Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol clubs close to Carlow?

Options
  • 22-09-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any clubs close to Carlow/Wicklow. I would be interested in joining one with the prospects of purching my own pistol when the time comes. I have no problems traveling, but within reason. South Dublin is also a posibility. Any information is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wicklow has the largest number of clubs in the country on a per-county basis (probably because it also has the highest number of shooters on a per-county basis). RRPC would be good, as would a few others. I can't think of any near carlow, but WTSC is very close to Navan if Air Pistols are what you're thinking of. If you're only just starting and looking to fullbore though, I'd actually advise against starting with fullbore, and picking either smallbore or air, learning to shoot that way, and then moving on to fullbore. It'll be easier to learn that way, as well as easier to get your first licence and get established in the eyes of the local gardai and it'll be a lot cheaper to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Harbour house shooting club is in Nurney, Athy they cater for shotgun rifle and pistol take a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57191054#post57191054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would go fullbore. I really wound't be bothered with air. I have a license already for the past 5 years or that. Athy would be perfect, then again wicklow is also good. Thanks for the information. Where is the RRPC based exactly? Any links or such?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I would go fullbore. I really wound't be bothered with air. I have a license already for the past 5 years or that. Athy would be perfect, then again wicklow is also good. Thanks for the information. Where is the RRPC based exactly? Any links or such?

No fullbore I'm afraid. Air and .22 only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would settle for a .22 to start off, I was on the rathdrum site there a while ago so I found out some info on it, thanks.

What ranges would facilitate for 9mm so?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not sure who'd do that, but to be honest I really wouldn't recommend it even if you found a place. Go to RRPC, use the club .22 and learn that way; it'll be cheaper, easier and you'll learn better technique. If you start off in fullbore, the recoil and the cost of the ammo will be extra obstacles to overcome, and you might as well not deal with all of the obstacles at once, y'know?

Advertisement