Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recamend a good rotuer please

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:28pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello, getting a laptop in the next coming days off dell.
    think it has the mini lan card in it. might get wireless in the house
    the ntl box is downstairs in the garage room, and I'd be using the laptop upstairs. will be using it to download bit heavy.
    What has good strenght, I also have cat5 cable running up to the room so I could use it plugged in if I wanted a good strong connection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

one of the linksys WRTGx range?

€5x on komplett or dabs

Can be flashed with newer firmware to add new features. Rock solid routers from experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Some dell laptops have 'n' wireless cards check before you by the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Your going to get so many replys for a recommendations on routers - What i suggest to you is stick to a good brand name - and the best you can afford. I work with a wireless development company and i have tested most chipsets and brands in scientific ways in chambers etc, shop around read reviews. this is my two cent anyway im sure people will say otherwise and we have all had bad experiences so im being general

Linksys WRT's yes - Stay away from the new sleek looking ones.. poor range
    D-Link - Yes
    NetGear Yes
    Belkin - Not the best, they dont update their software enough but not the worst,
    Sitecom - No cheap chipset

What i would personally go for I have run tests on both. If you want 10/100 ethernet to your PCs and just to get wireless in your house Get the D-Link DIR 635 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322482

If you want the same package with gigabit ethernet go for its bigger brother D-Link DIR-655 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331590

This is my opinion but both the DIR showed great throughput at range. Also they are N standard with 3X3 (3 Antennas) so they are future proof and backwards compatible with G as G will come standard in Dell's

Best of luck keep us updated

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the advice Voodoo,think i'll go with the first one you said for the 60, just checked the specs of the laptop and the card it has is this one
    INTEL? NEXT-GEN WIRELESS-N MINI-PCI CARD so it is a n wireless one.
    Thanks for your help,

Lenny wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Voodoo,think i'll go with the first one you said for the 60, just checked the specs of the laptop and the card it has is this one
    INTEL? NEXT-GEN WIRELESS-N MINI-PCI CARD so it is a n wireless one.
    Thanks for your help,

Yup - That's an 802.11N Card alright, will match the router perfectly! Best of luck let me know how you fair out with your set up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Might be looking to get this over the weekend in dublin, peats don't do it. pc world don't have it(at 119!) lol
    any other ideas on where to source it?
    also is this modem easy to config so torrents can be downloaded through it?

Might be looking to get this over the weekend in dublin, peats don't do it. pc world don't have it(at 119!) lol
    any other ideas on where to source it?
    also is this modem easy to config so torrents can be downloaded through it?

Ya PC world really charge a lot - the only place Ive seen it that cheap is online Im afraid! 119 is crazy.

When you say to configure for torrents - are you saying like adding port forwarding rules? Ya the configuration is easy as pie once you know what you want to achieve

yea the port forwarding, tried doing it on the gf computer but she has a cheap unknown brand of wirelss and was not arsed reading through all the pages on the bb section trying to find out if the modem could be done.
    Yea would never go near pc world, just rang them to see what price they were, fair enough if they were 20 more i'd get it to have it today.
    have a mate who got some laptop from crappy pc world laptop might get him the router too, but is that router only specific for laptops with a "n" wireless card?

yea the port forwarding, tried doing it on the gf computer but she has a cheap unknown brand of wirelss and was not arsed reading through all the pages on the bb section trying to find out if the modem could be done.
    Yea would never go near pc world, just rang them to see what price they were, fair enough if they were 20 more i'd get it to have it today.
    have a mate who got some laptop from crappy pc world laptop might get him the router too, but is that router only specific for laptops with a "n" wireless card?

Ya port forwarding is easy with them... If you any hassel Ill help ya out,

Yes the N types are all backward compatible!

OK guess I'll pickup two so, and why aren't you the mod of this forum? :)
    I've seen you've been quite helpful to other people :cool:

• Advertisement

OK guess I'll pickup two so, and why aren't you the mod of this forum? :)
    I've seen you've been quite helpful to other people :cool:

Dont need to be a mod to help people :D I do my best to be unbias on recommendations or advice

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

If you want the same package with gigabit ethernet go for its bigger brother D-Link DIR-655 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331590

i am correct in saying this doesnt have a built in modem?

any recommendations for one with built in modem or should i get seperate modem?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363

just found this is it same as the one you linked to but with modem

beolight wrote: »
    i am correct in saying this doesnt have a built in modem?

any recommendations for one with built in modem or should i get seperate modem?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337363

just found this is it same as the one you linked to but with modem

Correct - It doesn't have a build in modem the DIR one, the one you linked to does however have a modem, haven't had any experience with it. but its a good brand, Linksys do good modems all you need it get the setting for you ISP and put them in

But why would you buy a modem, I would ensure your ISP gives you one and then get a standard router, that way if the modem ever gives up they will replace it.. just a thought but your on the right track with the D-link

Got the modem there on friday gone. the installation was very easy considerin the other one I had set up for someone else. even let ya do the security in the set up, made it wpa2
    got it workin grand enough. the signal strenth from my bedroom was excellant on the first two days, yesterday it was only fair. just seems odd. ad went about 50metres down the road and could still surf the net and its defo the strongest singal from all the houses on the road.
    Tried a torrent and it seems to be workin alright. so maybe do I need to setup the portfowarding?
    also another thing. I enabled mac filtering ok, and added the laptops mac address. but when I was trying to go on xboxlive(its connected directly to the modem via cat5) but I was not able because the mac filtering was on. why does it block this, even though it was connected directly to it, is there anyway I can find out the mac address of the xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Dont need to be a mod to help people :D I do my best to be unbias on recommendations or advice

Voodoo2, I'm on the lookoutfor a new router. Have you any thoughts on these?
    They seem to be good but it would be nice to get an independant opinion.

Advertisement