Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Firearms

Options
  • 22-09-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm somewhat perplexed by the attitude's of the Gardai regarding firearm's.

During May of this year, I had a legaly held firearm stolen from my luggage in JFK Airport, the theft of the firearm was reported to the police in the USA and of course to the local gardi on return to ireland at the end of july, naturally I sought to replace the firearm and informed the local firearms officer of the new serial number.
    Now just over 2 months later, I'm still waiting on them to act.

(SORRY, I should have stated that I am replacing it with the same make, model and caliber)
    Does anyone know what the garda procedure is regarding the issue of a replacement or amended license?

Thankfully I'm going back to the USA tomorrow and once there I can carry my US held firearm.
    NO MORE BACKWARD THINKING RUNNING SCARED POLICE TO DEAL WITH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

well if its the same caliber it should just be an issue of amending the licence in the station on the spot
    rediculous that your waiting 2 months:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Any action taken within 6 months would be defined as exceptionaly fast. Do not hold your breath. They take their sweet ass time processing all the documents in pheonix park (I think that is where they do all this, I may be wrong) It took me over a year to get my licence, I have a letter for a year. Imagine...

They cannot ammend a license on the spot, you think they use tipex or something? That's a lenghty procedure right there... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Any action taken within 6 months would be defined as exceptionaly fast. Do not hold your breath. They take their sweet ass time processing all the documents in pheonix park (I think that is where they do all this, I may be wrong) It took me over a year to get my licence, I have a letter for a year. Imagine...

They cannot ammend a license on the spot, you think they use tipex or something? That's a lenghty procedure right there... ;)

The phoenix park actually have a 24hr turn around time or something really short like that.

Generally the delay is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Phoenix Park turn licences around in a few days, so the delays are very much elsewhere.

They can and do amend licences on the spot, as countless people will testify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ok my bad, I can only speak from experience, which hasn't been a good one.

Is it a matter of who you know that the process may be delayed or "pushed forward"? It seems to be the case. Maybe these delays are at a local level and differ from station to station? What is the average wait time now anyway?

• Advertisement

Hay im getting my licence amended inthe next couple of days
    just have to wait for the FO to be in the station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The Phoenix Park turn licences around in a few days, so the delays are very much elsewhere.

They can and do amend licences on the spot, as countless people will testify.

Yes, I've had licences amended onthe spot. but you are practicaly considered a criminal once you've had a firearm stolen, as though its your fault!!

Yes, I've had licences amended onthe spot. but you are practicaly considered a criminal once you've had a firearm stolen, as though its your fault!!

I know a lad who had his rifle and shoty stolen and got replacments in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It depends, I know a guy who had is guns stolen, with the safe and a couple of hundred he kept in it for safe keeping (Who doesn't??) he got back shooting within a month forms to fill in etc, guards came out and saw they took safe and all felt he had them fairly secure.

I also know a guy who had a shotgun stolen from under the bed, he was told not to reapply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Y'know, the reason the Park is so fast at turnarounds and the local gardai are not, might have more to do with the fact that the Park office is tasked solely with licencing while licencing makes up a lot less than 1% of the workload of the local gardai...

And no offence to those across the pond, but I've seen more than enough reports to highlight that police officers on both sides of the pond are equally diverse in their views on firearms, from completely pro-private ownership to completely anti-private ownership. Nationality doesn't seem to play any role in it from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

A friend of mine had 2 shoty's taken about a year ago. they took safe and part of the wall! and he's still waiting to relicence! I don't blame the park at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

From the point of view of the Gardai, having a firearm stolen is a big deal. The whole purpose of CPO visits, security conditions and all the other bits that go into getting a FAC are designed to reduce the risk of a firearm being stolen and eventually ending up being used in a crime.

If there's been an element of carelessness involved in the theft (and I'm not referring to anyone who's posted here), the Gardai will be very reluctant to issue a new licence unless they can be satisfied that it won't happen again.

Remember you get your licence on the basis of 'no danger to the public' and having a firearm stolen, puts a question mark over that particular clause.

Advertisement