Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of RAM for Dell Dimension?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an old Dell Dimension that runs well enough for my kids mainly on the net but it takes ages to get warmed up as it's only got 256mb of RAM.

Can someone please advise me what RAM i should order just to speed it up expecially when it is switched on can take ten minutes before it's ready to use and still it groans and grinds a lot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an old Dell Dimension that runs well enough for my kids mainly on the net but it takes ages to get warmed up as it's only got 256mb of RAM.

Can someone please advise me what RAM i should order just to speed it up expecially when it is switched on can take ten minutes before it's ready to use and still it groans and grinds a lot?

Could be anything. Best bet is go to crucial.com and fill in the fields, it'll tell you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

input the model etc to this page (about half way down on the left hand side)
    should let u know how much memory you can install and which type.
    there in celbridige so postage is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Go to the dell site and insert the service tag number. That'll get you all the info on your machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

You should also run a spyware and virus scan, an instance of Ccleaner, and disk cleanup and disk defragment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Varkov wrote: »
    You should also run a spyware and virus scan, an instance of Ccleaner, and disk cleanup and disk defragment.

Thanks i did that a few times but didn't make much difference.

Hard drive is only 1/3 full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

John mac wrote: »
    input the model etc to this page (about half way down on the left hand side)
    should let u know how much memory you can install and which type.
    there in celbridige so postage is good.

Fixed the link for ya :)

But this is the one i would use though it gives a very handy run through where you put in your computer details and it has on file the types of memory which would be bang on for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

whats the model of it, its a dell dimension sumtin, theres loads of numbers, could be a 8300/8400 , or lower, but yuo should see sumtin like Dell Dimension 8300 written on the case =), then we can tell u what ram it takes :P, Or just do the scan on www.crucial/com/uk its brilliant, ive used it on my old dell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Folks,

Thanks for all your help!

I got the memory yesterday from crucialmemory.com and popped it in within two minutes and it's made an immense difference.

Very pleased with the result ;)

By the way it is a Dell Dimension 1000.

All sorted and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Great, glad you got sorted, crucial is great isnt it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Make sure to double check for spyware and the like - XP does not normally 'take ages to get warmed up', even on 256mb of Ram. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement