Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

red tdi somene explain (warning, contains traces of nuts)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

nor will it wake the neighbours early every morning
    Because it will be in the garage getting work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Bora/1.9TDI-130BHP/1191711/

We will of course be remapping it to what was originally intended, 165bhp give or take a few. Get me a 02 car that is at least as fast and as inexpensive as this one.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/206/2.0-gti/1152223/
    0-60 - 7.4
    Top Sp: 137

And I can't believe you actually put up a bora! Lucky you get the casette player thrown in!
    The shame of driving one...

And a nice saving too..
    You're after making those TDI's look awful expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Climate expert stick to changing the world:D

Why is diesel viewed as being the better fuel when it produces 28% more C02 per litre and is the no1 cause of asthma in the world??? not even allowed in states in america due to how much smog it causes just cant understand the puch towards diesel

Again tax, fuel and insurance are going to be out of budget. Plus that GTI has some issues and is far underpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

stretchaq wrote: »

Why is diesel viewed as being the better fuel when it produces 28% more C02 per litre and is the no1 cause of asthma in the world??? not even allowed in states in america due to how much smog it causes just cant understand the puch towards diesel

Than what? The real stat should be a comparison per distance.

Diesel engines generate 10-20% lower CO2 emissions per mile than an equivalent petrol engine

• Advertisement

Who says I prefer diesel? I'm getting a petrol V8 in a few months. I just don't like misinformation.

Again tax, fuel and insurance are going to be out of budget. Plus that GTI has some issues and is far underpriced.

I'd say you have a few issues yourself....

cancan wrote: »
    I'd say you have a few issues yourself....
    Yeah, of What Car magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm with tossy on this one. I'm a big fan of the VAG, the TDI's are quick, but to claim they can beat evo's, Impreza's etc is just off the wall.

I drove the 150 TDI for a while but given a choice between that and a GTI, GTI wins hands down. In fact my mk2 GTI feels quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

:):):)

Yeah, of What Car magazine.
    :D:D:pac:

At least your passion for lumpy diesel cars is as good as your sense of humour.... Good ones!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Than what? The real stat should be a comparison per distance.

Diesel engines generate 10-20% lower CO2 emissions per mile than an equivalent petrol engine

10/20% per mile is depending on MPG etc.

Per litre 28% more C02

bazz26 wrote: »
    ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg

:rolleyes:

love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

10/20% per mile is depending on MPG etc.

Per litre 28% more C02

Yesssss, and a diesel uses many fewer litres, thus not as CO2 polluting.

depending on MPG thats my point more efficent petrols are the way forward golf tsi is getting there for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Diesel is all of that, and more besides.

I have to correct you on the CO2 thing though. A litre of diesel burns 12% more CO2 than petrol.

1l petrol = 2.37 kg CO2
    1l diesel = 2.65 kg CO2

Diesel is not allowed in the states because it's not as clean as petrol, and those that scape in have less power and cost more to buy.

I've expressed my dislike of diesels on many occasions here on motors, just look at any of the recent-ish petrol vs diesel threads and it's all there why we should not want to have more filthy dirty diesels on our roads, not just on environmental grounds(there is no debate about that, it's a fact), but also why petrol is a better driving experience(which has been debated ad-naseum here before).

I won't go any further with my diesel bashing in this thread you'll be pleased to know:), but suffice to say I had some laugh over the amount of deluded posts going on.

Fair play to tossy and Zonda999 for your comments too, you're good ambassadors for your favoured brands, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for some of the VAG fanboys on this forum when they start talking about that 1.9 TDI.

At least you 2 live in the real world.

Another great E92 template post.

'Ambassadors for your brand' ....lol for **** sake
    ps. Diesel is allowed in the States.

Another great E92 template post.

'Ambassadors for your brand' ....lol for **** sake
    ps. Diesel is allowed in the States.

..yes - after you extensively modify the euro spec engines to inject urea into the exhaust to reduce nitrogen-oxide so the kids won't choke.

The std euro diesel produces far too much particulate matter to be deemed safe to be sold there....

The urea tank must be refilled every 8000 miles or so, at a nice profit for your dealer, and this whole process robs the engine of about 20% of it's power. At $35 a gallon, and most cars requiring an 8 gallon tank, the complexity isn't worth the bother over petrol engines

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

OP have you got your answer to your question yet???

I drive a 1.9TDI, it is pokey and a nice drive and comfortable, that where it ends.

I will be not be burning past any EVO's and any other speed machine!!

And what does it matter if they can hit 200mph in 4 seconds! You dont need me to tell you the speed limits on our roads!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

E92 wrote: »
    Diesel is not allowed in the states because it's not as clean as petrol, and those that scape in have less power and cost more to buy.

Jeez someone better tell BMW USA To think they are selling those diesels in USA and they are not allowed.

Im not shouting...just straight copy from BMW USA website

EUROPEAN BMW 118d ADVANCED DIESEL NAMED 2008 WORLD GREEN
    CAR AT THE 2008 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

Mylow wrote: »
    Jeez someone better tell BMW USA To think they are selling those diesels in USA and they are not allowed.

Im not shouting...just straight copy from BMW USA website

EUROPEAN BMW 118d ADVANCED DIESEL NAMED 2008 WORLD GREEN
    CAR AT THE 2008 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

And check what they had to to to them to make them legal......

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

cancan wrote: »
    And check what they had to to to them to make them legal......

But they are for sale in 'states'.

I believe the urea requirements is only in California.

I wonder do all those greyhound buses and big rigs also have urea tanks?

I do wonder if a domestic US car maker had developed a very efficient diesel engine would they find the legislator strangling them with red tape. Can you honestly say big petrol engines are 'more green' than a small diesel engine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

you cant buy a 118d in the USA

Mylow wrote: »
    But they are for sale in 'states'.

I believe the urea requirements is only in California.

I wonder do all those greyhound buses and big rigs also have urea tanks?

I do wonder if a domestic US car maker had developed a very efficient diesel engine would they find the legislator strangling them with red tape. Can you honestly say big petrol engines are 'more green' than a small diesel engine???

They are not on sale in the US.
    The Jetta is on sale, and a couple of mercs in diesel form - no bmw's as yet.

Trucks are regulated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

OP have you got your answer to your question yet???

I drive a 1.9TDI, it is pokey and a nice drive and comfortable, that where it ends.

I will be not be burning past any EVO's and any other speed machine!!

And what does it matter if they can hit 200mph in 4 seconds! You dont need me to tell you the speed limits on our roads!!

im the op and
    yup i got my answer this thread has got way out of control lmfao

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

this thread has got way out of control lmfao

welcome to boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ignore the VAG heads... buy an Alfa!

ok I'll leave now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

steve06 wrote: »
    Ignore the VAG heads... buy an Alfa!

ok I'll leave now! :D