges are beside the Peony Court. Two are out in the cars, while two more sit on the kerb between the hedges. Strength in numbers.

They are back to the old trick they used to do in that area again, which is one just stands in front of the car, even if the lights are green and the rest come to the car from two sides and start knocking on the windows.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw the window-washers near Ivan's last week as well. Not sure if they were made to move on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

I saw those window washers too at Punches a few months ago - was in traffic, and the usual guy was working his way through the cars - targeting women more-so than men I noticed. The woman in the car in front of me clearly didnt want her windows washed, yet he started to do it anyway! Came to me and I just shook my head and he walked by.

I was looking in the rearview mirror when I noticed a garda in his 50's get out of an 08 passat, looked like he was just finished his shift, and walk over to the window washer, grabbed the bottle out of his hand, along with his squeegy, poured the contents onto the road, opened his boot and fired them in, told yer man where to go, and got back into his car!

A little more of that would go a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's a joke - these people are putting themselves and other road users at risk by standing out in traffic.
    Was cycling over Sarsfield Bridge a few hours ago, there was a fella walking up the left hand side of the 'straight ahead' lane(ie, between that lane and the one for turning left onto Liddy Street), begging money from cars. I shouted at him as I was approaching and he just looked at me so I was forced to skip lanes to avoid him - the result of which was that I was nearly taken out by the traffic behind me as a due to my unannnounced manouvre.

And the worst thing about this is, even though he's the one wandering about in traffic, the motorist is going to be held responsible for anything that happens to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Oh......Finally i have somewhere to rant bout these kunts . I swear if i walk up O'connell street one more time and dat old one with her crutch asks me for money I'M honestly gonna drop kick it from under her and see what happens. In the last week I been to town bout maybe 4 times and she comes up shaking to me my intial respone to her is F**K O** your getting nothin off me. Its starting to become a joke . I left town bout two weeks ago , driving down by the munster shop and I seen a married couple walking in and she latched onto the womans bag i was fit the jump out of the car , but I was delighted when one the lads inside came out and goes go on fu*k off now before i ring the guards she soon legged den .

There has to be way of stopping them because its going too far and personally i'm sick to death of it !!!

RANT OVER..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I saw a group of those beggers (the ones with the piece of paper with "Help me I'm poor etc. etc." written on them) today.

Talking to each other in english, joking and laughing.

One of them stands in front of me, really serious face (like her life depends on me giving her money), holds the paper out and says "Ex...cuse....me" in broken english.

Complete bullshit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone see the guy at Punches cross today? He had a normal left leg, what looked like a pole where his right leg should have been, then his right leg was out in the open at the weirdest angle ive ever seen. It was too strange to explain properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

i have my doubts about these type of ppl. i do not like giving charity to some absolute stranger that walks up to me and puts out their hand and begs, I would hate to think that the money i gave to someone would go towards fueling a drink or drug problem,or worse again, go back to a person who sent them out on the street on the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

This is a pure scam, nothing wrong with her at all. Punch her in the face and give her something to scream about.

I've heard of the same group stealing wallets from people on nights out. They surround you and stick flowers in your face while one has your wallet away.

Break the crutch over her head. Shes scum. Whats worse is that people fall for it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I brought 3 college friends for a walk down O'Connell Street tonight (en route to Molly's from O'Connell Avenue), and was shocked by what I saw. There must have been 5 different beggars on the road between Browne Thomas and the Chicken Hut. Not all of them were Roma either.

My friends (from Cork, Clare and Kerry respectively) were appalled by what they saw. I tried to fill them in on some of the recent scams, and they could tell for themselves that one woman in particular looked very much like a junky. I was embarrassed to have to show my friends that side of Limerick City. It really made me feel ashamed. I don't believe I've experienced such feelings before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I was on my way up to mary i on thursday, stopped at the lights at punch's cross, fella there with a deformed leg, going up and down rubbing the def leg off the car windows, saw one little boy screaming in what i can only assume was terror in the back seat of one of the stopped cars, next thing an unmarked focus pulled across the traffic and called yer man over, two officers kept him there for a few mins then drove off, yer man walked (hopped) back down along scarlet head on him but smirking to cover up

seriously sick of this sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

the old gipsy hag were giving the beggar's uniform to her younger colleagues this afternoon outside the milkmarket. she was in perfect condition: the crutch laying on the ground, shoving a curry into her mouth without the slightest sign of a tremor or shaking, balancing her heavy bag with both hands over the head onto her shoulder. and then off she walks bent down on the crutch shaking the hand and mumbling "hungry, hungry!".

the next time that c*nt approaches me i'll kick her crutch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

That elderly woman with the crutch is constantly hanging around the BOI ATM machines on O'Connell/ Thomas St. I was going to say it to a Garda if I saw one handy. Now that my suspicions have been confirmed next time I'm in town I am going to pop into Henry St. and ask them is there anything they could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

eroo wrote: »
    That elderly woman with the crutch is constantly hanging around the BOI ATM machines on O'Connell/ Thomas St. I was going to say it to a Garda if I saw one handy. Now that my suspicions have been confirmed next time I'm in town I am going to pop into Henry St. and ask them is there anything they could do?

eroo i refer you to post 19 of this very thread, it will provide the answer you seek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

These beggars are becoming a right menace on the streets. There is one guy in particular who is always down by Dunnes in Henry St.He always prowls up and down by cars stopped in traffic. This is going too far IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Foreign guy at Ivans Cross today going from car to car handing out what looked like "glossy" flyers. Everyone who was stopped at the lights (incl myself) downed the windows and accepted the "flyer". The guy continued up along the line of waiting traffic doing the same at every car.

