Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First post - bought a Kinesis Racelight TK

Options
  • 22-09-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

First post in this forum - be gentle :)

I spent some time today researching bike options (including on these forums), having been off the bike for ten years with back problems brought on by cycling.

Went round the houses with fixies (too much hard work), Felt Z65 (too summery), Ribble Audax (too conventional). Eventually decided on something comfortable/practical for all seasons, this:

Kinesis Racelight TK

It took a while to find a company who would give me Campag on this bike - most places are doing frame-only or built bike with 105. Dealers in the republic seem to be thin on the ground.

Eventually found this crowd:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Kinesis.htm

Can't recommend them enough (from experience so far). Took ages to decide exactly what spec, down to the tyre choice. Very knowledgeable and friendly.

Specced up with Campag Veloce, mudguards and A530 pedals, came to £1075. Shipping to Ireland was £60.

Happy days. Bring on the rain!

Anyone know a good physio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Looks like a good all-rounder, hope you enjoy the bike. You would be welcome to show it off on a Saturday spin with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks!

Right now I am all toys and no talent (or at least will be when the thing arrives next week).

I'm thinking about using it as a commuter to build up my fitness, as I can keep it safe in the office.

What's the best way to find out about clubs/groups doing weekend rides? I couldn't find anything listed in the FAQ.

I'm based in Dublin 15 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Lumen wrote: »
    What's the best way to find out about clubs/groups doing weekend rides? I couldn't find anything listed in the FAQ.

I'm based in Dublin 15 btw.

Re clubs, you can get a list of clubs from the Cyling Ireland website. Click on "Club Directory" icon on the right hand side of the page.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/html/site/

Living in Dublin 15, looks like your nearest options are Lucan Cycling Club or Dublin Wheelers (based out of Santry). However, if you're over 40, the Irish Veterans (www.ivca.info) could be a good choice, as most of their spins seem to start/end in Phoenix Park.

Re group spins, there's usually a boards group doing a spin or two at the weekends. Saturdays spins tend to be into Wicklow. Sunday spins from Phoenix Park were regular over the Summer. Keep on eye on the forums for notices, or start a thread yourself if you're planning a spin. There's a few posters based aroud Dublin 15, myself included, who might be able to join you.

Best of luck with the bike!

Thanks MH, have contacted Lucan club per your recommendation.

The veterans look good pace-wise (50 in 4 sounds about right!) but I fear they would reject me on age grounds - I'm "only" 34. Maybe I should get some fake ID...

eta: amusing that the vets will take men from 40, but women from 35.. motivations for that decision? ;)

Oh joy, it's here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Thats a lovely bike!!!!!

Do ya mind if i ask you a couple of questions about the child carrier?

At what age can you start putting a child on the bike?

Where did you get the carrier and is it easy to attach/dettach?

Best of luck with the bike it looks really nice!!!!

In my opinion, you can put a child on your bike as soon as they can hold themselves upright. Our (tiny) 14 month old had no problems. You may have difficulty finding a helmet small enough, though. The harnesses are not as snug as a car seat, but you can strap their feet in to help stability. That seat (Hamax Sleepy) reclines, which is useful up to a point, but our 3 year old's head still flops out a bit when he sleeps (maybe need some velcro on the back of his helmet).

The seat and rails detach from the bracket in seconds - there is a quick release button in the bracket.

The design of this seat is nice because the rails provide suspension, and you don't need a rack.

I have fixed the bracket high enough to allow use of both bottle cages, which is handy, but when I wear baggy shorts they rub occasionally on the bracket.

I bought the seat from Cycleways on Parnell St. It's the only one they stock, which made the decision easy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nice bike. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Lumen wrote: »
    You may have difficulty finding a helmet small enough, though.

FYI, these helmets are perfect for small kids, flat-ish at the back too so they are good for child seats.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25026

General advice is to wait until the child can hold head steady (around 1 year) so they can support the extra wait in the helmet. However, you can always pop a younger child in the bike seat and wheel the bike along if you're only going a short distance.

That's a nice bike btw, looks like a good all-rounder. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seriously thinking about one of them myself building it up and getting the frame from chain reaction but its a toss up between that and the ribble winter trainer
    although the racelight looks very nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement