Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish black pepper

• 22-09-2008 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Is is possible to get rubbish black pepper? I always thought black pepper was one of those things that I didn't have to even think about looking for a high quality version of but I got an extremely cheap bag of pepper corns in Lidl on special a while back and either I'm going mad or it tastes of practically nothing. I love freshly ground black pepper, it goes on near everything I eat so I think I'm going to have to tip the contents of my grinder into the bin!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

It's probably just old rather than 'rubbish'. All spices lose their flavour over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

All spices lose flavour and intensity as they age. The best way to preserve it is either use them up quickly, or store them in an airtight container. Buying in bulk is cheaper, but it's not necessarily better if you use spices only once a week or less - you really need to be motoring through those big 500g packets for it to be worth your while buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

That makes an awful lot of sense, thanks :)

Advertisement