Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgia

Options
  • 22-09-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Why do we look back with fondness? Even though back then, things seemed mundane or ordinary. But when you look back now, they were "the good old days".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I would hazard a guess that its because those moments are irretrievable, which makes them precious, if they were good ones. We seek to resurrect them in thinking nostalgically about them. Similar to the 80s craze for the last few years and the 60s/70s craze in the 90s. We try to relive the past as a commemoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

All I'll say about nostalgia is it ain't what it used to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I would hazard a guess that its because those moments are irretrievable, which makes them precious, if they were good ones. We seek to resurrect them in thinking nostalgically about them. Similar to the 80s craze for the last few years and the 60s/70s craze in the 90s. We try to relive the past as a commemoration.

I think you're right. I also think that the element of safety plays a part.

We can tell a story about going over our bike handlebars with a smile, because we know how the story ends, with lives intact! Its comforting to think about things that have no element of danger or risk attached, especially during times of turbulence.

When its a memory, we know the story can't harm, or touch, our present lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I remember when i used to be really into nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think you're right. I also think that the element of safety plays a part.

We can tell a story about going over our bike handlebars with a smile, because we know how the story ends, with lives intact! Its comforting to think about things that have no element of danger or risk attached, especially during times of turbulence.

When its a memory, we know the story can't harm, or touch, our present lives.

Yes, thats a good point, I think theres always an element of unease about the future or the present situation. Even if its totally subliminal and fairly passive at the best of times, it can still be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gavin-Ryan

Another reason is we usually remeber the better things, the boring and mundane things usually leave our mind leaving mostly fond memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

kazzer wrote: »
    Why do we look back with fondness? Even though back then, things seemed mundane or ordinary. But when you look back now, they were "the good old days".

.....Sigh...Perhaps its because the more experience one has of the human condition and our fellow man drains ones idealism and hope of permanent happiness. Thats my theory. I will openly admit that the older I get the more cynical and discontented I become. Yet when I recall my philosophy of life even ten years ago I was far more quixotic and trusting. Yeah I'm turning into a miserable ol' ****e and I'm not even thirty yet.:rolleyes:

Still though I think there may be a modicum,at least, of universal, subjective truth behind my theory. Is anyone else a disgruntled cynic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement