Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Speed Enforcement Zones

• 22-09-2008 4:25pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Garda have got new gatso vans and they are starting to use them today. They will be targeting accident black spots and will be listing the spots they will be watching. See the list below.
    http://www.garda.ie/sez/Speed_Enforcement_Zones.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

All we need now is someone with the time to convert them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Didgey

It looks like someone did take the time....just saw blog post on mysatnav.ie and they mention that www.mypois.ie will have all the Garda Speed Enforcement Zones available as a free download at some point today!

Could someone download from this site and host somewhere so that I can convert to TomTom format .

Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Didgey

Sharkman, got on to mypoi's and they said that they hope to have a TomTom format up in the new week if that is any help....unfortunately I'm not technical enough myself to do it confused.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

hey sharkman any luck with the conversion?

• Advertisement

Didgey wrote: »
    Sharkman, got on to mypoi's and they said that they hope to have a TomTom format up in the new week if that is any help....unfortunately I'm not technical enough myself to do it confused.gif

I can convert them if anyone has a Garmin unit and would care to download !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

guys
    i have a tom tom one which is crying out for these as a download, so i would be grateful if someone could oblige.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Parkie

sharkman wrote: »
    The Garda have got new gatso vans and they are starting to use them today. They will be targeting accident black spots and will be listing the spots they will be watching. See the list below.
    http://www.garda.ie/sez/Speed_Enforcement_Zones.htm

Cheers for that, drive a motorbike but that advice is always helpfull no matter what you drive.

Stay safe all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sharkman,
    What to you need to convert the zones for TomTom? Is csv okay?

The zones are our site have distance and direction - no speed details because they are not available. We also had to assume that speed monitoring will be on both sides of the road. There are 851 zones.

Contact me off list if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Anyone have this as a uploadable file. im having trouble loading this onto my Garmin Moile XT via mypois.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Are these points not a bit pointless(excuse the pun)? I don't think sat navs have the ability to alert you to a zone, they can only alert you to a point on the map? So what happens if you enter in the middle of a zone, you will only be alerted as you leave the zone? How will one know if they are entering or leaving a zone???
    Maybe I am misunderstanding but that's how the Garmin that I have operates (to my knowledge)

I can see these alerts on my sat nav being very annoying. Particularly on long journeys constantly wondering am I in or outside a zone
    http://www.mypois.ie/main.php?pid=67&dz=12

Anyone have this as a uploadable file. im having trouble loading this onto my Garmin Moile XT via mypois.ie

Damok2k, if you send an email to enquiries AT mypois.ie I will forward the file with instructions on how to get it onto your XT.

fletch wrote: »
    Are these points not a bit pointless(excuse the pun)? I don't think sat navs have the ability to alert you to a zone, they can only alert you to a point on the map? So what happens if you enter in the middle of a zone, you will only be alerted as you leave the zone? How will one know if they are entering or leaving a zone???
    Maybe I am misunderstanding but that's how the Garmin that I have operates (to my knowledge)

I can see these alerts on my sat nav being very annoying. Particularly on long journeys constantly wondering am I in or outside a zone
    http://www.mypois.ie/main.php?pid=67&dz=12

Yes, this is correct. If you land in the middle of a SEZ the sat nav will not alert you because the zone is based on only two points. The only way around this is to mark the entry point of each road along the zone which is not practical given that many zones are several kilometres in length.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could always just stick to the posted speed limits on the roads.

Runs away >>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

having the same problem with my nuvi 200

unit is detected ok but when I click to download it says the unit is not the one I have registered

on logging in to the site the correct details (model no / serial no) are showing in the top right corner

re-installed the garmin plugin & also tried updating the firmware (now v5.x) but same error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I converted joejoegetback's ov2 list and uploaded it to my website. You can grab it in GPX format here:
    http://www.IrelandByGPS.com/treks/GardaEnforcement

It's just a list of locations, so doesn't feature entry/exit points, heading, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

I converted joejoegetback's ov2 list and uploaded it to my website. You can grab it in GPX format here:

It's just a list of locations, so doesn't feature entry/exit points, heading, etc.

Krusty - many thanks for your work! However when I download the GPX files its only 2kb and POI Loader tells me the file is not valid - any ideas? :confused:

Sorry, HTML woes. Fixed it.

Just installed it now - looking forward to testing it. Thanks Krusty!

Also available in OV2 format for TomTom from : Here

• Advertisement

Thanks for making that available Krusty - tested it out and it worked well. Cheers!

No Problem.. :)

Advertisement