Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Light Fittings problem

• 22-09-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi

I recently tried to change the light fittings in my kitchen. There was two lights each light was controlled by two switches (two at each side of the room). There were several blue wires and a brown wire going to each light (and earths). So I tried connecting all the blue wires together and all the brown wires together. But now all the lights downstairs do not work.I checked with a phase tester and the some of the wires seem to be getting power. I have tried several different combinations of wiring the lights up, but cannot seem to get to work. It has been a while since I looked at it, but can get more detail if required.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to figure out how its supposed to be wired, or is it possible the rcd? is broken? or does is it more likely the wiring is mixed up

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

No offence, but it sounds like you don't know what you're doing, so it might be time to call in an expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sounds like the neutral link is broken (the blue wires), most likely you left a blue wire out of your connections.( or whoever did the original job ran out of a certain colour) Its unlikely it's an MCB ( I assume you meant to say MCB and not RCD as the RCD should have nothing to do with your lighting circuits.)

also I know this is a DIY section etc, but some level of knowledge is needed to carry out the advice given here, so if you are unsure you should follow nobys advice IMO. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

one of the blue wires might also be a live return from the switch as not all electricians would use brown/brown as there switch cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Thanks for the replies, Ill have to take another look at it and see if I can figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Would mods consider having a First Aid sub-forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Would mods consider having a First Aid sub-forum?

:D

Can you explain in plain English what you were actually trying to do? were you trying to add additional fittings? replace existing fittings?? Its not clear from your post.

Was the previous system working correctly? before you touched it?

From what you describe I'm not sure anyone here will be able to give any advice... too many possible combinations.

Some pictures might help. Also if you could draw up a rough sketch of what your trying to do.

As others have said you can not depend on wire colours alone when working with lighting circuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I am trying to replace existing light fittings. It was working before I went near it. Its been a while since I looked at it and wont be able to look at it for a while. When I do, I will post a diagram or something, and maybe someone can help me then. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

marathont wrote: »
    I am trying to replace existing light fittings. It was working before I went near it. Its been a while since I looked at it and wont be able to look at it for a while. When I do, I will post a diagram or something, and maybe someone can help me then. Thanks

OK this should be very straight forward, in theory.

You need to identify where each existing fitting is connected too, by tracing wiring etc... Then disconnect old fitting, connect new fitting. You may not need to trace any wires as the connection may possibly be made at the fittings themselves.

As always be sure power is knocked off, and if your uncomfortable get an electrician.

Advertisement