Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I watched it there on tv3.ie. It was a better episode than the first.

Cullen does seem to really like that Mark fella - it's almost as if he knows him.

The women are coming across as fairly horrid, and the lads a bit thick.

The show should focus more on their personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Mark my words. A girl will not win this competition.

Jackie will not have a young woman working closely with Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

AARRRGH wrote: »
    The women are coming across as fairly horrid, and the lads a bit thick.
    The women are horrid? Doesnt seem like that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i remember facebreaker got 3/10 in the edge magazine, ouch.

panda100 wrote: »
    The women are horrid? Doesnt seem like that to me.

I have a dislike of women who think being a hard ass is the same as being competent.

You know the types... power suits, etc.

Just my first impression, I am open to correction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

So far all of the contestants seem to be, well, crap. But it's hard to judge them fairly when we don't get to see them doing anything, there's way too much time is spent in the boardroom going over the same points. I agree with other posters about the name dropping, it's so blatant. Overall it's a bit dull, but it's only a matter of time before the girls bitchiness comes out, that should be entertaining.

I love the receptionist :D could they not hire an actress who could actually act? It's hardly the most challenging role.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I was part of this week's - during the girls Spore launch. The bit about Adidas was a big issue with EA and there was no payment from Adidas for the placement etc.

A lot goes on that you don't see and in the end decisions are made over really stupid things. I know the girls launch wasn't without it's issues and if the guys had managed to get people in stay in their event by showing them the game and maybe had a more interactive experience, they would have won regardless of the Adidias issue.

I think Spore was a hard sell to the general public and both teams might have been better off trying to get real gamers to attend either through here or many of the irish gaming sites.

Having Miss Ireland at a Spore launch was a joke and she spent more time drinking and chatting to her mates then she did anywhere close to the game

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IMO the task was far too easy. They got all of the EA packs from EA, and they where given the games consols.

Part of the task should have been how well do you know the company your about to market for and what kind of market are they looking for.

I was at the spore launch also and there was very few people at it.

To be honest the girls had a better venue as far a crowd was concerned which lead to them winning the task. Again the venue was provided to both teams rather then them trying to get a venue.

So both teams got: -

1000 euro, Computers, Marketing Material and a venue even before they had organise anything.

Did the girls explain where they got the free sol promotion? or did they get that from EA as well.

Are the applying to be an apprentice confrence host/hostess?????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The drinks promo was handed to them as well.

When you think about it all they had to do was dress the venue - both did a poor job, invite quests - girls did a better job but for me the audience was wrong, and demo the game - girls did much better here as the boys did hardly nothing.

All in all a group of 6th Year students would have pulled it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have a dislike of women who think being a hard ass is the same as being competent.

Unfotunatly women sometimes have to act like corporate bullys in Chanel suits to get somewhere in the cutthroat world of buisness.

Saying that I found all of the women In Irish apprentice to be polite,friendly young women who get things down.They worked brilliantly as a team together so for once we dont get that worn sterotype that all women are bitches to each other. But I would be very very suprised If any of them won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Watched this again on Friday night, HILARIOUS.

Cullen is clueless and thats a fact :D

As culpable as he is the production team has to take a huge dollop of the blame for this shoddy production.

The show is trimmed down to accomadate 3 breaks as it is which is bad enough but in their wisdom after half an hour of the show they decide to head off for the meeting room,er I mean "boardroom".

- We dont get to see the contestants do anything in particular
    - No idea of who is really doing what
    - Waaay too much time focusing on their crude product placements

Has anybody noticed how Orla says nothing does nothing and every time the camera shows her shes just pouting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it seems very short yes.

The show is trimmed down to accomadate 3 breaks as it is which is bad enough but in their wisdom after half an hour of the show they decide to head off for the meeting room,er I mean "boardroom".

How many ad breaks in the original US version????

Far too much time spent in the boardroom IMO.

However I liked the fact that the guys started having an argument in the waiting area. I don't think that happens in either the US or UK versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Missed the 2nd episode last Monday but managed to catch the repeat, I really really love The Apprentice UK version, but have to say this one is not really doing it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Elmo wrote: »
    No it is his place in swords unless they are cutting to his place in swords and renting out studio space for the firing.

Doesn't make much sense, it would have been better to film the IFSC and pretend that the firing takes place there.

Pretty sure that is what they're doing. Called the Glandore Business centre I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday - it seems TV3 are in hot water with the Broadcasting Commision of Ireland - they are investigating the possibility that TV3 received payment in return for product placements in this series, which is against the broadcasting regulations.

It seems businesses were emailed by TV3's marketing vendors offering a place on the show for €5,000 in return for allowing the business provide the prize at the end of the episode and get a clear mention from Bill Cullen and get some airtime for their prize/product. The restaurant the winners of the first task went to said they were delighted with the advertising as they saw a noticeable increase in custom in the following weeks.

It's what we all suspected, but if it is proved I hope TV3 get strongly penalised for it as allowing this would set a slippery slope whereby RTE could also allow payments for products that are placed in a manner that is deemed to naturally tie in with the storyline (e.g. a character ordering a Guinness in Fair City would be natural, but Diageo would then be able to pay to ensure it happens). I for one don't want to be paying a TV license only for advertising to be blended into the actual show - we get see enough ads at the breaks.

They could state that it was necessary. I think Shinwhil should contact the BCI rather then TV3.

EA must be so annoied that Addidas got a free add.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can we change the title of the thread to The Advertisement (IRL)?
    Think it would be more apt.

That aside, Ricky Gervais will be onto to his lawyers if he sees this show. It's worse/better than the Office for the cringe factor. And the production is terrible, but I'll still keep on watching it, maybe because I'm a fan of the US and UK version and now that we have an Irish one I just feel compelled to watch it.

What was the deal with them changing the details of the prize this week? This week they said it was a "Six figure Salary" but I thought they said on the first show it was a "Deal worth 100K" (which of course means 50K Salary, a Renault car, a company Laptop & Mobile phone and a sh1t load of lunch vouchers for the company canteen.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    All in all a group of 6th Year students would have pulled it off.
    That’s the thing, every time I look at the lads team it just looks like they are a group of 6th Year students. Really really unprofessional and constantly running around like headless chickens.

However I liked the fact that the guys started having an argument in the waiting area. I don't think that happens in either the US or UK versions.
    But they then ruined it by having a gay love in before they went into the Boardroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I wish we had more people like that so. I can't stand the way people feel the need to get rid of their Dublin accent once they start working in sales or type of office work. If anything my Dublin accent helps me get on better with people over the phone in work and if anyone had a problem with my accent they're nothing but snobs.

I agree with you there EireBhoy I think we should be pround of our accents. If you don't where your from how do you know where you are going?
    I suspect that Bill Cullen is as rich as Alan Sugar anyway.

I agree with you there EireBhoy I think we should be pround of our accents. If you don't where your from how do you know where you are going?
    And if you don't know what you're saying how is anybody else supposed to know what you're saying!
    I suspect that Bill Cullen is as rich as Alan Sugar anyway.
    LOL :D You're kidding, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

To be honest, given the state of Irish TV if that's what it takes to fund shows like this then go ahead and do it. Unless they start endorsing each product and telling people to go out and buy it then I'm willing to sit through a few plugs.

panda100 wrote: »
    Unfotunatly women sometimes have to act like corporate bullys in Chanel suits to get somewhere in the cutthroat world of buisness.

I disagree. :)

All the decent female managers I've worked with have relied upon intelligence, competence and a good work ethic.

The bullies/powertrippers have only acted that way as they're trying to disguise something, e.g. their insecurity or incompetence.

But this is a matter for humanties, so let's not get bogged down... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday - it seems TV3 are in hot water with the Broadcasting Commision of Ireland - they are investigating the possibility that TV3 received payment in return for product placements in this series, which is against the broadcasting regulations.

It seems businesses were emailed by TV3's marketing vendors offering a place on the show for €5,000 in return for allowing the business provide the prize at the end of the episode and get a clear mention from Bill Cullen and get some airtime for their prize/product. The restaurant the winners of the first task went to said they were delighted with the advertising as they saw a noticeable increase in custom in the following weeks.

It's what we all suspected, but if it is proved I hope TV3 get strongly penalised for it as allowing this would set a slippery slope whereby RTE could also allow payments for products that are placed in a manner that is deemed to naturally tie in with the storyline (e.g. a character ordering a Guinness in Fair City would be natural, but Diageo would then be able to pay to ensure it happens). I for one don't want to be paying a TV license only for advertising to be blended into the actual show - we get see enough ads at the breaks.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article4882703.ece

From the Times link
    MarketMatch, a marketing company, e-mailed public relations firms in July, the week before shooting for the TV3 series began, asking them to sponsor prizes at the end of each episode.

It said: “€5,000 includes the filming of the contestants using the prize, an introduction by the host Bill Cullen and a credit in the closing roller.”
    Do they not do this in the English one too? Obviously not as blatant as in the Irish one but I definitely remember at the end of each show the winning team one get a treat in somewhere like a fancy restaurant/hotel/shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    From the Times link

Do they not do this in the English one too? Obviously not as blatant as in the Irish one but I definitely remember at the end of each show the winning team one get a treat in somewhere like a fancy restaurant/hotel/shop.

On BBC? BBC can't take money.

Unless you buy one of their DVD, watch UKTV etc. !!!!

But you are right the BBC version does not have any product placement. However I believe they are in hot water for using some products such as Chrysler allot.
    And if you don't know what you're saying how is anybody else supposed to know what you're saying!

Depends on the accent and you can tone your accent down so people understand what you are saying, you don't have to change it.

Just look at the winner of the last UK apperentice :eek: Couldn't understand a word he said.

Jackz wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that but there was still an awful lot of product placement within the uk show.

Depends on the accent and you can tone your accent down so people understand what you are saying, you don't have to change it.

Just look at the winner of the last UK apperentice :eek: Couldn't understand a word he said.
    I was being sarky in response to the typos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

lol, here we go again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Looks like they're hocking manure burgers this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That's the Grafton Barber, Electronic Arts, Adidas and Supermacs that have all been featured prominently in episodes now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement