Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about credit Card withdrawal fees

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    All the stupid things that I thought were clear in my head are starting to unravel a bit now that departure day gets closer.
    Until this morning, I was pretty confident that the best way of withdrawing cash abroad was using a credit card that I've transferred cash into. I know in the Eurozone there's no withdrawal fees for this (as opposed to if you haven't put money in in advance and they do charge you) but now I'm wondering does this apply in other places as well? I know that the fees with my usual BOI laser card would be horrendous so probably going to cancel that before I go.
    Any help'd be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I thought CC withdrawals were more expensive than bank cards?Need confirmation on this myself.

Have applied just now for a CC,it states that you don't incurr any interest repayments if you keep your bill paid off.The 18% charges etc only apply if you haven't paid your bills.As the bills come in,I will be paying them off immediately to avoid any charges.

I'm sure there will be charges alright outside eurozone.ways to avoid this are taking out large amounts at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Just saw the typo in thread title - sorry mods. can't seem to change it myself.

Paddy - I know interest rates on a credit card are high, and I know that there are fees for withdrawing cash from a credit card if you haven't transferred money into it in advance. I'm wondering what the story is if you have put money into the account. But I'm certain about the withdrawal fee if it isn't in credit, so watch out for that. Whether you pay your bill on time or not isn't going to affect that.

Edit: To explain to anyone reading this I'm going on a round the world trip so the places I'm worried about at the start are India and SE Asia. Sorry, had this in the Travel forum originally but since moving it probably needs more of an explanation. Any one who knows for definite what the story is with cash withdrawal fees from a credit card account that has money in it, I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If you make a withdrawal outside the eurozone a fee of 1.75% of the transaction value is applied. The credit card I have from BOI charges that anyway. BOI have about 20 different cards. What type of card do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

It's just a normal BOI Mastercard. Do you know is that fee subject to a min and a max heymcfly? I've checked their website but can't find the info.

Thanks!

Edit: went hunting again and found this:
    Cross Border Handling Fee:
    A cross-border handling fee will not apply to transactions in euro. All other transactions will be subject to a cross-border handling fee of up to 1.75% of the transaction.

Which is a bit annoying. It probably means that there isn't too much of a difference between using the credit card or the laser card abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I looked into this a bit before I left and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter unless you use particular ATMs. The guy in AIB told me that while AIB won't charge for withdrawals on a credit card that's in credit, the bank at the other end might. So to avoid this you would have to find out which banks accept your credit card and only withdraw from those branches while you're away. CHeck visa.com. He said the ones that take visa will also take Mastercard. On the flip side, banks abroad might not charge for regular withdrawals with a laser or whatever, but your home bank will.

• Advertisement
Advertisement