Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kicking off the wall

• 22-09-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm new to swimming and currently swimming twice a week. 45mins lsd no watch and 6x200m with a watch. I plan to do some triathlons next year so I will be joining the club swim sessions in a few weeks.

I personally find it very motivating to see my times dropping when I decide to time myself. Right now however I kick off the wall and glide for a second or two. A triathlete in the gym was saying to avoid doing this as it pays no dividends for an OW swim. My first Triathlon will be in a pool though so I want to obviously swim as fast as I can for that distance.

I just find that not kicking off the wall feels like stopping and starting again which makes a pool session in a 20m pool seem like forever! Am I 'cheating' myself here by kicking off the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

MCOS wrote: »

I just find that not kicking off the wall feels like stopping and starting again which makes a pool session in a 20m pool seem like forever! Am I 'cheating' myself here by kicking off the wall?

Pool swimming and OW swimming are like comparing apples and oranges - Pool swim distances would be broken up where OW is in one go. I race OW (on it's own and in Tris) and I kick off the wall when in the pool training. I train with other people who swim OW and they all kick off the wall - and i haven't heard anyone suggest that kicking off is cheating or detracts from training. If someone started that not kicking off thing in a club session they'd be holding other swimmers up and they wouldn't have a problem telling them to cut it out. But If that's what he likes to and it's not impeding the people behind him leave him to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Thanks! Newbie in the pool so I had to ask :) My first organised swim session next week. I'm actually a bit nervous about mixing it with other swimmers, I don't know why. Just new I suppose, I have only ever swum by myself

Advertisement