Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

no. of holidays for a PhD student?

• 22-09-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm doing a PhD with the College of Chemistry and Chemical Biology. I was wondering what is the general no. of holidays you are entitled to, as a PhD student? I know if I go ask my boss then I'll bring the issue up for my group... and so it's best not to! Thx :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

from what i know you actually work like a employee no different than any of those office people but with a higher skill(fatal if you play around...) ,less salary,same holidays:pac:altho your job might be the most flexible job you will ever get...

enough BS:Di have seen someone took a 3 weeks holidays straight or someone else who took 'holidays' when her boss is not around lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

How does your system work? A boss? :eek:

In the humanities one is more or less free to decide when they do anything...once you get the work done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ah yes. Everyone is pretty relaxed about time off. Nice to be in this position :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Farasoi

Hey, I'm doing a PhD with the College of Chemistry and Chemical Biology. I was wondering what is the general no. of holidays you are entitled to, as a PhD student? I know if I go ask my boss then I'll bring the issue up for my group... and so it's best not to! Thx :)

Hey, I'm also doing PhD in School of Chem n Chem Bio, what a coincidence. :D Hope you enjoy doing your PhD so far. :) Hmm although we work all year long except weekends and public holz, we can sometimes take days off. Normally you can ask up to about 3-4 weeks (entirely) off during summer or Christmas holiday. Most people do this.

I agree with seraphimvc, we pretty much work like an employee, but instead 9-5 (or is it 8-4? I'm not familiar with the Irish working hours :p) our works are flexible, depending on how we plan experiments. But trust me, the more your supervisor sees you in lab, the chances for you to be given days off (if you ask) is higher. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Farasoi wrote: »
    But trust me, the more your supervisor sees you in lab, the chances for you to be given days off (if you ask) is higher. :)

he he he :)

Yeah, I was also thinking 9-5 hours are good to keep to, unless experiments change that. Thanks for your reply :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement