Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reset ECU?

• 22-09-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've posted about tis problem I've had before.

I have a 97 Fiesta and the Revs race whenever the car changes gears or comes to a stop. Many have suggested that it is the Speed sensors. Very hard to find replacements around here and cleaning them does nothing.

The last time, one of the many mechanics reset the ECU which actually fixed the problem for a while.

My driving test is on thursday. I've read that you can reset the ECU by unpluging the battery.
    Is this true? What are the caveats?
    The only downside I can see is that the radio will look for a code, which I have. Am I missing something?

thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Johnathon

chamlis wrote: »
    Hi

I have a 97 Fiesta and the Revs race whenever the car changes gears or comes to a stop. Many have suggested that it is the Speed sensors. Very hard to find replacements around here and cleaning them does nothing.

The last time, one of the many mechanics reset the ECU which actually fixed the problem for a while.

My driving test is on thursday. I've read that you can reset the ECU by unpluging the battery.
    The only downside I can see is that the radio will look for a code, which I have. Am I missing something?

thanks guys.

Yes, on almost all cars you can reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for like 10 minutes. It might idle rough at first, but this will resolve once it idles for alittle bit and you drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hi

thanks guys.

No, you can power down the ECU by disconnecting it from the battery and it will effectively re-boot from a flash chip inside the ECU when it is powered back up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I suspect the problem you have is with the KAM (keep alive memory). The KAM can re reset by removing a fuse. I cant remember which fuse for your car but something in the back of my mind suggests number 23. Just remove any fuse from the interior fuse fox that has the engine symbol on it.
    This is only a temp cure. There is a modification that needs to be done to the throttle pot to cure this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Ok so which solution should work for thursday?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

there is a switch on the clutch pedal, make sure this has not come off or has stopped working,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Disconnect the battery for 10 mins
    Reconnect
    Start car and leave to idle until engine is fully warmed
    Take for a spin about
    ECU is reset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My cousin had a 97 1.3 Fiesta a few years back with the same problem, like you say cleaning does not work, problem was solved by fitting a new TP sensor and wiring harness/multi-plug connector.

I don't have the time or the cash to replace the sensors. All mechanics here have been useless. It was the Ford garage that reset the ECU the last time.

The only panic is because of the test on thursday. The breaks are also shagged, but i'm hoping the tester won't notice :rolleyes:

Thnaks guys, i'm gonna try the battery this evening and then take a spin.

There's no chance the keys will get reprogrammed or anything I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

if you look at the back of your gear box you will see the speedo cable.along side the speedo is an electrical connector at the base of the speedo where it goes on to the gear box.follow the electrical connector up towards the windscreen here you will find it goes into a triangular connector .disconnect the plug ang drive the car this should sort your prolem its a faulty vss.

UPDATE:

Hi guys,

Yeah disconnecting the battery worked a treat. Been running like a dream since. Passed the test this morning, so w00t \o/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

UPDATE:

Hi guys,

Yeah disconnecting the battery worked a treat. Been running like a dream since. Passed the test this morning, so w00t \o/

Nice1!

Advertisement