Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweetitch??

Options
  • 22-09-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this has been a subject that comes up often. I have recently bought a connemara gelding. Dote of a thing!! He was inside for a few weeks before I bought him and his mane and tail were a bit patchy, they said it was just from being inside but my brother was a bit concerned it maybe sweetitch) For the first few days he seem to be scratching alot (all over) gave him a worm dose and seems to be better. The mane and tail situation seems to be improving (which it should this time of the year if it is sweetitch from what I have heard) He also does not like his mane near his head being touched but this also is improving so not sure if this is an old habit. To try and cut a long story short.....is there anyway I can tell for sure if he does in fact have sweetitch?? Sorry for the ramble, hope makes sense......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hey OP!

It's difficult to tell tbh. It could be lice although they would be visible on his coat. The fact that it's patchy insinuates that he had been scrtaching alot. Is his skin bare/pink?

I would suggest it is sweetitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭tisme

No, there is no pink/bare patches or sores and as I said since he has been out it has improved. He also rolls quite a bit, could this be be because of itch? I only get to see him at weekends so difficult to keep an eye on this... He is such a pet, hate to see him irritated:( Thanks for the fast reply!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

i dont know, if it was sweet itch there would be sores or at least it would be somewhat inflamed, as for it improving, yes it should at this time of the year but our sweetitch mare hasnt started yet, shes still trying to scratch her neck on anything she can,

id be of the mind that maybe its lice or something else.. sweetitch ponies normally have little or no mane left this time of the year, i know it varies but in general its fairly severe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭SanNJay

if the pony had a sweetitch rug on all year then he would still have his mane and tail now.

one way of knowing if the pony has sweet itch is to run your hand down along his neck just at the end of the mane. a horse with no sweetitch will have a smooth neck. a horse with sweetitch will have what feels like ripples down along their neck.

i'd say treat him for lice and then see if he's still scratching, if not your sorted.

Sandra

Advertisement