Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Route help flying into Santiago and out of Rio?

• 22-09-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi Guys,

I need help with my route i will be in South America for 3 months, wondering what is the best route to do has anyone here done this route flying into Santiago and out of Rio ? Want to see all the countries if time allows will i need to book many internal flights?

Any info would be really helpful from people who have done this

Thanks Maggie:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Maggie Moo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I need help with my route i will be in South America for 3 months, wondering what is the best route to do has anyone here done this route flying into Santiago and out of Rio ? Want to see all the countries if time allows will i need to book many internal flights?

Any info would be really helpful from people who have done this

Thanks Maggie:)

Is there anything that you want to see in particular that you might need to set a date to?Like Inca Trail,Bolivia,Galapagos,Amazon?

I had to book our Inca Trail in advance for a specific date so I'v had to arrange things around that as such.

I'd suggest doing a bit of research first into things you'd like to see around the continent and go from there.Ask in here too about unmissable places. It should give you a bit of structure to your plan and will help you get the best info out of fellow travellers on this forum.

I was in the same boat as you (Santiago to Buenes Aires in three months).With a bit of research and asking around,i'v been able to plan bits and pieces of the trip.then the rest of it will play as we go and see what happens!

Look at your options too for travel.You will hear alot on here about long,cheap,comfortable bus journeys and expensive,short flights.I would be of the opinion that its more fun to spend a week travelling to somewhere that would take you 4 hours in a plane,more adventure and things to see.

btw I haven't gone yet but you are in the positioin I was two months ago.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Maggie Moo

Hi Guys,

I am planning the following trip round SA beginning - any advice, recommendations etc will be greatly appreciated. I have no internal flights booked yet - but i know i will need some 1 of my main issues is booking the exact date of the inca trail - i prefer to go overland to experience people, culture and the environment from a first hand perspective.
    I am thinking of the following route - please offer any feedback you have:
    CHILE:
    Land in Santiago
    - (travel to Val Paraiso and Vina del Mar
    PERU:
    Fly to Lima
    - head to Arequipa and Coclca Canyon
    - machu pichu
    - Puno and Lake Titicaca (Isla del Sole, Copachobana ….)
    BOLIVIA:
    Overland to La Paz
    - Sucre
    - Salar de Uyuni
    - Potosi mines
    - Possibly Rurrenabaque and jungle trekking
    Possible option here is to:
    - Travel to Puerto Suarez and cross to Corumba – see The Pantanal
    - Bus to Campo Grande – another bus to Foz do Iguacu – see the falls etc. and then travel by bus to Argentine side of the falls
    ARGENTINA:
    o Make my way to BA
    - traverse back to Bariloche and make my way down to El Calafate (Moreno Glazier and then onto Torres del Paine
    - Possibly head to Tiera del fuego and Ushuaia as well
    - After finishing Torres Del Paine etc.. in the South I will make my way back up to Buenos Aires overland – possible flight here if available and necessary
    BRAZIL:
    Fly BA – Rio
    I haven't done much research on Brazil yet so pretty vague here but the following are definite:l
    - Salvador
    - Manaus – as far as I can tell this is a gateway to the Amazon
    o I want to head into the Amazon and do some trekking and a boat trip up one of the tributaries – don't know where to start here – any advice / personal experience would be greatly appreciated
    - The Pantanal if I haven't already gone from Bolivia
    COLOUMBIA:
    Fly Rio – Bogota
    Haven't done any research here yet so open for suggestion
    From Columbia (if I make it here) I will fly out to Central America and another journey begins! After this im not sure what i will do??

Is this good from experiance i would also love to fit in Guyana, Suriname and french Guiana but i dont know if this is possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

PERU:
    Fly to Lima
    - head to Arequipa and Coclca Canyon
    - machu pichu

If your doing Machu Pichu its advised to go to cusco for a few days before hand to acclimatise and leave Lima till after. When I booked my Inca Trail apart of getting the permit is that you have to pay the full amount in person @ cusco 3 days beforehand so they are sure that you have acclimatise beforehand.

You could do a good bit of Boliva beforehand and the rest on the way back?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

If you were to go Bolivia - Puno - Cuzco then you'd already be acclimatized. If you're planning on trekking it'd make it easier for you if you're well used to the altitude by the time you start.
    At the end there you plan on going all the way back down to Rio then flying to Bogota? That'd be long or expensive (if you fly). You could take a boat down the Amazon to Colombia then taking an internal flight in colombia. Not sure how long that would take, I didn't do it myself but heard of others doing it. You also have to be up for roughing it to handle those boats.
    And if you don't want to be tied down to being anywhere any particular time then you could do the jungle trek to Macchu Pichhu. Some say it's better. For that you can book the day before. You spend the first day cycling and trek after that. And it's cheaper.
    Although doing all that in 3 months - you'll have to stick to a bit a schedule anyway so booking ahead of time won't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

You have a huge amount that you want to do in 3 months! You never mentioned the time of year, that would have an impact on your itinerary. Also, to go to Rurre, fly from La Paz, there is a bus. It's not worth it. Flights are, to say the least, an adventure, and a lot easier. Maybe if you're starting in Santiago you might be better off heading south first (again, time of year depending) and working your way back up? Go Santiago, down to Bariloche via the Chilean lake district, or else Mendoza, then down to El Calafate, TdP, and fly to BsAs (very little of note on east side of Arg), fly to Salta, bus to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile, head into Bolivia through Salar de Uyuni, go to Potosi, head to La Paz (possibly taking in Sucre/Cochabamba - would highly recommend PN toro toro), fly to Rurre, back to La Paz, bus to Copacabana, Lake Titicaca, Isla del Sol, into Puno, and then to Cusco, Inca Trail, or Salkantay depending on which you want to do, from there do the southern loop of Peru to Lima and fly to Rio. That will be a relatively expensive flight, but overland is not worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

Sorry, forgot Colombia, you can head up from Lima, there is a bus that goes from Lima to Bogota (not sure I'd fancy it), or fly, but in 3 months you'd be hard pressed to get the other stuff done. I'll be in Colombia myself in Dec, so until then I can't give any recommendations for there:)

Advertisement