Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gazza really has lost the plot

• 22-09-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=876739
    Having been arrested last week for criminal damage, a disturbing new video has now been released of a drunken Gazza at the Metz Experience bar in Dunston, Tyne and Wear, in which he claims that he tried to steal two billion pounds off Pope John Paul, who died three years ago.

The 41-year-old also talks about his relationship with Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi, and claims actor George Clooney wanted to challenge him to a game of darts.

‘Gazza’ adds that he spoke to staff at the White House and the Pentagon, while he also tells his friends about how to make £2000 with some toilet roll.

heres the video below, i know he has done some awful stuff, but i found this really sad :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Jeez.

I know he'd resent it, but you can't help but pity the guy.
    It's his relations and loved ones I really feel for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

He's gone downhill fast. If you read his autobiography (which everyone should do, great read) you'll realise just how bad this could be for him if he continues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Wife beater and dipso....my heart bleeds for the guy.

gixerfixer wrote: »

Like I said.
    It's the family and loved ones I feel for.
    If you've been through it with someone you love, it can wreck your head good and proper.

Totally agree with the above. I feel for the family but the guy was always a fool...now he's just a sad fool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The lights are on but there's nobody home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Suffers from mental illness (also a family history of it,along with alcohol abuse) and most of his so-called "loved ones" are parasites who have lived off his fame for years.

But yeah, you just stand in judgement...:rolleyes:

I really fear his situation is entering it's final phase right now, and I don't see the outcome being positive.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I really fear his situation is entering it's final phase right now, and I don't see the outcome being positive.

Could someone explain this please? I was aware he is/was an alcoholic but are there other problems as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

deise59 wrote: »
    He's gone downhill fast. If you read his autobiography (which everyone should do, great read) you'll realise just how bad this could be for him if he continues like this.

Emotional roller coaster that book is, you can see when you are reading it how fragile a character he is. That story about his mate getting knocked down when he was young seems to be the catalyst for so much instability.
    Like I said.
    It's the family and loved ones I feel for.
    If you've been through it with someone you love, it can wreck your head good and proper.

Don't be. They are partially to blame for the mess that Gazza finds himself in now. The likes of Five Bellies, supposedly his best mate, hung on to bleed him dry, and then goes and sells a story to the rags when he is down on his luck. Likewise, his family should have been there in the 90's to intervene and get him on the straight and narrow. Instead, everyone thought 'let's all laugh at what Gazza is doing now'. It would seem that his parents had a large part in him moving to Spuds and not United (Spurs offered to buy them a house as part of the deal). No one knows what would have happened, but Gazza under Fergie's watch could have turned out to be a much happier ending.

Gazza is a truly tragic figure. If you read his book, you can feel the passion he has for the game, and how really, that has been the downfall of him. All he has ever wanted to do is play football. Money was never his motive. He now finds himself unable to do what he loved doing all his life, and finds himself isolated from the game, and lost without it.

At this point, I don't know where Gazza can go. He has been in and out of rehab numerous times, and I think his demons are much more powerful than addiction. I think he has had an underlying mental health condition for years (probably most of his life), and now it is manifesting itself in the worst possible way. I can only hope something or someone can intervene, and prevent what seems to becoming more inevitable as time goes on.

All sh/t aside, no one can deny that at one stage, Gazza was a joy to behold. I get mesmerized every time I watch this video, and then kinda sad when it ends, and I remember what has become of that talent.

EDIT: Don't know why the video is saying 'no longer available' (is it only me?) But here is the Youtube page.

tribulus wrote: »
    Could someone explain this please? I was aware he is/was an alcoholic but are there other problems as well?

No one ever seems to man up and say it, but it is clear that he has massive depression issues, and some sort of personality disorder. When times we good, this was reflected in his 'pranks' and attention seeking. Most passed it off and laughed along with him.

If stories are to be believed, Gazza has attempted suicide on at least 2 occasions over the last year.

• Advertisement

Suffers from mental illness (also a family history of it,along with alcohol abuse) and most of his so-called "loved ones" are parasites who have lived off his fame for years.

But yeah, you just stand in judgement...:rolleyes:

Stand in judgement? The guy beat his wife to a pulp FFS and you want me to feel sorry for him. Ah sure he was a great footballer so that buys him a pass. He is a looney and a dipso (sorry if i tell it like it is) and had all the money in the world to seek the proper help for whatever problems he had and pissed it down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sad Story alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Fair play to the chap who had a bet with him in the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stand in judgement? The guy beat his wife to a pulp FFS and you want me to feel sorry for him. Ah sure he was a great footballer so that buys him a pass. He is a looney and a dipso (sorry if i tell it like it is) and had all the money in the world to seek the proper help for whatever problems he had and pissed it down the drain.
    We are all aware of the high and low points in his life as everything about Gazza has been in the media at some point.

So whats your reason for posting that stuff?
    Is it to have to try and instigate an argument?
    Is it because of some deep rooted issues of your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think - if not reunited - his ex-wife is back in his life again.

I'd never condone wife-beating, but it's obvious that the guy is mentally-ill, and has been for a long time. I would personally like to see him getting sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

stovelid wrote: »
    I think - if not reunited - his ex-wife is back in his life again.

She must've found out how much he got for his autobiography.

Have ya a source on that anywhere? Hope it's not true.

amacachi wrote: »
    She must've found out how much he got for his autobiography.

Your sauce sir:

Here

Here

And here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

remember the up-roar when jack charlton said "if you knew Sheryl you'd probably hit her too"?

feel very sorry for Gazza, was a great but never had the head for it - i just hope he gets himself sorted soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I feel bad for this guy because he was a genius at his profession but just struggled in his interactions with people. How he learned to cope with that was through alcohol. He is a modern-day genius, and he should be respected and looked-after.

Society does not cater for everyone, and some of such people struggle in a big way to cope with their lives.

Kevin

amacachi wrote: »

I believe there has been a reconciliation with Cheryl, but I'm not sure if they are back together.

I know from speaking to members of the Spurs Supporters Trust (who have worked in conjunction with a player's trust set up at Tottenham to help former players of the club) that there have been a number of attempts to intervene and provide Gazza with the help he needs, but unfortunately that's not worked out.

He is suffering from severe depression, and unless he stops and takes the steps needed to get his life back to some semblance of normality I fear for his well being.
    gixerfixer wrote:
    The guy beat his wife to a pulp FFS and you want me to feel sorry for him. Ah sure he was a great footballer so that buys him a pass. He is a looney and a dipso (sorry if i tell it like it is) and had all the money in the world to seek the proper help for whatever problems he had and pissed it down the drain.

I hope you never suffer from or are exposed to the effects of mental illness in your life, nobody is asking people to forget his faults but is there any need to continue to drag them up now? It is clear the man suffers from alcoholism (which is not an excuse, it is a recognised illness) and I'm now saying he suffers from mental illness and has done for most of his adult life. He has had little or no support structure during his time as a celebrity, instead he has been the subject of constant media scrutiny and has had parasitic scumbags (both "friends" and family) bleed him dry during that time.

I find it sad that his life has degenerated to this stage, I find it sadder still that those who take the moral high ground use it as an opportunity to kick him when he's down. Well done you...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It is clear the man suffers from alcoholism (which is not an excuse, it is a recognised illness) and I'm now saying he suffers from mental illness and has done for most of his adult life. He has had little or no support structure during his time as a celebrity, instead he has been the subject of constant media scrutiny and has had parasitic scumbags (both "friends" and family) bleed him dry during that time.

Plus he picked Spurs over United. How could you live with yourself? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm surprised there aren't more former football players going done a similar path tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

As a Ger I loved the guy but its his family I feel for now in the main he has problems beyond belief but he has to admit to them and get help and I think it might be to late now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

That's very sad to see. Upsetting even. Watching it I first thought the guy who stuck this up on youtube was a boll!x but it seems Gazza is like this all the time now and needs help. Great player and tragic person. Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for him:(

I know from speaking to members of the Spurs Supporters Trust (who have worked in conjunction with a player's trust set up at Tottenham to help former players of the club) that there have been a number of attempts to intervene and provide Gazza with the help he needs, but unfortunately that's not worked out.

From what I can gather, similar moves were attempted by those with connections to football in the North East not so long ago, with the same level of success. I know Keegan was willing at one stage (when he looked to be getting on the mend) to welcome Gazza into to the club, and have him involved on a part time basis with some of the junior players. IMO, this would have been great for him, as all he seems to strive for is to be still involved with the game.

I still see Gazza banners hanging in the Upper Leazes at St. James, and this is testament to the affection people still carry for him. I only hope that something positive can come of all this, and Paul can get the help he has be been crying out for.
    I hope you never suffer from or are exposed to the effects of mental illness in your life, nobody is asking people to forget his faults but is there any need to continue to drag them up now? It is clear the man suffers from alcoholism (which is not an excuse, it is a recognised illness) and I'm now saying he suffers from mental illness and has done for most of his adult life. He has had little or no support structure during his time as a celebrity, instead he has been the subject of constant media scrutiny and has had parasitic scumbags (both "friends" and family) bleed him dry during that time.

I find it sad that his life has degenerated to this stage, I find it sadder still that those who take the moral high ground use it as an opportunity to kick him when he's down. Well done you...:mad:

Well fucking said!

A poster on 365 sums up my feelings:
    Someone help him for f**ksake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The comments from certain people on here are nothing short of disgusting.

Yes the man has made mistakes in his life, and some of them unforgivable, but he was also a man who brought immense joy to thousands of football fans.

He is also a man who by all accounts is generous beyond belief, some may say this is part of his problem.
    A man who has seen "friends" come and go, as quickly as his fame and fortune disapated.

Danny Baker, Chris Evans, Jimmy "5 Bellies" you are every bit as accountable (among others) for Gazza's downfall as the man himself.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Danny Baker, Chris Evans, Jimmy "5 Bellies" you are every bit as accountable (among others) for Gazza's downfall as the man himself.

Too true. These mongs need a good hard look at themselves for what they encouraged.

Too true. These mongs need a good hard look at themselves for what they encouraged.

They dont care, Baker and Evans dumped him as soon as his problems started becoming really apparent at the end of his career.

5 Bellies on the other hand is just an absolute scumbag who will cling on to every last ounce of cash/fame Gazza can chuck his way.

And when the worst happens (because lets face it, we can all see it coming) will be fantastic fodder for the newspapers.

While I agree with a lot of what ye are saying, about the parasites, and depression, a lot of the righteous indignation in here is a bit naive.

Gazza is an alcoholic.
    Plain and simple.
    Alcoholics spend their lives making excuses.
    They thrive off of it.
    And saying "Oh it's his friends fault", or " it's all the media", or "he isn't mentaly sound" are excuses.
    Enabeling excuses.

For every parasitic friend, he had proper friends and family, who loved him (love him still), and did everything for him a dozen times over.

If you haven't been there, and had to clean up, and carry someone you love cause of similar problems, then ye really should get off your high horses, cause you really do have no idea.

When you have to watch someone you love slowly killing themselves, then come back to me.

When you have to watch others you love suffering cause of an alcoholics actions, and inability to control themselves.
    And you start to resent and hate the person who you love, cause of what they've done - and keep on doing - while still loving them.
    When you've seen first hand just how many lives an alcoholic can f**k up, then I'm fairly sure that a lot of ye would think of it differently.

But obviously you don't.
    And be very, very, thankful for that.

What it boils down to his this.
    Gazza, as with every other alcoholic, is responsible for his own actions.
    He didn't have to be influenced by others, he didn't have to end up like he did.
    He had many, many, people who tried to help him, but he never helped himself.
    How many famous footballers didn't end up like Gazza?

Alcoholics are cowards basically.
    Hidding behind a bottle, and he excuses that people make for them.

Gazza is just another alcoholic.
    To be pityied, and offered help.
    But not excuses.

• Advertisement

And when the worst happens (because lets face it, we can all see it coming) will be fantastic fodder for the newspapers.

