Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Art

Options
  • 22-09-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭

My principal asked me today would I consider taking up art for the LC. I was quite interested as the extra points would be quite useful to me.

So what do you think? can two years of work be done within one year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you some artistic talent? The Art History part is easy enough to learn.

I sat Art(higher) a few years ago having first done the Leaving in 1980. I didn't really get any Art lessons so was a bit (hugely) crap at the practical bits but I scored well on the Art History and got a C1 overall.

spurious wrote: »

I sat Art(higher) a few years ago having first done the Leaving in 1980. I didn't really get any Art lessons so was a bit (hugely) crap at the practical bits but I scored well on the Art History and got a C1 overall.

Not really spurious, I did art in 1st and 2nd year but, lost interest soon after. Art is not on our curriculum but, it can done after school on a Wednesday. I'd imagine the practical is quite difficult but, looking at the exam papers it doesn't look that bad. Taking up Art would take a lot of weight off my shoulders but, I'm not sure..

Thanks for the insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

It's a difficult subject, not one of those 'easy points' type subjects. The Art History paper gives a wide choice but your essays need to be spot on with exact reference to the question asked or you'll lose marks quickly. I would recommend Less Stress more Success Art History, it is far better than the normal art textbook which jumps all over the place, sketches aren't great but that's what Google is for.
    The practical side is marked hard also, if your object and life drawing skills are good then I'd recommend it though. There's a 5 hour craft exam also, choose your craft and practice it! I would be careful with things like batik and moulding though, as they can go wrong more easily.
    I would recommend it as a subject, I just wouldn't go expecting an A, they're pretty rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I've heard they mark the life draawing against the best person in the class, so if you have someone in your class who stands out by miles the rest of you wont do so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

spurious wrote: »
    Art History is technically easy (ie just learning facts etc.), but the course is MASSIVE.
    I basically did no art history in 5th year, and we got a new teacher for 6th year who then tried to cram the course in... We didn't get enough done. Even if I had learned everything that we covered perfectly, I wouldn't have been able to answer all the questions on the paper. The art history course is unbelieveably broad, so keep that in mind...

As far as the practical goes... that's just down to your own talent tbh. You probably can't learn art skillz in 1 year, so if you can't draw I wouldn't recommend it...
    Piste wrote: »
    I've heard they mark the life draawing against the best person in the class, so if you have someone in your class who stands out by miles the rest of you wont do so well.
    Really? That sounds cruel and unusual. I know for my class (of about 10), we had about 3 models so we were drawing different girls anyway...

Well I'm not known for my drawing skills however, I don't think i'm really bad...I'll never know unless I try.

I'll give it a bash tomorrow anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Oh, and as far as "easy A" goes, I'm fairly sure Art has something like the lowest percentage of As. I'd say it's not that hard to pass (judging art, particularly abstract art, is surely extremely difficult), but I wouldn't consider it a "points subject". I mean, I did Art from day 1 with the intention of not counting it for points. That said, if you're any good artistically (not just drawing, the ideas are a big part of it too), that's what, 62% basically covered.

Advertisement