Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

red tdi somene explain (warning, contains traces of nuts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

tossy wrote: »
    I would go for the PD 115 over the non pd anyday,not as economical but much smoother and generally a better engine.

I thought so alright but i would imagine that a 6 speed box would be a lot more to insure than a 5 speed.I'm under 25 if you're wondering....True about the engine itself, though.I think the pd's feel a lot more sprightly too
    DJ Hafez wrote: »
    115bhp models are very very very hard to find. Have been lookin for one for ages because insurance on the 130bhp is out of my price range :p

Very true.The 115s i've looked at have all been Bora's.I quite like those as well.A lot less "predictable" than a golf, i think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Savage, savage torque outta them. A lot of the recent problems ( mudslides etc ) on kerrys roads were actually due to tdi drivers flooring it at 1350rpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

be wary of paying any extra for a red tdi.. if your prepared to part with a few extra €€€, speed-holes and/or go-faster-stripes are the areas you should spend your money on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Gerry wrote: »
    Savage, savage torque outta them. A lot of the recent problems ( mudslides etc ) on kerrys roads were actually due to tdi drivers flooring it at 1350rpm.
    I heard that a remapped VAG TDI is powering the Large Hadron Collider.

No danger from the black holes though, they can all safely be accommodated in the boot of an Octavia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

friend of mine has a 06 1.9 pd tdi 5 speed golf van remaped to a suspected 165bhp its torquey but not fast, it embarrised my calibra turbo 204 bhp standard through the gears, not much between them, mine suffers turbo lag, but when your talking speed tdis are not geared for doubling motorway speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I've seen a remapped Golf Tdi beating Civic Sir's, Type R's, almera Gti's and evos.

Some power in the yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I've seen a remapped Golf Tdi beating Civic Sir's, Type R's, almera Gti's and evos.

Some power in the yoke.

Aye, saw an anniversary model remapped to like 210 or 220 slaughter an evo.... crazily quick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Dirty Diesel is spot on, the red DI passat's remap to about 170bhp, a friend of mine had his done and the speed of it was phenomenal, I've driven a 350z and this still felt fast.. The letters aren't meaningless if they are on correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Aye, saw an anniversary model remapped to like 210 or 220 slaughter an evo.... crazily quick

Was the evo going in reverse? which evo was it?

as i said earlier i know of a few TDI golfs with serious work done to them i.e hybrid turbos,larger FMIC,bigger injectors etc that can hold their own against certain evo's up to a certain speed,but slaughtering one is a different story!

You can't remap a 150 to 220 either,at least if you did it would most likely only get to "slaughter" one evo in its very short lifespan!

Im not anti TDI at all,i think the are a fantastic engine will support the cause against the usual anti VW/TDI flack but when i hear talk about slaughtering EVOs etc i cringe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No VW TDI beat an evo, don't care what anyone says.

Jesus..some people really like to dream..

• Advertisement

Was the evo going in reverse? which evo was it?

Evo 6 afaik, 99 or 00? the golf had it off the line n kept the lead til a corner came :P i'd say the evo would have done it otherwise ;)

Woman/dude with long hair was driving the evo too, but of course that should make NO difference :p

my corsa car-van is 'mapped from 62.5 bhp, right the way up to 66.0 bhp and has been know to EAT starbos [non-turbo]etc.. on many an occasion. going to get a decat done this weekend and loiter around the lights for a evo, gtr etc..show them whats up.

tayto909 wrote: »
    my corsa car-van is 'mapped from 62.5 bhp, right the way up to 66.0 bhp and has been know to EAT starbos [non-turbo]etc.. on many an occasion. going to get a decat done this weekend and loiter around the lights for a evo, gtr etc..show them whats up.

Smooth :p Why does every thread turn into a VAG-diesel-bashing one!

ok an evoVI puts out around 270bhp to 4 wheels,against a 220BHP diesel golf(im a bit dubious about that figure from a remap alone) to the front wheels,and the both pretty much weight the same.

So lets say the pilot in the golf is quite decent and its dry and the pilot in the evo is useless and is caught napping when the light goes green,then i guess its possible that the might be close,even level but not slaughter like!

seriously though, i do drive a corsa carvan. i did the 'drill-the-airbox' mod one day and felt like a prat 5 mins later. i was only fooling myself. time to buy a comfortline 130bhp golf van, a nice re-map, and stop messing around.

Smooth :p Why does every thread turn into a VAG-diesel-bashing one!

because its boards and this is how they roll :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

because its boards and this is how they roll :cool:

True that.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭pppspecial

ive a mitsubishi evo 4 and a 150 bhp golf inmyshowroom and no tdi 8v will ever beat the evo. the 2.0tdimodels might glimmer asmallchance remapped.

ok an evoVI puts out around 270bhp to 4 wheels,against a 220BHP diesel golf(im a bit dubious about that figure from a remap alone) to the front wheels,and the both pretty much weight the same.

So lets say the pilot in the golf is quite decent and its dry and the pilot in the evo is useless and is caught napping when the light goes green,then i guess its possible that the might be close,even level but not slaughter like!

Golf was anni model, ur man claimed it was over 200bhp, said he bought it at 180bhp standard, even tho i dont think it even comes above 150? (im jus relayin info)... got staight off the mark, accelerated perfectly, evo had front wheels where the golfs back were, when the evo changed gears, evo dropped further back, went for it again and the "race" was over.... if it was 100m longer the evo would have definetly won, but it shows how a diesel can actually go somewhere.

pppspecial wrote: »
    ive a mitsubishi evo 4 and a 150 bhp golf inmyshowroom and no tdi 8v will ever beat the evo. the 2.0tdimodels might glimmer asmallchance remapped.

