Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway City / Restaurant / Pub

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Coming to Galway again on Thurs, staying at the G
    Where do you recommend for a nice meal out in the city and also modern pubs, not really into the whole irish music spit on the floor type of pubs
    Any recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ilovelove

McSwiggans down in Woodquay is a good pub and do nice food. If you want somewhere special for dinner try Cookes restaurant. Quay street has some great pubs and High street....the Front Door, Buskers, The Quays.....ask in the pubs where the bar staff would go that should get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Right across the road from the G. It's been done up on the inside fairly trendy looking.

Just can't think of the name, my minds gone completely blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

ScumLord wrote: »
    Right across the road from the G. It's been done up on the inside fairly trendy looking.

Just can't think of the name, my minds gone completely blank.

Would that be 'The Huntsman'?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's the one. I used to go there as a kid and everything. My brains just mush at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 risk

I'd stay well away from the huntsman if I were you. Had lunch there at the weekend and was fairly bad. Not to mind the waitress I had who looked like she just really didn't want to be there.
    Da Roberta's down in salthill or foster's court are probable your best bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

risk wrote: »
    I'd stay well away from the huntsman if I were you. Had lunch there at the weekend and was fairly bad. Not to mind the waitress I had who looked like she just really didn't want to be there.
    Da Roberta's down in salthill or foster's court are probable your best bet

+1 on keeping well away from the Huntsman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Abalona (I think that's what it's called) on Dominick Street or Martines Wine bar on Quay Street. Thai Garden is always yummy too in the Spanish Arch area. Mc Swiggans food is fantastic and good prices too but they never change the menu..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Huntsman at lunchtime can be dodge esp at weekends but it is fab in the evenings.

DON't eat in the G.....dreadful; nice brekkie tho!!

Mcswiggans has really gone down hill, but martines is lovely. Have heard great things about Abalone also, and Cavas a new tapas place is supposed to be great also.

Pub wise huntsman across road from the G would be a nice starter place. Quays, Busker Brownes, Front door, Dew drop are all pretty main stream, as is Bunch of grapes, Kingshead, and Living room. Murphys and Freeneys are nice quaint types of places.... no spitting on the floor tho.

Bar no 8 and Sheridans on the docks do a good selection of different beers and wines....they're nice 'urbane' sort of places.

U may not appreciate Taaffes so I would avoid perhaps.

The G itself is very good for cocktails.

Hope this helps.

MH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

They are staying in the G Hotel. McSwiggans may cut it for a student type but I think this person is looking for something a little finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

Thats great thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

The Clayton in Doughiska is brilliant! The prices are close to the G but the portions are huge and the food is delicious. I would recommend the Lamb, it was superb. I would go more often if i could afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Angelandie wrote: »
    The Clayton in Doughiska is brilliant! The prices are close to the G but the portions are huge and the food is delicious. I would recommend the Lamb, it was superb. I would go more often if i could afford.

I've been to the clayton a few times now and everytime it's been terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I AM IN TOWN FOR xx reason
    WHERE IS THERE ANY good clubs/pubs/restaurants
    I HAVE SEARCHED this board/not this board

Fill out this survey when making a new thread on the galway board :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I've been to the clayton a few times now and everytime it's been terrible.

Its not a bad spot for weddings though; food has been fairly ok.... for a wedding.... any time I've been there....

Carvery ain't bad during the day also....

But on the whole, not my idea of haute cuisine either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I was treated to a meal at the malt house last week, it was very nice imo, and quite well priced for lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I'm not talking about the bar food now, thats overpriced muck! But the restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Kirwan's Lane is usually top class, but the prices reflect this. KC Blakes also can be very good but wasn't too impressed with it last time I went.

Advertisement