However, stapled to the "glossy flyer" (which was a piece of a glossy page cut from Vogue or such like) was a piece of paper telling the usual tale of woe that these guys peddle.
    At the end of the message, it said that the guy would return to your car and collect your donation or take the "flyer" back.

There's always a new marketing angle from these guys!

I watched everyone in the queue return the note without a donation. Well done to everyone who did this. It is the only way that all this intimidation at traffic lights will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

"However, stapled to the "glossy flyer" (which was a piece of a glossy page cut from Vogue or such like) was a piece of paper telling the usual tale of woe that these guys peddle.
    At the end of the message, it said that the guy would return to your car and collect your donation or take the "flyer" back."
    - Monsieur D

innovation at it's finest!

slightly OT (soz) I had a polish lad call to my door with a picture that his 'dying sister' had drawn especially for me :D He showed me the picture which was a photocopied line drawing of a cat on a bunch of roses

weak with laughter I bid him good day

Would never give money to any doorstopper (I'm looking at you secondary school charity walkers!) Live on me lonesome anyway so don't answer the door if I don't know the score, The lad above caught me as I was getting the post, cheered me right up even though I was saddened to see what he was doing for a living

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

saw the old one try put her hand on womans bag at the pedestrian crossing by debenhams, i stepped between, and when she started her shakes, i sang "she's got the hippy hippy shakes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

there always seems to be one or two around the junction from childers road turning onto the crescent. Hopefully people are being alerted to this as I saw it in the limerick independent lately, every time i passed tehm, i havnt seen a driver give them money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

That "old cripple lady" often comes to Irish Cancer Society in Limerick with her grandother and while she pretends that she wants to buy something her grandother tries to still what ever she can.
    And she s been caught and she still comes back to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

there were kids going around caherdavin yesterday looking for "sponsorship" for st. francis boxing club, they didnt know what to do when i asked them to prove they were genuine, wound up just running off and shouting "hippy" at me!!!!

(this last part really pissed me off as i cut my beautiful long flowing hair in february to prevent this sort of thing from happening!)

one of em had an arm in a sling, i think i can remember reading about the same scam being puled in dooradoyle in the post a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

get the feeling they'll move on soon enough now that the money is starting to dry up, but they'll be back within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

zuroph wrote: »
    get the feeling they'll move on soon enough now that the money is starting to dry up, but they'll be back within a year.

Aye, they've been here back about 8 months now, they'll probably shift off to Cork or Galway for a bit. Saw that fella with the weird leg at Punches Cross yesterday, still getting money. Wasn't close enough to see exactly what the story was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

one update on super bussines going on... Fri morning there was lady calling on my door with a big box... she said that she has super deal for me a new nintendo wii for 140e with all gadgets and 39 preload games. when i said that i have only 100 left to next payday she said that I can have that for that 100e. I refused that again and she said that she will give that to me for 70e. Then she opened box and I saw some nice small console with loads of wires and another gadgets but it wasnt nintendo wii but some nin-ten-dooo wi aparently some chinese cheap crap. But she was determined to sell that as nintendo wii... poor fellas who bought that becouse you can get these on ebay from hong kong for about 30-40 with postage...

also I can see last two years thing which is common in my home country /slovakia and sorry for my english/ - you answer door bell and there you will have two nice dressed people telling you that your familly will suffer if you will have accident without their insurance which will cover your loss of earnings... now we will be afraid to open door to anyone soon as you never know who is on other side... perfect time to set up bussines with door intercoms with cameras with pre recorded message "sorry my england is no good no understin im rentin"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Wow, I never realised the old woman was fake. I never gave her too much thought, I felt sorry for her before. But now all I feel is revulsion! I salute the first person who punches her in the face, then kicks away her crutch. Who knows, maybe I'll do it myself!

This sort of dishonesty has no place in the world, their activities should be illegal. Another example of how stupidly PC this country has become. Ooh, okay...I'm better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheLaughingDog

Reminds me of the that golden oldie the knackers used to use many years ago. You know the one - "Milk for da baby", to which the standard reply was "Go squeeze your tit".
    No point in kicking the crutch out from underneath her or punching her in the face - probably have you up on assault charges. No, no. Do you know those annoying 1 cent pieces hiding in the darkest recesses of your wallets? Well now there's a use for them. Keep one in your pocket, next time you're accosted make a big spiel of taking out some money and then drop one 1 cent piece into her hand and, smiling, tell the useless kunt to go fvck herself. Of course, if you happen to be unforetunate enough to have one of them grab your leg then by all means trip, fall, and accidentally introduce your knee to their face or other area of soft tissue.

Advertisement