A 150 remapped and a 2.0TDI remapped = the same result around 200bhp and mountains of torque,but no EVO beater.

All TDI's will be putting out a little more as standard so its not unknown for a 150 to be putting out 180 standard,it still wont remap to 220.The only advantage (over a standard golf) it would have by being an anni is better stopping power and slightly lower suspension,not real evo beating qualities.

Again im not knocking TDI's my last car was a TDI golf and i loved it,but i knew its limitations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

i've seen remapped golf tdi's eat m3's, m5's, supra's, glanza's and gto's

savage yokes - can't bate a tdi with a remap

i'd put good money on this thread being locked by tomorrow lunch time,2 types of people are going to wake up tomorrow morning read this thread and feel compelled to contribute....

1. TDI owners who with the best of intentions really believe the drive weapons.

2. The anti VW/Audi/TDI/1.9 faction that resides here on boards.

As a result this thread will descend into chaos and be locked,depriving the genuine motoring heads here another chance to have a debate on just that motoring!

One side will post how their remapped passat is a weapon on the motorway,the other will counteract with its heavy or prehistoric or its not a HDI and/or TDCI and so it will continue like a bland game of motoring tennis between two equally uninformed sides of the divide that is motoring on boards.ie.....

I think maybe there should be a new sub forum called mouthering set up that all these types can frequent and leave the motoring section to the motoring fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

i'd put good money on this thread being locked by tomorrow lunch time,2 types of people are going to wake up tomorrow morning read this thread and feel compelled to contribute....

1. TDI owners who with the best of intentions really believe the drive weapons.

2. The anti VW/Audi/TDI/1.9 faction that resides here on boards.

As a result this thread will descend into chaos and be locked,depriving the genuine motoring heads here another chance to have a debate on just that motoring!

One side will post how their remapped passat is a weapon on the motorway,the other will counteract with its heavy or prehistoric or its not a HDI and/or TDCI and so it will continue like a bland game of motoring tennis between two equally uninformed sides of the divide that is motoring on boards.ie.....

I think maybe there should be a new sub forum called mouthering set up that all these types can frequent and leave the motoring section to the motoring fans.

Tossy is one of the only ones here taking sense. He knows what he's on about.
    Seriously... you take a car that accelerates from 0-60 in around 8.5 seconds, you re-map it, add maybe what, 40 bhp? All of a sudden it can whip a car that can (stock) crack 60 in under 5 seconds. Now does that sound feasable to you guys, cause to me it sounds like manure.
    The other thing that's funny is the thought that no other engine in the world can be remapped or tuned apart from TDI's.
    Things to take from this thread before it's locked are:
    1. VAG TDI engines are capable enough when remapped.
    2. Evo drivers in Ireland are among the most incompetent fools in the world.
    3. Badge colours are to be ignored, buy the car according to kw info.
    4. There are two types of people on boards - those that think the 1.9TDi is more powerful than He-man himself, and those who think that they were invented by a Tyranasaurous Rex and should be kept in a museum to show how not to make an engine.
    5. Perception of fast in Ireland is as varied as the ways in which the Irish approach a roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Golf was anni model, ur man claimed it was over 200bhp, said he bought it at 180bhp standard, even tho i dont think it even comes above 150? (im jus relayin info)... got staight off the mark, accelerated perfectly, evo had front wheels where the golfs back were, when the evo changed gears, evo dropped further back, went for it again and the "race" was over.... if it was 100m longer the evo would have definetly won, but it shows how a diesel can actually go somewhere.

There is no way in the in that TDI with 200bhp could beat an evo to 60.

If the driver of the evo was not able to drive, you can't exactly call that a win for the vw, or perhaps the evo got stuck on the bull****e the tdi driver was spewing, and sat there spinning it's wheels for 5 minutes.

Like claiming that a TDI is quicker than a veyron because you passed a parked one.

Please don't make crazy claims about TDI's and their pace, and save the brand from the ridicule that normally accompanies TDI threads here.
    It's a mildly quick car, but no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

thanks for advice!those of you who answered my question.

Other than that....... YAWN zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

But the red TDI is not just a remap, it's a Mr. Fusion warp drive!

Eats Ferraris and spits them out!

Biro wrote: »
    Seriously... you take a car that accelerates from 0-60 in around 8.5 seconds, you re-map it, add maybe what, 40 bhp? All of a sudden it can whip a car that can (stock) crack 60 in under 5 seconds. Now does that sound feasable to you guys, cause to me it sounds like manure.
    The other thing that's funny is the thought that no other engine in the world can be remapped or tuned apart from TDI's.
    4. There are two types of people on boards - those that think the 1.9TDi is more powerful than He-man himself, and those who think that they were invented by a Tyranasaurous Rex and should be kept in a museum to show how not to make an engine.
    5. Perception of fast in Ireland is as varied as the ways in which the Irish approach a roundabout!

6. A TDI will give any car "a run for its money" until it hits "the twisty bits"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Robbo wrote: »
    I heard that a remapped VAG TDI is powering the Large Hadron Collider.

No danger from the black holes though, they can all safely be accommodated in the boot of an Octavia.

:D Best so far. I heard the techs had to anchor the TDI 3 miles into the bedrock as the torque was so great it was in danger of realigning techtonic plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Biro wrote: »

I dont think I have ever agreed with anything you have posted until now but thats just genius:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

VH wrote: »
    i've seen remapped golf tdi's eat m3's, m5's,

I have great respect for the vag tdi but i would have my duubts on if it could beat an m5

Advertisement