Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Cooper - Burning oil

Options
  • 22-09-2008 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Need some advice.
    Bought a 03 Mini Cooper in May of last year. It been back to garage (BMW dealer) 3 times since as it is guzzling oil. It is not leaking oil and the last trip it made to the garage they said it was buring oil off the exhaust, they claimed that this was fixed but it is now giving trouble again.
    This was 5 months ago and I have since put in a further 3l of oil. This is nuts. I have rung the garage again and they are going to "look" at it.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? Or has anyone had issues like this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Honestjohn doesn't list it as a known issue with Minis.

Burning oil means oil is getting into the cylinders, probably via bad piston rings. I think a compression test should tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If a compression test shows up ok it could be damaged / worn valve seals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Zube wrote: »
    Honestjohn doesn't list it as a known issue with Minis.

Burning oil means oil is getting into the cylinders, probably via bad piston rings. I think a compression test should tell you.

+1 a compression test is the way to go. They should then compare what pressure they get to what it should be for a car like yours. make sure you document all contact with the dealer too as you might need this info later should things turn nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Coop08 wrote: »

....was buring oil off the exhaust,
    they claimed that this was fixed but it is now giving trouble again.
    Based on this its not clear if the car is burning oil or leaking oil! We'll need more information to determine this.

Coop08 wrote: »
    .....5 months ago and I have since put in a further 3l of oil. ....

Approx 0.5L / month isn't massive usage, what sort of mileage would you be doing in this time?

Most cars will use some oil. For example in some VW golfs they say 1L/Month in "normal"....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A MINI shouldn't be using anything near that amount of oil. RTDH is right on the money, do a compression check, then check for valve seals. The engine in a 03 Cooper is the same engine that's in the Chrysler Neon/PT Cruiser, manufactured by Tritec in Brazil, extremely simple, extremely reliable, so it shouldn't be too hard to fault find this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I would agree that it should not use much oil but the OP has only mentioned a time frame not mileage. It may be a good idea to check how much is being used per 1k miles.

A compression check does not show the condition of oil scrapers just compression rings so it is not really a valid test. If it tests low and further tests show the loss to be bottom end then the compression and oil loss would most likely be the same issue. If the compression tests within spec an oil ring problem could still be present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I would agree that it should not use much oil but the OP has only mentioned a time frame not mileage. It may be a good idea to check how much is being used per 1k miles.

A compression check does not show the condition of oil scrapers just compression rings so it is not really a valid test. If it tests low and further tests show the loss to be bottom end then the compression and oil loss would most likely be the same issue. If the compression tests within spec an oil ring problem could still be present.

Yeah but at least its an exterior investigation. Any other inspection requires taking off bits like the sump or head. It is defo the first test to do to discount piston rings being worn. (Of course you know all this anyway). Will a comp test detect worn valve guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Sounds like worn rings? Is it emitting an smoke under rev? If so what colour? Does it sound like a tractor?

Advertisement