Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase - Buyers Beware!

Options
  • 22-09-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Ya, I'm back!

Onto the topic though... I bought a kitchen from HB at the beginning of May this year & forked out just over 3 grand. The units were delivered at the end of July. On inspection, I found that half the stuff wasn't delivered, some of the stuff we got was from another range, there were insufficient fixings, door handles etc (plus they were the wrong handles) and the worktops were ones I'd never even seen before.

So I went into the shop to get it sorted out & was told that they could sort out the order, though it would take another 4-6 weeks (on top of the 12 weeks we'd already waited). There was also another problem - the worktop we ordered was not only out of stock, but they'd stopped supplying that style of worktop over 2 years ago as they couldn't find a supplier for it. I was offered an alternative worktop, but wasn't happy with the choices, so I said I'd speak to the missus.

So, she checked out the alternatives & didn't like either, so we decided to return the kitchen. If we couldn't get what we wanted from them, we'd get a kitchen we liked elsewhere from someone who'd actually be able to supply it.

Well, that's where the fun REALLY began... it took 5 telephone calls to customer service, 8 phone calls to the store, 7 visits to the store talking to various "managers" and a total of 16 weeks to get them to agree to take back the kitchen & refund us the money.

The last conversation I had with them, the guy suggested that we could keep the units, source a worktop that we liked locally & they would refund part of the cost of the kitchen!!! In response, I said that if you ordered a brand new mint green car from a dealer and it was delivered to your door in red, with the excuse that "We can't get them in mint green, but if you'd like to go out & buy some mint green paint, we'll knock the price of the paint off the cost of the car", would you accept the car? The guy begrudgingly admitted that he would not.

So, we eventually got refunded on Saturday & the unwanted units that have been taking up half the hallway since June, are being collected today. So, 5 months after we originally ordered the kitchen, we are still no closer to actually having a kitchen... 5 months of being messed around & treated like idiots.

I'll never buy anything from Homebase again, or indeed Argos, their sister company. I'm STILL waiting on a bath to be delivered from them - it was ordered over 3 months ago, and a shelving unit that I bought & tried to assemble, but couldn't, coz the drawers weren't cut to the correct size, is still sittting in the house, unfinished & awaiting collection for the last 4 months.

Having previously bough a bed & some furniture for the sitting room in HB - and being perfectly happy with the quality - I was duped into believing that the rest of their stuff would be up to scratch, but sadly this was not the case, and the after sales service, is abysmal - to put it lightly. My boycott of the store will last my lifetime & will be warning everyone & anyone I know about their dreadful treatment of us as customers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

As I'm an employee there I do understand your misery but its not the staffs fault and I know you didn't mention the staff.
    In realtion to Kitchens though,all orders are processed through HDCC and its up to them to sort out your delivery,how many door handles,or how many doors are included.The kitchen doesn't come into our store at all,we don't set our eyes on it what so ever so we don't get to see the quality of it or if there is the right quantity of everything there.
    I can see why your complaining but to be honest it doesn't really have anything to do with the store,we are like the middle man in the situation.

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

bobcar61 wrote: »
    As I'm an employee there I do understand your misery but its not the staffs fault and I know you didn't mention the staff.
    In realtion to Kitchens though,all orders are processed through HDCC and its up to them to sort out your delivery,how many door handles,or how many doors are included.The kitchen doesn't come into our store at all,we don't set our eyes on it what so ever so we don't get to see the quality of it or if there is the right quantity of everything there.
    I can see why your complaining but to be honest it doesn't really have anything to do with the store,we are like the middle man in the situation.

Sorry!

The shop IS responsible. The consumer's contract is always with the seller of the goods - that is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Where'd you go Starbelgrade?

Yup, the store ARE totally responsible. Its not the first time I've heard of hassle with kitchens from HB. Its really too large (never mind essential) a purchase to be messed around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That's awful. Seriously.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Welcome back, what a pain about the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Stay well clear from the flatpack kitchens you can usually find better locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

bobcar61 wrote: »

Sorry!

Your employers are responsible for fulfilling their contract with the buyer, his point of contract is the staff, managers in particular so he is entitled to get pissed off with them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Actually, the appropriate thing to do is to contact corporate hq with a seething letter.

The poor, underpaid, overworked, overmanaged but underorganized staff of these stores do not deserve to be the scapegoats for the fact that the higher ups are making giant logistical errors.

Anyway, since Homebase is a nationwide chain I'm going to lock this thread now. It might be better suited to consumer issues or one of those boards, starbelgrade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement