Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Does this come out Friday? Anyone getting it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yes it does come out this Friday, i havent really seen anything that would make me buy it, i reckon ill stick unitll COD:WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yes it does come out this Friday, i havent really seen anything that would make me buy it, i reckon ill stick unitll COD:WOW.

Yeah, it's a shame it's not coming out for another 7 weeks. This may be a good renter – the last ones didn't have much replay value.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be getting it. Thought the last one, Earned in Blood, was absolutely fantastic and played completely differently to the rest of the generic WW2 games out there. The fix and flank tactics and the scripting made it far more realistic and strategic than most other FPS games. I've a feeling this will be great but will unfortunately get totally dismissed by the Call of Duty crowd who expect another dumb action shooter and get a completely different beast.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I played through the original Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 and thought it was pretty good shooter overall. Gameplay was decent and thats the main thing, graphics where solid for the time.

Two major gripes where very annoying load times which seem to take for ever to load certain levels. But the most annoying thing was that the damn characters where so cliched and the dialogue so forced it just made the characters deaths which where mean't to be profound, moments you actually thought oh thank god I don't have to here that twat drone on again by his horrid poetry.

I breifly played the sequel but it was pretty much the same, felt more like an expansion. I hear the A.I of enemy soliders was improved but the friendly A.I got stupidier.

Having seen videos for the third one they don't look overly impressive, very standard looking. Does not look like its going push the genre foward or anything but then again few games do.

Undecided on getting it. I'll wait to see what the reviews are like for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,425 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Road to Hill 30 was a bit contrived but the storytelling was far better in the second one, really had a Band of Brothers feel to it and the interview story telling mechanic was very well done. There's some parts when the main character doesn;t want to talk about the events that happened and they are handled extremely well, not what you would expect from your usual videogame.

Thought the enemy AI and friendly AI was greatly improved in the sequel as well. The enemy kept moving position and actively trying to flank you instead of just sitting in the one place waiting to be flanked. Being actually able to aim your gun was nice as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Does the sequel still have those big circle clock things for telling if the enemy is taking cover or whatever. Kind of breaks the immersion for one of (i thought) the more realistic WW2 shooters

It does have them but it also has the option of turning them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

There's a brothers in arms double pack containing the first two games coming out on Wii, also this friday iirc. I'll probably pick that up before I get this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Probably be a solid rental for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

pc release of this has been put back a week.console release date remains the same,this friday.

• Advertisement

7/10 from eurogamer. Main put downs are that the graphics aren't great and it can get repetitive. Still think I'll get it, enjoyed the first two.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what platform you gonna get it for?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just read Eurogamers review and seems to confirm my suspicions of a solid if unspectacular FPS.

Put downs where not just that it was repetitive (which nearly all FPS games are) and not that pretty from a graphics viewpoint. Its was also that the desctructable enviroments where limited and the story like I thought about the first game was overblown and forced. They also mentioned the AI seems to struggle with path finding at times.

The lack of weapon sway makes seems like a strange decision, I liked that about the first game.

Mutiplayer seemed pretty standard.

Just looking at the wikipedia page and the reviews seem roughly consistent with Eurogamer.

Eurogamer - 70%
    TeamXbox - 81%
    Official Xbox Magazine U.S. - 90%
    Computer and Video Games - 79%
    Video Gamer - 80%
    PC Gamer UK - 85%
    PSM3 - 70%
    Game Reactor - 70%
    IGN - 7.6

Probably a try before you buy if you haven't played the earlier ones. The lack of sway with the weapons seems strange as well. Sniping enemies in the original was really very difficult, itmeantyou have to flank in most cases to get a better shot.

Not sure which platform I'll get it on, I'll probably see if it's region free on 36 0 and then see if the PS3 version is cheaper on playasia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The original BIA games were great, and a nice change of pace from the one man army type of run n' gun FPS's. Ill definitely be getting this, not sure if ill go for PC or 360 tho.
    The sad thing is this is destined to be about a million times better than COD:WAW, but will sell about half as much while people scramble for their latest generic 'em up unlock filled 'ive got a new rocket powered grenade and am a level 50 sergeant major general' multiplayer ****fest from COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Did anyone buy this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

grizzly wrote: »
    Did anyone buy this?

I got it on the 360, it's decent enough, i keep trying to do too much myself and sucking. When you get your squad to do most of the work it becomes easier but less fun to play. The graphics aren't great at all and the AI leaves a lot to be desired on occasion. I would say it's a short enough game (judging on the achievement list) and there'll be little to no replay value. I didn't try the multiplayer yet, but I probably won't bother as it's not the greatest judging on feedback so far (i'm not too big into online gaming anyway)

I'd give it a 7 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I got it on the PS3 and I'm enjoying it. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it is fun. Like Bombleswizzum said, I keep trying to do everything myself and get killed. Once you use your time it get's easier (but can still be tough).

My main gripe is that it's a carry on from the story of the other games, and since I don't remember what happened in them, I've no idea what they're talking about in this one.

I think the GFX are pretty good. They're not up there with Crysis or Far Cry 2 etc, but they do the job. There's some great set sequences and it can get quite frantic at times when you're being suppressed by multiple MG's.

7/10 seems about right. If you liked the previous games, you'll like this. If you missed them, then you might want to rent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thoroughly unimpressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Thought it was a great game myself. One of the games of the year for sure and a lot better than a few of the critically more successful titles this year.

Great narrative, good combat = Great game!

• Advertisement

I thought the narrative sucked donkeyballs. Very cliche and trying too hard to pull on the heartstrings. Maybe if they bothered with some character development we would have cared.

I got this for the Pc today,I'll give it a bash over the weekend maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Got the PC version, absolutely love it. Fantastic game, best ww2 fps by a long chalk IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Id wait for operation flashpoint before this even...which btw looks unreal from the early review ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

humanji wrote: »
    I got it on the PS3 and I'm enjoying it...............

........I think the GFX are pretty good. They're not up there with Crysis or Far Cry 2 etc, but they do the job. There's some great set sequences and it can get quite frantic at times when you're being suppressed by multiple MG's.

Hold on, how can You compare a PS3 version to a PC only game like Crysis or Far Cry 2 which isn't even out yet :eek:

Has anyone played this on pc? How are the graphics? If it only looks ok on 360 like Bombleswizzum says I'd be convinced it can only be total shíte on pc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hold on, how can You compare a PS3 version to a PC only game like Crysis or Far Cry 2 which isn't even out yet :eek:

Has anyone played this on pc? How are the graphics? If it only looks ok on 360 like Bombleswizzum says I'd be convinced it can only be total shíte on pc

I completed Hell's Highway this weekend, a decent game, nothing spectacular but fun all the same, graphics imo are decent and game runs smoothly on my rig, Gameplay was decent a bit bit easy on vetheran (Easy on pc to get headshots, prob not so much using controller), game was very short, started playing on friday after college, finished yesterday, it deffo wasn't bad though

7.5/10-Would be more if it lasted longer

Nick

Cheers, thats a better review, I might just get this.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Got the PC version, absolutely love it. Fantastic game, best ww2 fps by a long chalk IMO

have to agree with you,if the other ones are this good,I may have to buy them,heres a cool pic of a kraut with half his leg blown off :):cool:

BROTHERSINARMS-1.jpg

BROTHERSINARMS-2.jpg

and heres another cool pic,Im playing this with gtx 260,how do ye think it looks?

• Advertisement

looks good, but I game @ 1920x1200, any chance of a higher res pic?

Advertisement