Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thinking of getting 1 maybe 2 westies - advice?

• 22-09-2008 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 Westies and I've a couple of questions. I work from 8am till 4pm every day, so I'd be leaving the dogs outside in their kennels - do they bark much? I'd probably keep them in at night, but if I did decide to leave them outside, would this be ok?

I've heard they are great with children - is this the case? - I've a 6 year old niece and nephew, so want to be sure that they'll be ok with them (they're used to dogs so they'll behave!)

I would like to be able to take the dog/s in the car - are they good passengers?

Any other advice/recommendations are welcome :-)

Thanks,
    Trix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One question, and its not a trick Q.

With the limited time you can give them, why do you want them?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Why dont u ring westie rescue u can get their no on IA. A couple of yrs ago i had two westies here both rescues, they were handed to me because of their contionuous barking. Boy did they bark, they never shut up. Also from what i hear they are not good with kids, ok as pups but not when they grow. I think westie rescue dont home to people with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

Hi Mairt,

I had a dog for 9 years and he was killed in my back garden 2 mths ago. I really want to get another dog as they're great company and I really miss having one :-(

I read that Westies are great watchdogs and would bark if someone tried to come near the house. I don't want a guard dog, but want a watch dog. The reason that I want 2 is so that they have company when I'm in work. My last dog was absolutely fine on his own, but my preference is to have 2 dogs this time so they can keep each other company.

Mary thanks for the advice - I'll give them a call :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

- do they bark much?

question asked ...

and answered:
    I read that Westies are great watchdogs and would bark if someone tried to come near the house. I don't want a guard dog, but want a watch dog.

/ thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Westies are very quick to bite. I wouldn't recommend getting one if you have young kids around. They're also prone to severe skin conditions and allergies.

They're rugged, aggressive, hunting dogs, not the cuddly teddy bears that they look like.

If you want my opinion, don't go for this breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Before getting a westie I'd highly recommend contacting Westie Rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting 1 or 2 Westies and I've a couple of questions. I work from 8am till 4pm every day, so I'd be leaving the dogs outside in their kennels - do they bark much? I'd probably keep them in at night, but if I did decide to leave them outside, would this be ok?

I've heard they are great with children - is this the case? - I've a 6 year old niece and nephew, so want to be sure that they'll be ok with them (they're used to dogs so they'll behave!)

I would like to be able to take the dog/s in the car - are they good passengers?

Any other advice/recommendations are welcome :-)

Thanks,
    Trix

Do yourself a favour and leave getting them till you have more time at home. Also, if you have any respect fro your neighbours. We have one next door and it never stops barking from the time they leave the house till they let him back in at night. Hes stuck out there all the time, they never walk him, and he's not even house trained so they cant leave him inside when they head off....Cats are more independant and wont drive your neighbours insane, well as long as he doesn't poop in thier garden :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I read that Westies are great watchdogs and would bark if someone tried to come near the house. I don't want a guard dog, but want a watch dog. The reason that I want 2 is so that they have company when I'm in work.

They will bark if they see someone coming the house , but once the bugler comes inside they will only start begging for walkies....

so no , not great guard dogs ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I'm sure there are many lovely child friendly Westies out there, but in general I would NOT recommend them as children's pets under any circumstances. They can be headstrong, snappy little feckers, and must not ever be given their own way, if you do get one, it has to be strictly disciplined from day one.
    Oh yeah, please please please get pet insurance.... That these guys are prone to many allergies is no joke.
    I'm sure there are lots of lovely little shaggy crossbreeds in the pound who are physically more robust with a less argumentative temperament, please consider a rescue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

hadook wrote: »
    Before getting a westie I'd highly recommend contacting Westie Rescue.

GOOD ADVICE
    I contacted Westie Rescue a few months back about adopting a Westie. We have 3 big dogs already and I'd always wanted a Westie for indoors. I rang Westie rescue and explained the home circumstances which includes 2 young children. I was advised completely against getting a Westie. The lady told me 8/10 rescues are because of the intolerance of Westies to children and they have snapped/bitten and the dog had to be removed. She also said Westies are possessive and jealous dogs and are more suitable to grown ups. She changed my mind completely. I am glad now I took her advice. Imagine I just went out and brought one home without doing my research. A bad decision choosing a dog when there are children involved is not worth thinking about.

I was advised though that the Scotties have a fantastic temperment. I think they are as adorable as the Westies and they are very smart. I will get one of these but maybe next year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And to think my Staffies are considered dangerous dogs, lol..

OP, you appear like you'd make a great dog owner it just looks like the Westie isn't for you.

If you change your mind on the breed this site has a whole host of members with lots of experience of all the breeds.

Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi

We have a westie, about 18 months old. He is very good. He is home during the day on his own for about 6 hours, but i work from home a good bit so it isnt too bad. Even when i work from home i will leave him outside to do his normal routine, which is sleep during the day.

He loves his walks and will sit at the front door sulking if he doesnt get them, and he doesnt care about rain!!!

He doesnt bark too much to be honest. If the doorbell rings he will bark alright. He will bark at birds aswell, while chasing them around the garden.

He sleeps inside. He is great with all the nieces and nephews aswell.

I would agree on the discipline though, you have to be very tough on them, its too easy to say yes, and also insurance is a must.

Maybe we were just lucky, but Gerry is a great little dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Watchdogs ?

have to laugh as my last westie stayed in his bed while my neighbour let himself in to let him out for a pee as I was running late.
    Said dog had never met the neighbour before.
    It was so funny - looked up from his bed and went back to sleep.

Not to say others are not ferociuos wee beasts now but Bruce was a lamb.
    Terrible with kids and other dogs - I re-iterate all the others have said about westie's low tolerance levels etc.

Maureen from Westie Rescue is the best placed person to talk to/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I always had westies growing up and IMO you can never be too sure about them. 2 of mine were completely placid and calm all of the time, the other 2 were complete and utter loopers. Prone to snapping & barking like there was no tomorrow (no matter how many walks they were on each day). That said a lot probably depends on where they come from and how they have been handled by the breeder or previous owner. You might be better off with 1 bigger dog who wont be as snappy and I reckon the bigger dogs are better with kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

I fostered a Westie for about a week almost a year ago now and my German Shep used to hide under the jeep from her. She was a bossy little madam, cute dogs but wouldn't be my choice if you are around small children. I think they own you rather than you owning them! :p

....back to the drawing board I think - it sounds like Westies would be a bit of a risk :-(

Thanks
    Trix
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I have a westie and although she is very sweet tempered and loves kids, she could snap if she was eating etc. They are a dog better for maybe kids age 12 +

I suppose what sort of lifestyle can you offer?
    How much exersize each day etc.....

Have you considered a pair of greyhounds? They are very sweet and gentle dogs and are fine with kids I believe as they are never know to be grumpy at all. They also only need about 45 mins walk a day as even though they are capable of running very fast they are really rather quite lazy and prefer to sleep lol.

You could also consider fostering, I think this is a very good way to determine what sort of dog would you like best, of course if you got along with a dog of any sort you could always keep him and you'd be helping out needy dogs along your way.

Good luck with finding a dog(s) and it's great that you are putting so much thought into getting the right dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

What about looking into Japanese Spitz?

You could start by talking to the girl that runs Japanese Spitz Rescue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Why not get in touch with dogs in distress or ash animal foundation. There are literally hundreds of wonderful dogs looking for a hom and if you are willing to take on two dogs all the better. The dogs are in foster care so you can get a pretty good idea of their personality already and some of them are fostered together. at the moment we are fostering a dog called Marely, and he is fab, although I think we are going to keep him as he is just so fantastic. We already got one dog from them who is a Spitz Collie cross and he is fab too. I can't recommend getting an older settled dog enough. Particularily if you are not going to be there during the day. Pups need you to be around.

http://www.dogsindistress.org/rehoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I second the greyhound idea - but they do need to sleep indoors at night. They're fantastic family pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I have a westie for the past 5 years. She's fantastic with a great bubbly personality BUT she is so headstrong. She loves getting her own way & has a will of iron.
    Also she is not good with children. I would NEVER leave her alone with any child as she does tend to snap or bite.
    If I was getting another dog I definately wouldn't get a Westie (although I love mine). I didn't do any research on the breed when I was getting her, I just thought they were nice cuddly little teddy bears!! Just too much risk with the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Westie = terrier.

They are hunting dogs and will be headstrong and bark. Have a 10 year old one who has been fantastic all his life. Is fine with older kids, but did snap at my nephew at one point (although no-one knows what prompted it - may have been a bit of ear pulling going on :rolleyes:)

Lovely dogs and great to be around, did have allergies which were settled by not feeding tinned food.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

I called up to the Dublin ISPCA pound last weekend and chose 2 dogs. I then went to talk to the girl and she said they would absolutely not let me take them because I wasn't home during the day....I was really upset as I had hoped to rescue one instead of buying a pup. I'm guessing most pounds/homing shelters will be the same :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

where are you based OP -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ahhh Westies.

I've never met a breed so outwardly Loud and aggressive.
    Our neigbour has one that barks all day long at anything and everything. It chases any stragers, terrifies Kids and any people out walking and I'm afraid one day will catch one of my cats.

my girlfriend grooms dogs and I got to say when there is stress in the house hold and I hear screams and roars, tears and temper tantrams its usually caused by Westies.

~B

hi all,

thanks again. I'm hoping now to get 2 dogs from a rescue centre so fingers crossed :-)

Cheers,
    Trix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

As a part owner (family dogs, like) of 4 Westies, I can safely agree with the comments saying a Westie is not for you unfortunately. They are gorgeous, intelligent and hilarious little guys but can be absolute feckers when they want to be:p
    Ruby Soho wrote: »
    They can be headstrong, snappy little feckers, and must not ever be given their own way, if you do get one, it has to be strictly disciplined from day one.
    Oh yeah, please please please get pet insurance.... That these guys are prone to many allergies is no joke.
    Great point re: temperament. These dogs need lots of training ,in my opinion, during the early days as they can very easily get the idea that they are in charge of what goes on in the house. You can't give them an inch, because they will literally never forget that you gave into them once. Ours are left alone for really no more than 4 hours a day and they still cause a fair amount of havoc.
    Mitzy wrote: »
    I have a westie for the past 5 years. She's fantastic with a great bubbly personality BUT she is so headstrong. She loves getting her own way & has a will of iron.
    So true, they never ever give up. Whether it's begging for a walk or food or your chair or lying on your freshly washed laundry or sleeping on you (yes, on you) at night they will never give up:p
    otwb wrote: »
    Westie = terrier.
    Another good point. They will easily destroy your garden aswell, destroying themselves in the process:rolleyes:

As for watchdogs, I can see where the idea would come from. Two of mine often bark at the wind blowing or birds flying in the sky. They love the company of each other (and a Cairn terrier) but they often end up fighting. Unless you can devote a lot of time to training and supervising Westies, they are loads of other breeds out there that are a hell of a lot less maintenence.

I hope you can find something more suited to your situation:)

Advertisement