Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Requirements for admission

• 22-09-2008 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

I can't find a definite answer to this - so I was wondering if anyone here could help?
    If an applicant for UL 2009 entry is exempt from Irish but is not doing another language either - will he/she be admitted? I think the answer is no - but I want to be sure. (I have emailed UL admissions as well)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have a feeling no is the answer too. AFAIK it's English, Irish AND another language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    I have a feeling no is the answer too. AFAIK it's English, Irish AND another language.
    Only two of those Derek, UL is unusual in that regard

It's English and (Irish or another language)

Still, you look like you're still stuck - the above is what the UL prospectus states as the official requirement for entry. Obviously the admissions office will have the official answer.

yes, for the nerds out there, I put in the bracket to avoid an Algol-60-style (else) issue. Bite me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

sceptre wrote: »
    yes, for the nerds out there, I put in the bracket to avoid an Algol-60-style (else) issue. Bite me

*Chomp.....needs salt. :D:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote: »

This is truly obscure. I didn't realise you were that old!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

yeah had to wikipedia it. TRIVIA: made by the same people that made ascii.

no doubt it was later beaten by a better algorithmic language created by the people who made unicode. xD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

shabouwcaw wrote: »
    yeah had to wikipedia it. TRIVIA: made by the same people that made ascii.

no doubt it was later beaten by a better algorithmic language created by the people who made unicode. xD

Ah no....Algol was developed by European & American computer scientists at ETH in Switzerland.

ASCII was developed by the X3 commitee of the American Standards Association.

Now there's a possibility that there was some overlap in the members of the design teams but they were definitely two different organisations.

I wouldn't say it was beaten however it did influence the design of some later languages like C.

Advertisement