Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Player 11 Problems

Options
  • 22-09-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Hoping this is the right forum for this.

I've a problem viewing videos using Windows Media Player 11. I've got Vista Home Premium 32 Bit ( fully patched ), DirectX 10 installed ( fully patched ) and an NVidia GeForce 6200 256Mb PCI Graphics Card ( latest drivers ).

Everything works great apart from one thing. If I watch a video in Windows Media Player, the image kind of flickers or shudders a little. It's hard to explain it, it's almost like it's being paused and then unpaused for a fraction of a second every second or two. It's not really bad, but it is noticeable and it gets annoying.

If I watch the same video using, say, Quicktime, it's fine.

Any ideas? Is it a Graphics Card / Driver problem, a Vista problem, or a Media Player problem? Thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

It probably is your graphics card... that's pretty old, and Vista Aero's going to be running that a bit on top of media player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yep, the PC in general is fairly old, though I upgraded the CPU, RAM, Hard Disk etc. The Graphics card was basically the best I could get for a PCI Motherboard.

What I don't understand though is why the video is poor in Windows Media Player, but fine in Quicktime.

I might try turning off all of Vista's fancy Graphic features and see if that makes a difference...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

WMP11 is an awful example of video playback. Its crap. I would only use it for music. get yourself VLC Player or WMP-Classic from the K-lite codec pack.

Advertisement