Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Drum sequencing for specific tune

Options
  • 22-09-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I really hope someone can help me out. I'm currently working a tune called Chinese Whispers.

Basically, there's a transition between two riffs at around 0:31 to 0:34 at which it goes into a more upbeat rythm. If you listen carefully you'll notice that the fast riff starts late. I cannot figure out what time signature the drum roll should be to avoid that. I know i could be very bad at explaining but if anyone has a suggestion help me out!!!!

btw, the songs is on http://www.myspace.com/thejuliettesuicides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Pusshead wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I really hope someone can help me out. I'm currently working a tune called Chinese Whispers.

Basically, there's a transition between two riffs at around 0:31 to 0:34 at which it goes into a more upbeat rythm. If you listen carefully you'll notice that the fast riff starts late. I cannot figure out what time signature the drum roll should be to avoid that. I know i could be very bad at explaining but if anyone has a suggestion help me out!!!!

btw, the songs is on http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...did=585 10934

Link not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Pusshead

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Well, the youtube quality is pretty bad to really hear what is happening... but... usually i'd try many things... the first thing i can hear is why not drop the drums and guitar 1 bar before so the vocals come right out and lead into the next part of the song...

I think it was Eirc Clapton that said 'It's not when you play, It's when you don't' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

Doesn't sound like there's any tempo/sig change there.
    Sounds like the guitar is just ever so slightly out of time with the end of the fill.
    edit: sorry, just saw you mentioned that in your first post.

I'd take the fill out and put in a straight beat that you can play the guitar part in time to when tracking, then replace the fill afterward.

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like there's any tempo/sig change there.
    Sounds like the guitar is just ever so slightly out of time with the end of the fill.
    edit: sorry, just saw you mentioned that in your first post.

I'd take the fill out and put in a straight beat that you can play the guitar part in time to when tracking, then replace the fill afterward.

I see what you're saying. Sounds good! Thanks.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Well, the youtube quality is pretty bad to really hear what is happening... but... usually i'd try many things... the first thing i can hear is why not drop the drums and guitar 1 bar before so the vocals come right out and lead into the next part of the song...

I think it was Eirc Clapton that said 'It's not when you play, It's when you don't' :)

Thanks for the advice. It's definitely a work in need of progress!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The counter isn't working for me so I'm not sure of the bit you are talking about. I presume you are using a 6/8 sig to write the patterns? It sounds like a 4 bar stuck in there now and again though maybe even a 5 at one stage?

Usually I'd do something like this with a click and a guide guitar and then write in time sig changes inthe control track afterward so you are on the top of the bar after those sections. There's no tempo changes but you could make it easier if you did write in those sig changes. It's not absolutely necessary but it will make editing easier.

Advertisement