Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wider tire

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

hey guys and gals...

Herselfs car needs new tires and i was wondering would it make a big difference to put wider tires on it-just to help protect the alloys.

Was only thinking an extra 10mm or so.

All 4 tires are the same size.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you choose to go with wider tyres, then in order to keep the diameter the same as the old, narrow ones you need to go down in profile.

So the "protection" of the alloys wouldn't be any better really ...probably worse on a bad road with lots of potholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfamilyguy

bends/cracks or curbing....tough choice there then;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

peasant wrote: »
    If you choose to go with wider tyres, then in order to keep the diameter the same as the old, narrow ones you need to go down in profile.

So the "protection" of the alloys wouldn't be any better really ...probably worse on a bad road with lots of potholes.
    I think he means sidewall protection, in the sense that a wider tyre of the same overall diameter would bulge out over the sidewall more, giving better protection from kerbs.

I have to say that i've wonderedabout it myself, on some cars the rim seems to be actually wider than the tyre! I can't see an extra 10mm doing any harm, just make sure the new tyres don't foul anything on full lock.

Thing is though ...the lower the profile, the less "bulge" you get. Extremely low profile tyres hardly bulge at all and don't really extend over the rim either (assuming of course, that the rim is actually designed to take that size of tire. If you squeeze on a tyre that is too big, it will bulge)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can get tyres with extra side wall protection on them, I had them on my old car. I know Vredestein and Toyo make them, I'm sure others do too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wonder do they make tires that have a lip just for this purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Or you could get tyres that have rim protection already!

Now I see the other posts saying the same... mine are Goodyear Eagle F1's pretty sure there is rim protection on them or maybe it was the p-zero neros I had for a while

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

kayos wrote: »

Now I see the other posts saying the same... mine are Goodyear Eagle F1's pretty sure there is rim protection on them or maybe it was the p-zero neros I had for a while

F1s definitley have them. Mine have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

peasant wrote: »
    If the tyre size is the same (e.g. 14"), the fact that it is wider will not require a drop in profile. Surely?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

esel wrote: »
    If the tyre size is the same (e.g. 14"), the fact that it is wider will not require a drop in profile. Surely?

No, because the profile is a percentage of the width of the tyre. The tyre sits on 14" rims but the profile is extra height on top of this. If they fitted wider tyres they'd have a larger profile, so in order to have the same total diameter as before they'd need to drop the profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Del2005 wrote: »
    No, because the profile is a percentage of the width of the tyre. The tyre sits on 14" rims but the profile is extra height on top of this. If they fitted wider tyres they'd have a larger profile, so in order to have the same total diameter as before they'd need to drop the profile.

Then you would need new alloys too, best just to get tyres with an alloy protecting lip...

esel wrote: »

have a look at this and play with it a bit for explanation

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kayos wrote: »

antodeco wrote: »
    F1s definitley have them. Mine have them.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 2 have rim protection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del2005 wrote: »
    Doh! I knew that....really, I did. Blond moment. :o

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can get tyres with extra side wall protection on them, I had them on my old car. I know Vredestein and Toyo make them, I'm sure others do too.

The side protection is a joke and will not protect your tires from kerbs. The best protection is to tell her not to hit the kerbs! :p

Advertisement