Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12v Ciagarette socket => 240v Mains socket - Where from?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey,
    I forgot to bring my mains charger for my laptop up with me, luckily I have the cars 12v charger, but won't be spending much tiem in the car to charge it.

Does anyone know where I could get an adapter that will allow me to plug my 12v cigarette socket charger into the 240v mains? They exist, just don't know where to start looking. Need to buy it from a shop as I need it ASAP, so online not an option

I'll try Curry's later, but failing that has anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That place in the basement of Quayside might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Or maybe you can try Halfords,seeing as you will be up at Currys.They are beside each other.I don't know of anywhere else but I will ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Halfords sell power invertors that let you run 240v appliances from a cigarette lighter. Something like a laptop would be fine as it's low wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

il gatto wrote: »
    Halfords sell power invertors that let you run 240v appliances from a cigarette lighter. Something like a laptop would be fine as it's low wattage.
    :) I think the OP is looking for the exact opposite. He said he has a car charger, and wants something for plugging that into the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

fozzle wrote: »
    :) I think the OP is looking for the exact opposite. He said he has a car charger, and wants something for plugging that into the mains.

Ah. Didn't read that properly at all. Derry Taheny near Hughes Bridge or Clifford Electrical at Carraroe would be the best bets, but it's not a device widely required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fozzle wrote: »
    Pick up a adapter in Currys/PC World/Dixons/Maplins/Peats, etc. These are always in IT stores, as people's power adapters tend to fail after the warranty, and they need a new one...

Just look at the bottom of your laptop, see what voltage it needs, select that on the adapter, and you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Cliffords have them, got one there about 3 years ago. Go and ask at the trade counter.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

the_syco wrote: »
    Pick up a adapter in Currys/PC World/Dixons/Maplins/Peats, etc. These are always in IT stores, as people's power adapters tend to fail after the warranty, and they need a new one...

Just look at the bottom of your laptop, see what voltage it needs, select that on the adapter, and you'll be ok.
    Yup, this would be your best bet.

Advertisement