Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish curriculum

Options
  • 22-09-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi guys,
    Is leaving cert irish similar to leaving cert Irish, in that the poems, short stories and play/film change each year?

I say this as I plan to repeat LC Irish in a couple of years time, probably '10/11, and I initially took the honours Irish LC in 2006.

Will my old notes, poems, plays, short stories films etc. be of use to me then, or will the curriculum have changed by that stage?

Basically will the sylabus remain as this: http://www.skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=3165 until then?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Prescribed Material for Irish in the Leaving Certificate Examination in 2010
    1. The Department of Education and Science wishes to inform the management authorities of second-level schools that the arrangements for Irish (both syllabus and designated subjects) for the Leaving Certificate examination (Ordinary and Higher Levels) in 2010 will be as they were for the Leaving Certificate examination (Ordinary and Higher Levels) in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 as outlined in Circular Letters M4/04 and M63/04 respectively (copies herewith).

Seems like it'll be the same for 2010 anyway. That's from a letter sent to schools in 2008 (available on education.ie), so I guess you won't know if it'll be the same for 2011 'til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Seems like it'll be the same for 2010 anyway. That's from a letter sent to schools in 2008 (available on education.ie), so I guess you won't know if it'll be the same for 2011 'til next year.

I think theres the big change in the oral coming then.

Ya know like, 50% for it, so its more than likely that there'll be less presicribed material.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hi guys,
    Is leaving cert irish similar to leaving cert Irish, in that the poems, short stories and play/film change each year?

Thanks

Yes Leaving Cert irish is similar to leaving cert irish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 creative212

Sorriesness ablou my grammar.

I hope everyone knew what I meant?

Will the Leaving Cert Irish higher paper in 2010 be the same as in 2006, ie. does that letter mean that the marking scheme cant change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Can't guarantee that the prescribed texts will be the same in 2011. The present ones have been on the go since 05 I think. Present first years will be sitting a L.C where the oral will be worth 40%, so by the time they get through, the structure of the course will have changed.

If I were you, I would try to repeat asap, while the course is still familiar to you and your Irish is still in your head. If it's primary teaching that you're eventually aiming for, 3 years (plus duration of the course) is a long time to predict employment opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kellyt25

I heard that the curricullum is going to change in 2010 thats why i decided to repeat it next year! i did pass irish in the leaving last year so the poems and stories will still be the same..if its possible for u to do it next year i would!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

This is the last year that the current syllabus will be examined.
    The '10 exams will have new prescribed pieces, the oral will then be worth 40% of the total exam & so the rest of the papers will have their marks restructured also.

I believe 5th year students this year are already learning a new curriculum, or atleast they should be!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I remember the Department saying they're looking into changing the course after the Cathal O Searcaigh incident last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

Does anyone know the layout for the Irish Honours course LC for 2010? I need to find out for a friend. I've heard the oral is to take more importance, which surely means the rest of the learning work is cut down? Be appreciative of any help or advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I do believe that the Irish oral change will not occur until 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

It's probably the easiest course in the Leaving Cert. Seriously. If your good at writing essays and good at speaking Irish then your sorted. For essays just learn a few handy sentences that you can use for any essay(do not learn off entire essays) and for oral Irish the best preperation is undoubtedly a trip to the gaeltacht. It improves your Irish so much its unreal.

If your good at the oral then you'll be good at the listening comprehension. The reading comprehensions are easy. All you need to be able to do is figure out the key words. No learning required at all.
    Between those 4 things that makes up about 70% of the paper.

So you basicly need to learn nothing at all for 70% of the paper.

But when people think of leaving cert Irish they always focus on the other 30% of the paper. The play, the stories, the poems and the history of irish.
    The stories are surprisingly easy to remember, no need to do much study for them. the play is fine aswell. Easy enough to remember and your teacher will go over it just before the exam. The poems and the history of irish do require learning but there's no need to stress about them. They are worth very little. I didn't bother learning any poems at all for my L.C. The poems are written on the exam paper for you so if you have a decent command of Irish you'll be able to pick up a good few of the marks just through sheer bluffing. History of Irish I didn't do much for at all. I had a reasonable idea for a few of the topics and I just wrote them out.

It's genuinely a straight forward paper. Very little study required for it. It's simple to get a B in it but if you want an A it would require more work as you would need to know the poems and history of Irish very well. I didn't put in the work required for an A, I don't know if you will or not. But it is genuinely very simple to get a B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

JW91 wrote: »
    It's probably the easiest course in the Leaving Cert. Seriously. If your good at writing essays and good at speaking Irish then your sorted. For essays just learn a few handy sentences that you can use for any essay(do not learn off entire essays) and for oral Irish the best preperation is undoubtedly a trip to the gaeltacht. It improves your Irish so much its unreal.

If your good at the oral then you'll be good at the listening comprehension. The reading comprehensions are easy. All you need to be able to do is figure out the key words. No learning required at all.
    Between those 4 things that makes up about 70% of the paper.

So you basicly need to learn nothing at all for 70% of the paper.

But when people think of leaving cert Irish they always focus on the other 30% of the paper. The play, the stories, the poems and the history of irish.
    The stories are surprisingly easy to remember, no need to do much study for them. the play is fine aswell. Easy enough to remember and your teacher will go over it just before the exam. The poems and the history of irish do require learning but there's no need to stress about them. They are worth very little. I didn't bother learning any poems at all for my L.C. The poems are written on the exam paper for you so if you have a decent command of Irish you'll be able to pick up a good few of the marks just through sheer bluffing. History of Irish I didn't do much for at all. I had a reasonable idea for a few of the topics and I just wrote them out.

It's genuinely a straight forward paper. Very little study required for it. It's simple to get a B in it but if you want an A it would require more work as you would need to know the poems and history of Irish very well. I didn't put in the work required for an A, I don't know if you will or not. But it is genuinely very simple to get a B

Im presuming that your golden rule for stair na gaeilge is not to learn it off as its cheating.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Im presuming that your golden rule for stair na gaeilge is not to learn it off as its cheating.:rolleyes:

Exactly! Ah no I'm only joking. I didn't learn it off at all. But I didn't learn it because I couldn't be bothered with it, not because I consider it cheating.

You have to learn off things like stair na gaeilge. That's not cheating. Because you need to learn the facts to get the marks

What is cheating is if you learn off someone else's essay off by heart and then re-produce it on the day. That is because the essay is supposed to be composed on the day. The stair na gaeilge you're supposed to learn it and then write it out on the day.

Simple enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sorriesness ablou my grammar.

I hope everyone knew what I meant?

Will the Leaving Cert Irish higher paper in 2010 be the same as in 2006, ie. does that letter mean that the marking scheme cant change?

I don't think it'll be exactly the same no. :D

AFAIK the syllabus for Irish hasn't changed in ages. There'll still be the same format I reckon.

Paper 1 - Reading Comprehensions, choice of a letter or a conversation and something else I think. An essay I think.

Paper 2 - Prescribed texts, poems.

It's an easy paper really. There should be no surprises. Same format every year.

From what I've read it doesn't seem like Irish is going to change anytime soon. Well the syllabus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bella10

does anyone know what the story is with the irish 2011 syllabus, is it changing because of the whole o'searcaigh controvercy or is it staying as it is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The Irish is due to change in 2011 according to the inservice sheet I have in front of me but I suspect 2012 could be the reality. As for the texts, they are due to change 2012 but keep up your Irish and it should not effect you that much as it's only the texts.

And just found this...http://www.gotocollege.ie/newsfeed/Leaving_Cert_changes_Oral_to_be_worth_40_in_Irish.html

Advertisement