Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice (IRL)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Does it get on anyone elses nerves when the boardroom starts and bill explains exactly what the task was really slowly? As if noone was watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Hi all,

First time poster long time visitor.
    I have been reading the comments here today about last night's episode with Joanna getting caught out.

What I found a little strange though was the way it all came to a head.
    I wondered why Bill didn't say anything about the cheating for the benefit of the task - rather than asking "Who's Ray Murphy?", and Rounding the troops...
    Surely he would have taken the opportunity to lay it out for all to see that he caught her out cheating on the TASK, and not breaking the rules from contacting her husband.

I heard somewhere during the week that she was caught breaking the rules for contacting her husband and meeting the children. That to me would make sense with what Bill was saying in the boardroom "Rounding up the troops" meaning the kids. She snuck out to meet the hubby and children and was caught as she used the mobile phone to send an email and the emails were monitored - or she was spotted by a house mate.

This then got me thinking perhaps the whole thing was staged - and it was set up to look like she was cheating to win the task.

My reasons for thinking this was a setup:

1. I believed that when they get fired, they get their bag and coat and then leave the building. But Joanna was wearing long cream trousers when she was going into the boardroom (check out replay at 23:12 secs on the Apprentice on TV3 website).
    2312.JPG

Why would she change her clothes if she was all packed and ready to leave? You can see as she is walking out (42:21) she is in a skirt and red high heeled shoes - totally different to what she had on.

skirt.JPG

2. The email that she sent was addressed to "Brian Murphy". I thought it strange to send an email to her husband, clearly written for him, addressed to someone else. - Need to make an edit here, I notice it was sent to "rmurphy, brian" so that's two people that got that email, rmurphy was the hubby no doubt.

email.JPG

Also, didn't they all use Motorola phones?? This is a Nokia.

3. Finally this was what got me thinking it was scripted. Her interview in the taxi. She looked like how a child would look when lying - over emphasising what they did to try to convince us that they are telling the truth. It just looked scripted to me.

Anyway that's the impression I got from last night's episode.

Why would Joanna agree to go along with this scipted plan? Perhaps a pay off in a bid to help boost ratings, some advertising deals, I dunno.

Also, the whole number plate changing thing - I find that hard to believe that her "troops" would be so loyal that they would risk getting caught law breaking with forged number plates... I know I wouldnt do it and by the sounds of things she had a number of people doing this for her. Looks too suspect in my eyes.

Anyone have any similar thoughts?

Cheers,

Kev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She obviously did not have the sense to use a computer not connected with the show. I wonder will she still be employed after her employer sees her dishonesty?

The changing clothes thing is very easy to explain. The exit shots are filmed at the start of the competition. Bill's boardroom is not in that academy place at all. It is in a tv studio. Did you notice she was back wearing the same clothes as in the boardroom in the taxi?
    They do the exact same in the UK version.

I do think the whole thing was staged, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    She obviously did not have the sense to use a computer not connected with the show. I wonder will she still be employed after her employer sees her dishonesty?

Sure, didn't she convince her boss to take part in the whole thing?! - her old boss that is... and I think from listening to Ireland AM she is still working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I really couldn't understand why so many people were ringing in/texting the radio shows this morning saying how good Joanna was. She cheated in the task and still managed to lose (according to Bill anyway).
    It's funny how she bent the rules to essentially rob stuff already donated for recycling yet then ranted at Bill in the boardroom regarding "health and safety" with the team picking up items themselves. This, in my opinion, showed her limitations - she was so hell bent on cheating that she didn't even consider the possibility of having a pick-up service. This was why she lost her temper with him - no ability to take criticism and she knew she'd missed a golden opportunity. "Better lash out at the boss and try to cover up my own mistake"
    The fact that she couldn't even see this demonstrates her massively limited skills in, as she put it, "thinking outside the box".
    She's a sales director os a supply company - what does the company supply? What is its turnover? How many people are employed? Is the company a hiace van that delivers notepads to Easons? Again, she had a massive sense of her own self importance and scant regard for her colleagues.
    I certainly would have no intention whatsoever to hire someone who was hell bent on humiliating her colleagues, felt it was ok to cheat, lie and then would give backchat to their boss criticizing his opinion regarding looking at alternative solutions. What an idiot - back to your dead end job Joanna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Fukcin hell Kev. That's some good detective work fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

Cringer wrote: »
    2. The email that she sent was addressed to "Brian Murphy". I thought it strange to send an email to her husband, clearly written for him, addressed to someone else.

