Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading "goal" at the weekend

• 22-09-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

This linesman is on his way to the blue square prem league I think. not sure how long the link to youtube will last, similar vid was removed yesterday. If you notice it is a reading player who tries to keep it in so the linesman must have thought the forward was trying to stop the ball from crossing the line.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

If this results stands and Watford miss out on promotion by 2 points should someone in Watford re-write Oscar Wild's poem 'The Balad of Reading Gaol' and call it 'The Ballad of Reading Goal'

Sorry, I am very bored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

jaykay74 wrote: »
    This linesman is on his way to the blue square prem league I think. not sure how long the link to youtube will last, similar vid was removed yesterday. If you notice it is a reading player who tries to keep it in so the linesman must have thought the forward was trying to stop the ball from crossing the line.

Linesman was the 4th offical at yesterdays Chelsea Man Utd game

And done already here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055382256

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

i lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Crap, I had a quick look through the thread titles but didn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If this results stands and Watford miss out on promotion by 2 points
    Good one:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't see why they're talking about the match being replayed though. How are these points more valuable than so many more points lost by wrong decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wasn't Rob Styles the 4th official?

That linesman should never be allowed officiate a game again. I could understand if it was close but not even the players thought that was a goal. Complete joke.

The game won't be replayed.

No matter how bad a decision a referees decision is final and it won't be replayed.

Believe me, they won't demote that referee. They're bigging the guy up something terrible. The linesman will be destroyed though.

Doubt he'll every do a league game again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think he is at the end of his carrer anyway. The ref is only 25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Being a Watford fan it hurts even more.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No he wasnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Coppells offer of a replay is an empty gesture, as he knew full well the game would never be replayed. If he was that principled on the matter he would have allowed Watford equalise like some lower division manager made his team do after a bizarre goal at the start of the 2006 season (Im thinking Plymouth were involved but cannot remember).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He said he wouldn't mind replaying it. Didn't offer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gimmick wrote: »
    Coppells offer of a replay is an empty gesture, as he knew full well the game would never be replayed. If he was that principled on the matter he would have allowed Watford equalise like some lower division manager made his team do after a bizarre goal at the start of the 2006 season (Im thinking Plymouth were involved but cannot remember).

last similar thing I can remember is where a game was abandoned with one of the sides 1 up. When the game was replayed, the team that had been behind allowed the opposition to score straight from kickoff to bring the score back to what it was.

I thought there was a chance it could be replayed, similar to the Arsenal vs Sheffield United game years back, where Arsenal scored a perfectly legit goal but an unsporting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

gimmick wrote: »
    Coppells offer of a replay is an empty gesture, as he knew full well the game would never be replayed.

Well not 100% true, when Kanu set up that goal for Overmars iirc when they should have played the ball back to the opposition, aafter that match Wenger offered a replay and the match was replayed.

Terrible decision and puts more pressure on the the need of goal line technoligy.

Ah scrud i didn't see that comment:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

What i find amazing was how could they not have sorted it out at half time. Quite simple really. You get Boothroyd, Coppell and the ref and look at the video replay, then a gentlemans agreement between managers that Watford recieve a goal at the start of the second half. Why didn't that happen?? The whole thing lacked common sense. So putting any of the blame onto Coppell is wrong. It's not up to him to sort out the officials fuk ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dun laoire wrote: »
    What i find amazing was how could they not have sorted it out at half time. Quite simple really. You get Boothroyd, Coppell and the ref and look at the video replay, then a gentlemans agreement between managers that Watford recieve a goal at the start of the second half. Why didn't that happen?? The whole thing lacked common sense. So putting any of the blame onto Coppell is wrong. It's not up to him to sort out the officials fuk ups

i don't get this - you are saying it is not up to Coppell to fix the official's screw up, but that he should have agreed at half time to giving Watford a goal back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Trilla wrote: »
    No he wasnt

I am just going on what Andy Gray said, he said he was the Linesman

I would have walked the players off the pitch if i was the Watford manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Tauren wrote: »
    i don't get this - you are saying it is not up to Coppell to fix the official's screw up, but that he should have agreed at half time to giving Watford a goal back?

What i mean is Tauren that it wasn't up to Coppell to go to Boothroyd and offer a goal. However it was up to the officials to look at it and request Coppell to allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Reading should allow Watford to take a one goal lead at the start of the fixture at the Madjeski, then all will be sorted out.

Somehow cannot see that happening though :)

What a crazy crazy decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I can't believe that:eek:

FA are absolute goons.

Sizzler wrote: »

Respect campaign obviously not a 2 way street. I haven't seen any apology (maybe its just me) from the officials to Watford FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Respect campaign obviously not a 2 way street. I haven't seen any apology (maybe its just me) from the officials to Watford FC.

Would have to agree with you there jaykay. The FA are taking the mick big time cant wait to see if they charge the watford manger..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So its okay to verbally destroy officals if their decision is wrong?

Thats not the way it works. You respect the officials no matter what their decision.

Can't understand how Halsley gets demoted and this guy doesn't though.

noodler wrote: »
    So its okay to verbally destroy officals if their decision is wrong?

Thats not the way it works. You respect the officials no matter what their decision.

Can't understand how Halsley gets demoted and this guy doesn't though.

I have no problem with the charge. Respect the officials. Where is the explanation and the apology for such an obviously amateur mistake. Respect the manager/club ?

Once again the FA showering themselves in glory. Theyre a joke. The Terry thing just emphasises that they are a bunch of incompetent tw@ts.

And noodler, imagine Boothroyd lost his job as a result of that goal, should he just sit down and accept unemployment because he has to respect such a shambolic decision?

• Advertisement

This same referee was at it again today:rolleyes:

At 1-1 in the Derby Forest game today, he gave a penalty which never was even though Derby scored from the rebound.
    The penalty was then missed and went out for a corner. From the resulting corner Derby then scored another winner which had nothing wrong with it and he ruled it out again.

Absolutely crazy!

And to think he'll be reffing in the Premiership in the next two years:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What was funniest about that game was after the second goal had been ruled out, two Forest players broke with the ball while everybody else was standing around. When one of them was through on goal he completely scuffed his shot and fell over in the process. He just lay face down on the ground in shame. It was hilarious. :D

Still couldn't understand why he gave the peno in the first place and then why he didn't give the second goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I caught the last few mins of this earlier. The goal was perfectly legit, I'd love to hear his reason for not giving it.

Advertisement