Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

plaque may be my downfall!

• 22-09-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hey,

The applications office sent me out the notes for candidates. It says that you can fail the medical on dental caries. Are they for real?! Or does it just mean you have to have everything fixed up...? My female love for chocolate might make me come a cropper!!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Think you just have to get it sorted out before they pass you on this stage. I got deferred for teeth but just have to get stuff done (very soon now) and then I should be back in business. Should get it sorted before you get too far in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Thanks, I'm in the process of sorting it out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Mark63 wrote: »
    Think you just have to get it sorted out before they pass you on this stage. I got deferred for teeth but just have to get stuff done (very soon now) and then I should be back in business. Should get it sorted before you get too far in the process.
    Can I ask what was the problem with your teeth? I know personal question but I thought that unless your teeth were falling out they would pass you.

I just need a couple of fillings, nothing major. I just didn't realise that is all cavities are filled they aren't regarded as caries!:rolleyes: People on this forum are very patient with me altogether!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

That's mad, I didn't realise our Garda recruitment's required glowing gnashers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

I'd say they just dont want to have new recruits taking time off to go to the dentist tbh.

Or waiting until they're covered by the Garda Health scheme to get a s***load of dental work done! Money, money, money...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

i-digress wrote: »
    Or waiting until they're covered by the Garda Health scheme to get a s***load of dental work done! Money, money, money...:D

When does the Garda health scheme kick in?? Is it the start / during phase 1 or after your attested or when??:confused:

the medical aid starts in Phase 1 and there is no waiting time period. In fact I think that anyone else you put on the plan is in the same boat but could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Can you not wait until phase 2 or 4 and join it then?

• Advertisement

Why would you want to. Health insurance is very important but I suppose if you wanted to take the risk there should be no problem in you joining before Phase 2 but I would ask first. Here is the phone number 01 8991604 and the web site is http://www.medicalaid.ie/Default.aspx

I were you I definitely would NOT wait till Phase 4 to join cos you are may still be subject to injuries on the job while in Phase 2. In fact you could also be injured in Phase 1 when doing self defense. I did hear of one person breaking a bone in her neck from one class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Can you not wait until phase 2 or 4 and join it then?

From the Nog's link

1.2 Waiting Periods

• A waiting period from the date of first subscription during which no benefit will be payable will apply to all new entrants to the Society who are not currently insured elsewhere, as follows: Age on JoiningWaiting PeriodUnder 55 26 WeeksOver 55 52 WeeksThe only exception to this provision is Student Gardai and their dependents providing they join on commencement of training in Templemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of saving more money for petrol for going home at weekends during phase 1 from the little bit of the allowence i will have left.

cmcskeane wrote: »
    Thanks. I was thinking more along the lines of saving more money for petrol for going home at weekends during phase 1 from the little bit of the allowence i will have left.

if ye cut out the crap that I mentioned in another thread here below

Unfortunatley the pay is still geared towards the belief that all recruits/students are young and living at home. There is no consideration for the older canditates with mortgages. The pay is around the €200 a week but take tax, medical aid, savings etc. If you are on a tight budget don't sign up for GRA, IPA, Benevolent Fund, Travel Club and definitely don't sign up for the AVG pension.

you will be grand. You could also carpool with other students living near you to save on fuel costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

TheNog wrote: »
    Can I ask what was the problem with your teeth? I know personal question but I thought that unless your teeth were falling out they would pass you.

Probably avoided the dentist for too long! I have an impacted molar which I'm getting out (op needed instaed of just dentist) and 2 others at the back. Not the end of the world. Got 2 fillings as well. At the medical they said it wasn't a problem as such just needed to get it done before I got to PCT. So reckon as was said above they just don't want you taking time off when you get down there. I put it down on the form as I had renewed contact with the dentist and said I was getting it done - didn't want to risk not putting it down but obviously drew attention to it. They're definitely not falling out!!

Advertisement