Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Belkin wireless adaptor

Options
  • 22-09-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have been using a wireless modem for a few months now along with Belkin wireless adaptor, I was away for a few days and when i got back and switched on my computer the icon for the wireless adaptor was gone ???? so that meant it wasn't picking up my broadband connection.
    I went into the add/remove programmes and it was there so i knew it was still on my PC so i tried uninstalling it and re installing but that didn't work, the programme uninstalled and then reinstalled but the windows wizard never picked up on the new hardware ?? and I kept getting a message saying that the Belkin hardware was not found ???
    I phoned my phone provider to be told it was nothing to do with them and they couldn't help so I rang Belkin in the UK and they said that there was no problem with the hardware because the green light is on and solid so it must be my PC that needs to be checked ?????

I then tried to uninstall it again on the add/remove programmes and it won't go away, it's stuck there.

I have now connected using my wires so I know now it's the wireless adaptor lol please can some one advise ?? does it mean I have to buy a new wireless adaptor ? is there something I can do on my computer to get it working properly again ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Something went astray with the driver.

In the control panel seek out Device Manager and see if anything listed there has an exclamation mark against it. Your device might. Double-click on it and install the driver through there if possible too. That might help your problem. Sometimes it does work.

You can also use "Add Hardware" in the same section. I'm assuming your using Vista. If its Xp the same contents are in XP but if I remember right, maybe moved around in there somewhere or retitled..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mary19

thank you for your reply.

I am using XP

I went into the control panel and went through everything and can't seem to find 'Device Manager' ???

I also tried the add hardware earlier but unfortunately it wouldn't pick up on the wireless adaptor and when I tried manually it wanted me to choose form options that I hadn't a clue about and I don't think are connected to the wireless adaptor ???

It's driving me mad LOL It won't delete from the add/remove programmes but yet windows won't recognise it as hardware to be installed ????

In XP "device manager" is found on a tab when you click "system" icon.

Have you also considered restoring the pc to a prior date using "System Restore" function?

I've just tried that now but it won't let me select a date prior to today's date ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mary are you using a little USB adaptor, or is it a card that goes inside the computer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Biggins wrote: »
    In XP "device manager" is found on a tab when you click "system" icon.

Have you also considered restoring the pc to a prior date using "System Restore" function?

Easiest way to access to Device Manager is

START
    Right click "My Computer"
    Choose "Manage" from the drop-down list.
    Device Manager is in the left hand pane of the resulting window.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

thanks everyone again for your replies.

calex71 I am using a USB adaptor .

gadgetman496, I went into that and there is nothing unusual in there, everything is reporting as running as normal, I was able to check all the ports and it came up that they were too running normal ??

the programme for belkin wireless is still on my programme list, it won't come off at all so trying to reinstall it by disc and manually is not working, it's really driving me mad now..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are you using a Laptop or Desktop?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

What model of Belkin adaptor are you using?

The main bulk of the files for Belkin will be at: C:\Program Files\Belkin
    The rest will be installed throughout your Registry. Cleaning out of this section with "Belkin" in it, will solve your problem.
    However, and I can't stress this enough (and others here will agree with me)
    -DO NOT ATTEMPT ANYTHING WITH THE REGISTRY UNLESS...
    1. You have done a backup first
    2. Your 100% sure what your doing.

If in doubt, LEAVE IT OUT.
    It can effect everything if you damage, alter, move anything unrelated.

If you don't chose to go that route, you might try Microsofts free Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
    Found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    That might remove the remaining offending parts of it.

Advertisement