Great detective work there! That email was sent to two people though... rmurphy being her husband, Ray Murphy, and 'Brian' being her boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

2. The email that she sent was addressed to "Brian Murphy". I thought it strange to send an email to her husband, clearly written for him, addressed to someone else.

email.JPG

It was sent to rmurphy and brian, theres a comma after rmurphy,reading the e-mail I thought it looked odd until I seen your screenshot of the recipients, shows it was sent to her husband and another guy.

Cheers Ian and Hot Fuss,

Made an edit there in the post. I guess that bit then adds up, if it were sent to rmurphy and Brian being her boss.

Does anyone know where that lobby area they sit in before they go into the boardroom is? Is it the Europa out in Swords? The secretary's office setup looks really half arsed, laptop never on (she didnt even have one at the start), so I guess it's temporary offices for the boardroom scene is it? Perhaps they hired a suite in the Europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ian Beale wrote: »
    It was sent to rmurphy and brian, theres a comma after rmurphy,reading the e-mail I thought it looked odd until I seen your screenshot of the recipients, shows it was sent to her husband and another guy.

Is that a blackberry or the like that was given to the contestants or was it her own personal device?
    Like, are the makers of the programme allowed to check the contestants email?

• Advertisement

Just another point that makes me think this was all staged - the jacket she was wearing in the taxi was the same as when she was walking out of the Europa - note the collars on the jacket.... well at least it looks the same :) suggesting this was all filmed seperately from the actual boardroom - but why?

car.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

2 faced of Bill to berate her for not breaking one set of rules (health and safety) and then sacking her for breaking other rules.

Is that a blackberry or the like that was given to the contestants or was it her own personal device?
    Like, are the makers of the programme allowed to check the contestants email?

I have heard them give reference to sending emails etc during the course of the tasks, but figured they were being sent from a PC due to file attachments etc that may need to be opened for approval, scanned and signed etc.

I wouldnt have thought they'd be allowed go through their personal belongings, just like in Big Brother, a phone was snuck in and they were caught but dont ever recall them reading their messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just another point that makes me think this was all staged - the jacket she was wearing in the taxi was the same as when she was walking out of the Europa - note the collars on the jacket.... well at least it looks the same :) suggesting this was all filmed seperately from the actual boardroom - but why?

car.JPG

That's still not proof really, she could easily have the clothes she was wearing in the office on under the coat. If you could see she was wearing a skirt in the car that would be a different matter altogether.

That's still not proof really, she could easily have the clothes she was wearing in the office on under the coat. If you could see she was wearing a skirt in the car that would be a different matter altogether.

True. But it does run in consistancy with the scene of her leaving the Europa with that jacket on. however, if the exit scenes were all done at the start of the Apprentice then this would make this observation weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

True. But it does run in consistancy with the scene of her leaving the Europa with that jacket on. however, if the exit scenes were all done at the start of the Apprentice then this would make this observation weaker.

Yeah but what're the chances she brought more than one coat with her? Unlikely I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

The inside collar that's just about visible is a similar colour to the suit sh wore in the boardroom.
    I heard somewhere before the leaving shots were all recorded at the start so they could try and keep a lid on the final winner. Makes sense I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Its too weird that he waited until the very end to say "Who's Ray Murphy?"

If they won the task, would she not of being fired?? Or if they did win the task but Bill decides to lie and say they lost...whats the point of that?

Surely he shoulda just said that it was a no contest from the start and declare them losers for cheating and booted lady liathroidi out on her ugly mug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jackdlad

Also, didn't they all use Motorola phones?? This is a Nokia.

No all contestants used Nokia Phones, the E66 AND E71

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

If they had won, he would have probably have reversed the win for them because she cheated. Why wouldn't he have!!! She broke the rules.It would still have made great TV.

That said, I would have liked to have seen him announce it in front of both teams but I suppose the way he did it was to catch her totally off-guard. He waited till the final moment then BANG!!! Worked for me, that look and the twitchy eye was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

syco joanne she has made dogs dinner of it
    and raymo will know about it soon enough
    would anyone in there right minds have anything to do with them in business again,
    the ones i feel sorry for are the ones she shafted in other weeks because i am sure she cheated in them as well,
    its a pity they dont show more of the canidates in the house
    also she bad example to ladies in business ,shes the type that
    would be giving bjs to win a competition

also looks bad again the irish with the first canidate caught cheating .
    comparing to sugar and trumps gang we have very poor selection really no one there worth 100 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This one has been flogged to death folks. The continuity problems you are highlighting are due to the boardroom scenes being filmed seperately from the actual exit where they get a free ride to the nearest bus stop in the renault.

The prizes the contestants are winning are hilarious ! Have any of the teams won anything actually worth winning:confused:A spin around malahide estuary on a boat, farting around in jeeps and tanks in kildare and the piéce de la resistance last night, they were given a golfing lesson in Roganstown by some PGA pro that nobody has ever heard of, to make matters worse they were living in bloody Roganstown so they had to walk all of 5 mins out to the course. Ridiculous. I'm beginning to think now that the contestants want to lose the tasks just to avoid the "prizes" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dennistuam wrote: »
    also looks bad again the irish with the first canidate caught cheating
    True. People will think all Irish people cheat now - especially the English... :eek:

(If they actually become aware of it at all...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would say that there have been American and British cheats since this show started in the US all those years ago.

I am surprise at how many people thought it was a good episode. I though it was below average, the only good thing being the cheater being caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I liked the episode last night. The best part was Joanna going, and laughing about it in the car. I hated her up until that point. Once she started laughing at herself, I started liking her a bit more.

At least none of the spoilers actually gave away the extent of her cheating, that's surely good info management ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

When she was laughing in the back of the car, I couldnt believe we were actually only getting to see the real side to her at that stage. She really was putting on a show for the whole thing. Like I said before, she frightens me and I WOULD NOT HIRE HER!!!

Her interview on Morning AM frightened me too, its like theres a switch!!! I'm staying away from Naas!!!

So, I have my money on Stuart or Sarah to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Thanks iregk!!!!!

Sure ya might as well tell us all the people who aren't in the final, seeing ya don't mind spoiling it for everyone else!! :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

iregk banned for 2 months for thread spoiling.

Let this be a lesson to any TV3 staffers/hangers on hanging around here. If you know anything about future weeks, keep it to your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Bond-007 wrote: »

The changing clothes thing is very easy to explain. The exit shots are filmed at the start of the competition. Bill's boardroom is not in that academy place at all. It is in a tv studio. Did you notice she was back wearing the same clothes as in the boardroom in the taxi?
    They do the exact same in the UK version.

I do think the whole thing was staged, it just doesn't seem right to me.

her employer was involved in her dishonesty. the show said that her boss was involved.

Personally thos e involved should face criminal charges. driving around in cars with fake reg plates, pilfering from a neighbouring recycling site and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

She was unreal. Then at the very end she is actually laughing & boasting about cheating instead of feeling ashamed. Even with her cheating, she still lost the challenge.

She really should be ashamed herself but I doubt she is.

I mean there's ambition & then there's just completely ruthless.
    Personally, i wouldnt want to be in business with her because she would go to any lengths to get what she wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement