Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focus bike sponsor for Milram in 2009

Options
  • 22-09-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed this when looking at the 2009 bikes, thought it might interest some of the Focus owners (or Milram fans) here. I must say the Milram branding on the team replica bikes is surprisingly minimal. Apparently they will be Focus Izalco frames with SRAM Red and Lightweight wheels (nice :D)

Story here

I'd say this should do wonders for their brand, you still occasionally bump into people who deride the bikes as those dodgy yokes from the internet; having them in the pro peloton should help matters. Colnago to Focus, my god, they will be having a heart attack :)

fo_izalco_team_milram_frei09.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Its probaly a Colnago painted as a focus Like some teams do, You can bet it will be a lot stiffer than the bikes coming out of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

liamtinney wrote: »
    Its probaly a Colnago painted as a focus Like some teams do, You can bet it will be a lot stiffer than the bikes coming out of the UK

ah, a doubter.

well the bike in the photo is definitely not a colnago.

and btw, focus are engineered in germany, nothing to do with the uk. but sure what do the germans know about engineering...?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

liamtinney wrote: »

rubbish, you can tell it is a focus from the tubing and joins.

ha, and i just noticed that the bike that schumacher used to win in the timetrial was a focus repainted to look like a specialized. so much for your theory liam... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

copacetic wrote: »
    rubbish, you can tell it is a focus from the tubing and joins.

And the great big "Focus" on the side :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They'll be riding real Focus bikes. However, the TT bikes will be Walsers repainted as Focus.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    ha, and i just noticed that the bike that schumacher used to win in the timetrial was a focus repainted to look like a specialized. so much for your theory liam... :p

In the TDF? As far as I can recall that was a Walser as well?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

el tonto wrote: »
    They'll be riding real Focus bikes. However, the TT bikes will be Walsers repainted as Focus.

In the TDF? As far as I can recall that was a Walser as well?

not according to the report in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It was indeed a Walser that Schumacher won the TTs on; I have read suggestions however, just on t'internet mind (but it is suggested by the article with the mention of a trickle-down TT frame) that Focus has some sort of relationship now with Andy Walser that goes beyond that of other manufacturers have (e.g. his making the bikes for rebadging) - I get the impression that there may be a Walser-designed Focus production TT frame in the offering.

el tonto wrote: »
    As far as I can recall that was a Walser as well?

yep, fact checking ain't my forté.

walsers have been re-badged as specialized, and soon will be as focuses (foci?) -somehow i garbled that to the specialized being a re-badged focus. sorry.

the trickle down thing is intriguing though...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Walser has an announcement on his web site about the partnership with Focus:
    Coming soon!
    Model 8 frame and fork, specially made for standard parts, in TT and TRI version, developed with our newest knowledge and in association with FOCUS.

Ag Teacht go Luath!
    Déanamh 8, Fráma agus gabhlóg, déanta go speisialta le feiliúint do pháirteanna caighdeánacha, Leaganacha TT agus TRI , Forbartha lenár n-eolas is nua agus i gcomhar le FOCUS.

Yes, for some utterly bizarre reason they have the announcement in both English and Irish (it's not a geolocation thing either, I checked from a US machine and it is also in Irish there.) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

whats with the Irish??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its on the Walser site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I read about this somewhere.

The Walser bikes are all bespoke. Teaming up with Focus will allow mass production of bikes that are cheaper to make but not necessarily the Walser standard. A licensing agreement almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i mean why is it also translated into Irish? Little strange seeing it

Advertisement