Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans-Siberian Railway detour to Volgograd?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Has anyone included a detour to Volgograd with the Trans-Siberian Railway?

I really want to include this city in my trip, due to its significance in WW2 (Stalingrad).

I intend to travel from St Petersburg... Moscow... Volgograd... Irkutsk... Ulanbaatar... Beijing. Hopefully in Oct/Nov 2008.

If anyone has any ideas/advice i'd be delighted!!biggrin.gif

(I've read most of the Trans-Siberian Threads, which are very helpful, but haven't found any with a detour to Volgograd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Hi there!

Before i get any replies... confused.gif (Hopefully one!)

I have decided now to do this trip in the opposite direction, by flying to Beijing, and getting a Trans-Siberian Train (Beijing/ UlanBaatar/ Irkutsk/ Moscow/ St Petersburg) and then go interrailing through europe!

I still would love to visit Volgograd, so if anyone has any advice, let me know!
    wink.gif

Also, if I wanted travel (by train) from St Petersburg to Krakow or Warsaw would i need a transit/tourist Visa for Lithuania or Belarus or Ukraine (depending on the country i travel through)?

Thanks if ye can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Don't know about the trans siberian side of things, but if you're travelling to Warsaw you will almost definitely need a transit visa for belarus (the only exception being one route from Lithuania to Poland that I think would involve a lot of detours. IF you go through Ukraine you won't need a visa, but it's further down south. You can get the transit visa either in Moscow same day, or from the Belarusian embassy in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mangledbadgers

Thanks for that! I found the easiest way to see what train routes you can take was the German www.bahn.de website... but wasn't sure on the Visas for those countries!

Advertisement