Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm thinkin of buying this..

• 22-09-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the new thread, merge if neccesary. I didn't wanna read through the threads incase a barrage of balance-fighting made me decide to not play at all.

Is anyone playing yet? Does it rock, or is it another sub-standard showstopper launch?

What's the general verdict?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yes, we are all playing it. It does rock, and the verdict is pretty good so far. If you like plenty of PvP in your mmo's, then its the game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Nice, cheers!

I've read a bit about the RvR and public quests, it sounds pretty groovy. Saw the levelling system is a bit different too.. I like PvP, but can you honestly "level" from it in this game?

What's the death penalty like.. lots of PvP means lots of ganking.. (I guess..?)

Loooots of questions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I like PvP, but can you honestly "level" from it in this game

Yes you can,i went from lvl 9 to lvl 11 just by standing next to the battle guy who gives you repeatable rvr quests,then joined the list for rvr scenario.
    Off i went to the scenarios,completed quests,got renown and xp from playing scenarios and more for winning,hand in quests.
    Rinse and repeat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's incredibly fun.

I'm new to MMORPG and this is the first one I've tried apart from some dabbling with a promo copy of Everquest when I was 12.

It's bloody brilliant, only problem I'm having is that it can be hard enough to solo.

Other than, it's sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 romdjoll

It is a lot of fun - death penalty is virtually non-existent, you respawn back at your rally point (nearest camp) with a debuff, but you can pay a healer to take the debuff off (only a few brass coins) then plunge straight back into the action.

There are anti-ganking measures (the chicken mechanic) if you want to roll on an open RvR server, but there isn't much need to roll on one since there are huge RvR lakes in every tier (plus the scenarios) which mean you're never lacking in opportunities to mash some other player - or get trampled under a zerg (I'm order, it happens...).

You can rank up purely through scenarios, but you're not a lot of use in them til you hit rank 4 and get some decent ablilities - be prepared to die a lot initially if you choose this route. Makes more sense to start out with a bit of PVE and some PQs to get half-way decent gear and then hit the scenarios.

Basically, the game starts out at a crazy pace and doesn't let up. There's no downtime at all if you're smart about your server choice and keep to the levelling curve (that latter bit being really important - no point steamrolling ahead and finding you have to solo-grind your way through a tier).

It's just pure fun, so yeah, you should give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kiith wrote: »
    Yes, we are all playing it. It does rock, and the verdict is pretty good so far. If you like plenty of PvP in your mmo's, then its the game for you.

QFT
    I've played from 13-15 today just from tier 2 scenarios. PVE is great fun as well though, especially getting stuck into public quests.

This is the game that I felt WoW should have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Definitely worth buying if you play MMOs or like PvP in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

27 thumbs up, I love it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Funnily enough you level faster from PvP then PvE it seems, plus the loot is nice!

its a very convoluted game and has a bit of a learning curve but its excellent once you get the hang of it. It doesnt play like wow much imho, it is actually a lot more like Team Fortress sometimes :)

There is virtually no down time and you can keep yourself busy doing a variety of things, all of which you will benefit in some way from. This is going to be a short game unlessthey have the old EQ idea of hell levels in it :)

The lack of down time actually makes it feel frantic at times and certainly I dont feel a lot of "tension" in the fights because if I die... meh, who cares but its not that sort of game and when you realise that, its a lot more fun. The only game-problem is that the players are muppets and some/most RVR degrades into two zergs with the most spammy one winning, but a tight team of guild players on Ventrilo can slice through that. Unfortunately the out-of-game issue with server wait times means that I have yet to spend any decent time on the Boards guild server.... :(

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

DeVore wrote: »
    Funnily enough you level faster from PvP then PvE it seems, plus the loot is nice!

its a very convoluted game and has a bit of a learning curve but its excellent once you get the hang of it. It doesnt play like wow much imho, it is actually a lot more like Team Fortress sometimes :)

There is virtually no down time and you can keep yourself busy doing a variety of things, all of which you will benefit in some way from. This is going to be a short game unlessthey have the old EQ idea of hell levels in it :)

The lack of down time actually makes it feel frantic at times and certainly I dont feel a lot of "tension" in the fights because if I die... meh, who cares but its not that sort of game and when you realise that, its a lot more fun. The only game-problem is that the players are muppets and some/most RVR degrades into two zergs with the most spammy one winning, but a tight team of guild players on Ventrilo can slice through that. Unfortunately the out-of-game issue with server wait times means that I have yet to spend any decent time on the Boards guild server.... :(

DeV.
    I took part in some pretty decent sized RvR in beta. Initially it generally devolves into zergs, but then flanking groups form, melee gank squads, AoE'ers with healers all of which can cut an overzealous zerg in half in just a few seconds. If you apply pressure to the right place, at the right time, most noob/pug groups will fold like origami.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent played wow in about a month, my friend works for goa and she has a collectors edition or somethin for me but im still waiting for it so i might just go out and buy it this friday then sell the ce when she gives it to me!!

it will be sweet on my new system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

copeyhagen wrote: »
    it will be sweet on my new system

It's smooth as silk with everything maxxed out on a year old system with a 320MB 8800GTS, far from the most demanding game out there.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ivan wrote: »
    I took part in some pretty decent sized RvR in beta. Initially it generally devolves into zergs, but then flanking groups form, melee gank squads, AoE'ers with healers all of which can cut an overzealous zerg in half in just a few seconds. If you apply pressure to the right place, at the right time, most noob/pug groups will fold like origami.
    I completely agree, my problem is that my alt is on a non boards server and being the only one in the PUG saying "so, er... I'll stay and guard this flag then yeah? on my own eh? you all have a good time over there, I'm sure I'll have company soon" is a pain in the ass. I swear, if I see one more healer running into the front of a mosh to do their pathetic damage I will scream :)

I think that will change as people learn to play their class or get tired of being owned and leave :)

I have learned a great deal about playing an Engineer recently myself... they have their faults but unless they are exploited, they can own with Dots :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Devore - the queues on Azgal should lessen over the next couple of weeks. You should join us. The boards guild has over 50 members, we rvr most nights. Tis good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

DeVore wrote: »
    I completely agree, my problem is that my alt is on a non boards server and being the only one in the PUG saying "so, er... I'll stay and guard this flag then yeah? on my own eh? you all have a good time over there, I'm sure I'll have company soon" is a pain in the ass. I swear, if I see one more healer running into the front of a mosh to do their pathetic damage I will scream :)

I think that will change as people learn to play their class or get tired of being owned and leave :)

I have learned a great deal about playing an Engineer recently myself... they have their faults but unless they are exploited, they can own with Dots :)

DeV.

Yeah, tell me about it. Melee dps and tanks that just run headlong into the opposing zerg and get healed, so think they are invincible. Then WHAM! they drop and its the healers fault :p

A friend from work is playing a maurader. He's really good at it, runs forward and lays some good hits on a healer or caster too far forward, gets a killing blow if he can but his first objective is to stay alive. So he falls back with a bunch of ranged dps and casters on him, who all over extend and then get swarmed by our melee.

It's poetry in motion and really does beat the hell out of "CC dps while you focus the healers" of ye old WoW =)

I was actually guilty of that when playing my Chosen. Not the "blame the healer", but the charging into a massive group of enemies. I was seriously taxing Rooty's healing abilities. Now i've switched to a Shaman though, and its something i notice a lot of people do. I also hate it when people shout, in caps, "HEAL!" as if we dont know that they need one.

Btw, Shamans are fantastic fun.

You know whats cool about Engineers.... the best thing TO do is run into the middle of it and start pumping shotgun rounds out and flinging acid grenades! Sneak around back of the healers if you can and drop a turret but keep it defensive, fling an acid grenade or two on the run and then go Leroy Jenkins on their ass with the shotgun. Its very disruptive as its all AOE (your turret will be firing aoe blasts too!). All the healers stop to heal themselves and oops, there goes the neighbourhood and the front line :)

DeV.

Thanks everyone, I bought it, am playing Order on K8P.

Huray!

Boo!!

I wish more of ye were on Makaisson.

I',m playing a dwarf engineer, it's great fun. Tough at first but they really work well when in a team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Btw, Shamans are fantastic fun.

Fully agree!

Bah!

Doesn't look like anyone's interested in starting a guild on Order server. Destruction are a bit... emo I think. Not anything like the Horde because at least they had an agenda, Destruction just feels like evil for evil's sake. sorry for mentioning wow.. Except Greenskins, of course, who we all know rock.

Right, I'm playing a Witch Hunter (Wasn't I just saying the other side were emo?? :pac:) and that's that. Will I reroll me WH on Azgal to have even a remote chance of meeting any boardzees in game?

my friend that works for goa game mea cd key the key was validated and i got the following in an email:

our Code has been correctly registered. It also gives you access to the following components which have been activated:

Head Start licence
    Head Start Collector's Edition period (14/09/2008 to 01/10/2008 included)

so i tried to download the game from their site and it wont start the download, tells me to check my network settings.

is this to do with the ports?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

my friend that works for goa game mea cd key the key was validated and i got the following in an email:

our Code has been correctly registered. It also gives you access to the following components which have been activated:

Head Start licence
    Head Start Collector's Edition period (14/09/2008 to 01/10/2008 included)

so i tried to download the game from their site and it wont start the download, tells me to check my network settings.

is this to do with the ports?

Do torrents normally work for you? And that's not a cd-key, just a pre-order headstart key from the CE.

i have 2 keys yeh and torrents work fine yeh.

i havent messed with the ports cuz its a new machine and router but torrents have run up to about 750kbps.

anyone got a link to download it from somewhere else please?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

i have 2 keys yeh and torrents work fine yeh.

i havent messed with the ports cuz its a new machine and router but torrents have run up to about 750kbps.

anyone got a link to download it from somewhere else please?!

If torrents work, then you can use this one.

http://download.goa.com/war/clientdl/wareuopenbeta.torrent

yeh i got that earleir thanks a million im playin it now. runnin around tryin different classes.

Anyone who wants to play with Order come to Makaisson....

I'm an Engineer.

might try an order tomoro just getting a feel for the game at the mo

• Advertisement
Advertisement