Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Underdog Show

Options
  • 22-09-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

I watched this on TV (Living2 Channel) for the first and last time last night. Basically it's another celeb vote in TV gameshow. "Celebs" went to the Animal Trust in the UK, picked a dog to train and then go on the show and get voted by a judging panel and studio audience on their progress.

I felt the show was a mockery to dogs especially those who are in the animal trust. The loser "Celeb", and I use the phrase lightly as I do not have a clue who she is, who was voted off last night spent time trying to train a dog who she chose from a load of rescued dogs and then said she was putting him back as she has two dogs at home. I could not believe her. How can you take a dog out of a rescue centre, give it a sense of the outside world and just put it back. I was stunned, the dog was just an amusement piece. Is this not mentally cruel on the animal?

Also, part of the course is to do an obstacle course and have the dog dance at the end. No matter what competitions they have on TV a dog is not for dancing. A dog has more fundamental purposes in life than been trained to dance i.e Companionship, Home Security, Hunting etc - not dancing! If it was shown in a circus it would be seen as cruelty to some but as it is on TV the cruelty aspect seems to be overlooked.

I think it's great in one way that the Animal Trust who take in 16,000 dogs a year is getting so much exposure. However I believe this show is a ridicule to dogs and there are more humane ways of getting exposure for animal welfare. Tune in if ye can, Living2 9pm and let me know what the general opinion is on this programme as part of me is thinking I'm over-reacting. I however, will not be watching it again tonight!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

It was eagerly awaited in this house and the general consensus is that it's pure poo!
    .... And I'd watch anything!

Advertisement