The fat blivot already has. :mad: Trying to find a sauce, but I definitively read the kiss and tell story somewhere in the last 6 months.

While i agree with what your saying to an extent Karmafaerie, the "righteous inignation" as you put it isnt directed at those reasons.

I remember on this very board around a year or so ago being slaughtered from quite a large cross section of the posters for reffereing to Artur Boruc as a "Nutjob".

Yet others now get away with describing a man who has obvious mental problems (not just alcohol issues IMO, although possibly brought on by the abuse of alcohol) as a "loony and a dipso" (what is a dipso anyway?)

And that i find well and truly out of order.

The fat blivot already has. :mad: Trying to find a sauce, but I definitively read the kiss and tell story somewhere in the last 6 months.

Doesnt surprise me at all.

There will be a large number of bottom feeder journo's lining up to ghostwrite the book.

While i agree with what your saying to an extent Karmafaerie, the "righteous inignation" as you put it isnt directed at those reasons.

I remember on this very board around a year or so ago being slaughtered from quite a large cross section of the posters for reffereing to Artur Boruc as a "Nutjob".

Yet others now get away with describing a man who has obvious mental problems (not just alcohol issues IMO, although possibly brought on by the abuse of alcohol) as a "loony and a dipso" (what is a dipso anyway?)

And that i find well and truly out of order.

I know what you mean man.
    From where I'm sitting posts like that are very naive too.

It's just not black and white is all I'm saying to be honest.

Gazza is an alcoholic.
    Plain and simple.
    Alcoholics spend their lives making excuses.
    They thrive off of it.
    And saying "Oh it's his friends fault", or " it's all the media", or "he isn't mentaly sound" are excuses.
    Enabeling excuses.

I can't begin to describe the problems that you have obviously encountered, but please don't assume what you have gone through is representative of every case like this.

Gascoigne's alcoholism is a symptom of a much deeper problem, he has admitted he has received treatment for bulimia, OCD and bi-polar disorder. I'm not offering excuses for him, and until Paul finds the courage or motivation to deal with his own inner demons then he will never find peace, but when he is surrounded y so-called friends who help his recovery by inviting him on the piss in Malta (the last time he fell off the wagon, after he was sectioned earlier this year) then one has to ask questions about whether he is in the right company.

His own family have contributed to his state of mind (I believe both his parents suffer from alcohol problems)

I've not dealt with this in any great detail, but I have two close friends who are recovering addicts (one alcohol, one cocaine), another who manged to stop drinking before it got out of hand, and a fourth who is what I'd describe as a functioning alcoholic who has also suffered mental health issues, so I have some experience of what people have to go through.

i accept Paul needs to take responsibility for his current state, but from what I know from my contacts at Spurs his situation is most definitely complicated by his mental health. I'm not offering excuses, I'm trying to provide context and clarity.

I hope you take that as it was intended.

I can't begin to describe the problems that you have obviously encountered, but please don't assume what you have gone through is representative of every case like this.

Gascoigne's alcoholism is a symptom of a much deeper problem, he has admitted he has received treatment for bulimia, OCD and bi-polar disorder. I'm not offering excuses for him, and until Paul finds the courage or motivation to deal with his own inner demons then he will never find peace, but when he is surrounded y so-called friends who help his recovery by inviting him on the piss in Malta (the last time he fell off the wagon, after he was sectioned earlier this year) then one has to ask questions about whether he is in the right company.

His own family have contributed to his state of mind (I believe both his parents suffer from alcohol problems)

I've not dealt with this in any great detail, but I have two close friends who are recovering addicts (one alcohol, one cocaine), another who manged to stop drinking before it got out of hand, and a fourth who is what I'd describe as a functioning alcoholic who has also suffered mental health issues, so I have some experience of what people have to go through.

i accept Paul needs to take responsibility for his current state, but from what I know from my contacts at Spurs his situation is most definitely complicated by his mental health. I'm not offering excuses, I'm trying to provide context and clarity.

I hope you take that as it was intended.

We all know that Paul has problems, and I feel for him, like we all do.
    But the buck does stop with him.
    He does have "friends" who are largely responsible, but if he didn't let them they wouldn't be a problem.
    I'm sure your friends have plenty of people that they won't be around as any more, as they know it won't be healty for them.
    Gazza needs to realise that as well as kicking the alcohol, he has to kick the parasites too.
    He won't be able to help himself until he does.

Obviously the way that he was brought up, and his mental issues are a factor, but at the same time, I'd say that his alcoholism is a big factor in his mental issues also.

Gazza just needs to want to help himself.

Sorry if I came off a bit serious in the post.
    It seemed to me like a lot of people making excuses.
    Obviously not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

We all know that Paul has problems, and I feel for him, like we all do.
    But the buck does stop with him.
    He does have "friends" who are largely responsible, but if he didn't let them they wouldn't be a problem.
    I'm sure your friends have plenty of people that they won't be around as any more, as they know it won't be healty for them.
    Gazza needs to realise that as well as kicking the alcohol, he has to kick the parasites too.
    He won't be able to help himself until he does.

Obviously the way that he was brought up, and his mental issues are a factor, but at the same time, I'd say that his alcoholism is a big factor in his mental issues also.

Gazza just needs to want to help himself.

I expect you'll be telling him to snap out of it next! You should consider the possibility that Gazza doesn't want to help himself and he is also completely incapable of helping himself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The worst may be for the best in the case of Gazza.

I expect you'll be telling him to snap out of it next! You should consider the possibility that Gazza doesn't want to help himself and he is also completely incapable of helping himself.

Gazza may not want to help himself, but saying he can't help himself is crap.
    Yes he can.
    In fact he's the only one who can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes he can.

In the long run, yes, it's down to his own desire to get back to some sort of normality. But I object to your saying 'he can't help himself is crap' remark.

A sprinter may desperately want to run in the 100m final, but if his body is somehow damaged he wont be able to do this. In similar manner, if stories of Gazza's mental instability are to be believed, then his mind is damaged. And given that the brain is just another organ in the body (albeit a mite more complex than the rest), it seems reasonable to suggest that Gazza is currently beyond helping himself.

Anyway, best of wishes to the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yes he can.

I don't think he can if he is mental.

• Advertisement

I've seen many normal people, fall for the drink, and then suddenly suffer from mental problems that weren't there before they started on the bottle.

Not saying Gazza didn't have problems, but whatever he may have suffered from was increased with the drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've seen many normal people, fall for the drink, and then suddenly suffer from mental problems that weren't there before they started on the bottle.

Not saying Gazza didn't have problems, but whatever he may have suffered from was increased with the drinking.

And may not be reversable, either way we are not mental health professionals.

Boggles wrote: »
    And may not be reversable, either way we are not mental health professionals.

True.
    We're both just mental!;)

eagle eye wrote: »
    We are all aware of the high and low points in his life as everything about Gazza has been in the media at some point.

So whats your reason for posting that stuff?
    Is it to have to try and instigate an argument?
    Is it because of some deep rooted issues of your own?

Just seen this now..Two words for ya. Your Ma :)

Getting back on-topic, it looks like a sick Internet joke has gotten out of hand. Various football forums and his wiki have been saying that Gazza was found dead in Glasgow this afternoon....It's surely not true yeah?

He most likely spread that rumour himself :pac:.

Getting back on-topic, it looks like a sick Internet joke has gotten out of hand. Various football forums and his wiki have been saying that Gazza was found dead in Glasgow this afternoon....It's surely not true yeah?

I hope not, but I have been reading that thread on F365.

I hope not, but I have been reading that thread on F365.

Found it on a Man City forum myself (don't ask!)

Btw, congrats on your (less-than optimistic it has to be said) 3,000 post :o

Found it on a Man City forum myself (don't ask!)

Btw, congrats on your (less-than optimistic it has to be said) 3,000 post :o

Thanks, didn't even realise that. Peeved I didn't put it to good use. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Someone just brought this up on "You're on Sky Sports" who say it is not true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement