Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Firebird Burner

Options
  • 22-09-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding this problem.

Back in July I got the Oil Tank filled up so as to be sorted for the upcoming winter. I purchased the oil (28 Sec Kerosene) from the same company that I have used since moving into the new house 2 years ago. During August I switched on the heating for the first time since last used at the beginning of the year and this is when I noticed the problem.

The Burner which is a Firebird HeatPac 50-70 Oil Boiler started to emit a dark smoke with a burning odour and has continued to do so after being ran on and off for approx 6 hrs. The vent where normally a clear fairly odourless smoke comes out is now covered in a dark soot like substance.

I rang the oil company to report the problem and they took a sample away but earlier today they phoned back to say the the sample was fine. This was no surprise given that the chap would have taken the sample from the top of the tank and the oil currently going thru the burner is at the bottom.

I can only guess that some diesel or dirt has got into the system and that is causing the problem. The only option I can think of next is to get the system serviced.

Its an annoyance as we are only in the house 2 years and didn't expect to have an issue with the home heating system. I would imagine that the tank will need to be bled so as to ensure that the oil at the very bottom is clean.How much does a service typically cost and most importantly will it solve the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

A service should definitely solve the issue and should cost between 80 and 120 euro. if you havn't used the boiler for a month or so it could be that the nozzle has become dirty and is not spraying the fuel out properly which allows the fuel top be burnt improperly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You should never run the boiler if there is smoke. You have sooted up the whole thing. Only a complete service will sort it out now. There is probably nothing wrong with the oil. Are you sure that you did not run out of oil and turned the wrong screw when you tried to bleed the system ? It could be a dirty nozzle, but it also sounds as if the oil pressure adjuster has been screwed right in. You should have the boiler serviced every year.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

JamesM wrote: »
    You should never run the boiler if there is smoke. You have sooted up the whole thing. Only a complete service will sort it out now. There is probably nothing wrong with the oil. Are you sure that you did not run out of oil and turned the wrong screw when you tried to bleed the system ? It could be a dirty nozzle, but it also sounds as if the oil pressure adjuster has been screwed right in. You should have the boiler serviced every year.
    Jim.

The tank was not empty since its last use at the early part of year. I reckon there was around 100 litres in the tank prior to the fill up this summer. I have'nt tried to bleed the system and no-one has gone near the oil pressure adjuster. The next step is getting a service carried out but I'm surprised that this is happening given that we are only in the house 2 years and the system would have limited use.

The only reason we ran the boiler was to try and clear the issue by getting rid of the dirt / contaminant. This was based of advice from a chap that has seen similar issues in the past.

Thanks for input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Sorry if I sounded a bit blunt, but I have seen so many cases where people have messed around with the settings.
    Something has messed up the flame and you need a good efficient service engineer because the boiler will need to be really well cleaned out - it's amazing how much soot can build up in a few hours of smokey running. I hope that you get it sorted soon.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Well, Finally got the issue resolved. It turns out that their was a leak in the system that was causing the issue. A chap came over that gave in a full service as well as fixing the leak. He also added a cleaning chemical solution that ran through the burner to clear any built up soot / ash.

It cost me €110 but at least I've got my heating back :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement