Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders Child Abuse Storyline

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Brigantia wrote: »
    i'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like a child abuse story line to me, more like an affair story line. i think they only labelled it a child abuse story line because she is suppose to be 15, but it just seems not quite right somehow.
    although i don't really know, you would probably have to ask an expert for there opinion on it.

i'm not feeling the story line either, I think it's the fact that Whitney looks and acts so much older than 15 that it seems more like an affair than abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Brigantia wrote: »
    i really thought i missed something with this story line, it just doesn't seem to be great at all.
    Whitney is always saying how they will run away together, and they held hands on the sofa when Bianca was sitting on it as well.

i'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem like a child abuse story line to me, more like an affair story line. i think they only labelled it a child abuse story line because she is suppose to be 15, but it just seems not quite right somehow.
    although i don't really know, you would probably have to ask an expert for there opinion on it.

Whitney looks older than her age 15. The relationship started when she was younger.

Him preying on Lauren looks worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I would say it is abuse rather than an affair because whitney is more or less brainwashed into thinking that the relationship is real - as in he has led her to believe that it is normal behaviour. Although she is willing she doesn't realise that the whole thing is wrong and that makes it abuse.

Just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

If you saw the episode where he was going on about the first time he saw her, at 12, and she was wearing a yellow ribbon in her hair....*shudder*.....you'd be pretty clear that it's an abuse storyline rather than an affair one.

I agree that the actress looking not-very-childish at the moment might have confused viewers though. I think that now he's looking at the more childish looking Lauren that it'll become a lot clearer just how creepy he is.

Actually, the way he said to Lauren straight after meeting her "You seem a bit sad" was one of the creepiest things ever. So that's how the grooming starts! Ugh.

Evil EastEnders paedophile Tony King is set to strike again - targeting schoolgirl Lauren Branning.

Despite 200 complaints from viewers after ex-con Tony was shown bedding stepdaughter Whitney Dean before the 9pm watershed, he will turn his attention to Lauren, 14.

Tony, played by Chris Coghill, be comes infatuated by the girl - actress Madeline Duggan - when she visits Whitney (Shona McGarty).

An Albert Square insider said: "He has got away with abusing Whitney for years but it seems one young girl isn't enough."

Actor Chris, 34, has been given 24-hour police protection over fears he could be attacked by confused fans believing him to be a real-life danger.

But Chris said: "I hope the storyline encourages abused children to speak out."

Lauren is dating Peter Beale yes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

no, i didn't see that episode. i don't watch the soaps much, which probably seems strange judging by the fact i'm on a forum discussing soaps:D
    but i do like to read about them in the mags, and online.
    thats where i came accross that it was an abuse storyline, but watching it on TV is different. maybe its the way they are filming it, because of the watershed and all of that.

i hope the actor playing the part of Tony isn't attacked for it, he is only doing his job, and he probably feels uncomfortable filming those scene's.
    but i suppose a lot of people out there do get confused between fact and fiction, which seems pretty strange to me.

Chris Coghill who plays Tony is beginning filming a new drama for ITV so he will be leaving soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

i'm not feeling the story line either, I think it's the fact that Whitney looks and acts so much older than 15 that it seems more like an affair than abuse.

Yes, but it's the fact that Whitney is beginning to look/act older is key to the storyline with him turning to Lauren who is younger looking / more innocent for her age

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

JP Liz wrote: »

+1, very well written and interesting article

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Whitney is 16 in real life..
    and Tony is 34 in real life...

so even at that, and i know they are only acting..but the kissing scenes between them...is that not a bit much given their real ages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Has he started grooming Lauren? Missed a few eps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Not as such but he has spoken to her and been very friendly to her. Also there was a bit of a creepy scene of him watching her in the square from his bedroom window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

They are gradually increasing the attention he is giving to Lauren. The so-called "grooming" is so creepy.. He sees his opportunity as Max is out of action and Lauren is vulnerable. I find the scenes with Lauren almost chilling. In comparison to Whitney, Lauren is more childlike. :O
    Think they are heading for a Christmas finale with this story maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I find it creepy too, especially the way when he asked her over for tea and was asking her about her favourite bands ... I dunno what it was about it... he was talking to her like a child but like an adult at the same time ... ick ick ick ick

But I don't understand why Lauren would have gone to his house, don't her and Whitney hate each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Alessandra wrote: »
    They are gradually increasing the attention he is giving to Lauren. The so-called "grooming" is so creepy.. He sees his opportunity as Max is out of action and Lauren is vulnerable. I find the scenes with Lauren almost chilling. In comparison to Whitney, Lauren is more childlike. :O
    Think they are heading for a Christmas finale with this story maybe?

It was said on tv last week that
    the storyline will be wrapped-up before christmas. And that Whitney tells Bianca

PAEDOPHILE Tony King’s perverted secret is out when Whitney Dean reveals their affair.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }
    She turns 16 and tells mum Bianca her boyfriend has been having sex with her since she was 12.

And all hell breaks loose as Bianca – played by Patsy Palmer, 36 – realises she has let a sexual predator into her home.

Bianca tells Whitney (Shona McGarty, 16): “You were 12. He came into this family to be a father to you, Tiff and the boys and he abused you.

“He is a paedophile. He’s an adult and you’re a child.”

And Bianca quickly calls police who arrest Tony (Chris Coghill, 33) as he flees Walford.

Fans will see the scenes – one of the the most controversial plots of the year – from next Monday.

But executive producer Diederick Santer, 39, says: “Telling stories about difficult social issues is nothing new for the show.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Is anybody watching it now? Its pretty awful!!! By awful i mean a sad storyline and difficult to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I thought it was incredibly well acted, quite interested to see where they go with the storyline now

Well acted yes but awful to watch, its such an immense story line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was nearly crying when Bianca was saying "it's not your fault, I didn't look after you"... then again it might just be my hormones. Very well acted.

Yes that was intense. Does anyone know where they're going with this?

I thought it was really well done too. Very intense. I think the character of Bianca is really well rounded. She came back as a bit of a chav, with all the children by different fathers etc but in fact she's shown herself to be a really good mother to them and I think she will bring Whitney through this crisis.

It's going to be interesting to watch alright!

Hi guys, missed last nights episode, can ye fill me in on what happened?

Basically, Whitney told Bianca that she had been sleeping with Tony since she was 12. At first Bianca thought she was lying. She confronted Tony and he said it was all made up and that Whitney resented Bianca and wanted to run off and find her real mother. He said he would go and have a word with Whitney. Bianca overheard him telling Whitney that she had to lie to cover for him because no one would understand their 'love' and he would go to jail. Whitney said she didn't want to lie to Bianca anymore.

Obviously Bianca went mad when she heard this. She told Tony to get out and she called the police. Tony left and Whitney was really angry with Bianca, saying she didn't understand and that they were in love. Bianca was screaming at Whitney saying it was she that didn't understand - Tony was a paedophile and what they were doing was wrong.

It was really emotional and intense and I think Whitney began to realise that Tony didn't love her and that she had been betrayed all along.

Tony came back into the house to get his passport but then the police arrived. They arrested him on suspicion of rape. He was pleading with Whitney to tell them that he didn't do anything but she just stared at him and said nothing.

In the end he was taken away by the police.

Bianca told Whitney that she blames herself for not looking after her and they went inside.

It's worth watching the omnibus on sunday if you misssed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Yeah, watch the omnibus if you missed it, I was on edge of seat! No doubt I'll be watching it again on Sun with my friends who missed it!

..So to tonights episode: Whitney is refusing to speak..leading to the possibility of Tony being released on bail as police custody time is ticking down.

Thanks Guys, was going to hold off and watch the whole lot on Sunday but ended up watching last nights one anyway, will still watch that episode on Sunday, looks and sounds like it was a pretty intense show. I have to say its being very well handled though.

Advertisement