Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents Parking Only?????

Options
  • 06-11-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

My sister was very annoyed today to get back to her car and find a big 'Residents Parking Only' sign slapped on it. She was parked in the main artery into a large private estate. There's only one way in and out of the estate as far as I know, if that makes any difference.

The thing is, she goes to a college local to that estate and the parking in the college is abysmal, ten or twelve places for the entire school! Anyway, the residents have seemingly decided that nobody but residents of this estate have any business parking outside their houses, because there is a white 'Residents Parking Only' sign erected at the road into the estate, and now this business with the sticker.

The thing is, there is no pay-parking there but nor are there any yellow lines. She was not blocking anyone’s driveway. The houses there apparently have very large driveways, easily big enough to accommodate two cars, so I can’t imagine what their problem is. Maybe they feel their estate ought to be exempt from the traffic congestion in Dublin??? That's what it looks like to me. Pricks...

Anyway, my sister has only just started college and she doesn’t need this kind of headache in the morning. As far as I am aware she was legally parked and is entitled to park anywhere on that road as long as she's not blocking anyone’s driveway. Basically what I'm asking is: does the absence of yellow lines mean any motorist can park on a road? And if so, what's the story with their 'Residents Parking Only' sign? Would they have erected that themselves or does it hold any weight in law? In other words (and this is her biggest fear, cause she’s a skint student) – is there any fear of her coming out of college to find the dreaded big yellow thing affixed to her wheel?

I'd appreciate anyone setting the record straight for me asap so I can tell her what the story is in time for tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement