Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Middlesbrough Carling Cup

• 22-09-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭

Has had a bit of talk about this game in the United thread, but thought i should start a new thread before I get banned! :D

Some United news anyway:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4181751,00.html
    Manchester United have confirmed that Manucho and Fabio Da Silva will not be making their first-team debuts because of injury.

Angola star Manucho, who gained his work-permit after a long legal battle in August, was pencilled in by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to make his bow against Middlesbrough in the Carling Cup on Tuesday.

However, the striker has been unable to overcome a foot injury and so will not feature alongside the highly-rated Danny Welbeck, who will be given his first-start in a United shirt.

Brazilian full-back Fabio is also out of contention, but his twin-brother Rafael, who has already featured as a substitute, will make his first start for the club against Boro.

"I'm disappointed that Manucho hasn't recovered completely from a metatarsal injury, this would have been a good opportunity to look at him and Welbeck in combination," Ferguson revealed.

"I also have it in mind to look to youngsters like Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Danny Welbeck and Rafael, though unfortunately not his twin brother Fabio. He has a shoulder injury and is having an operation."

Ferguson will be using the game with Boro to experiment with his squad.

"My team will involve changes," he told United Review.

"There will be a mix of youth and experience.

"It's important that I give players coming back from injury some pitch time. The likes of Owen Hargreaves, Ji-sung Park, Nani, Anderson and Cristiano Ronaldo all need games and they could be involved either in the starting line-up or on the bench."
    Was hoping to see Manucho, but no such luck - hopefully he'll get a run out in the reserves at least soon enough.

Will be intersting to see what team Fergie goes with, having mentioned the young players like Welbeck, Raf, Evans and Gibson, along with the senior players such as Ronnie, Nani and Hargreaves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Can't wait for this actually, we have some really really promising young players, Evans has showed his class last 2 games, theres Gibson, Possebon, Rafael, Welbeck all to play aswell hopefully.
    Nani and Anderson will start aswell I think.

Tommy K
    Rafeal--Evans-- Brown--O Shea
    Ronaldo--Gibson/Possebon--Anderson--Nani
    --Welbeck--Tevez

I can see something like that maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Foster injured, if not he could feature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm very disappointed we won't see Manucho :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    Is Foster injured, if not he could feature?

Yeah he's out for 5 or 6 weeks I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

is this game televised?

• Advertisement

Dont think so, not according to this anyway
    http://www.livesportontv.com/sportindex.php?id=1

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hope to see Possebon start, Welbeck too for that matter. Would love to see some of this. It'll be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Confusion over Manucho's participation tonight, Fergies says he is injured and Phelan says he is in the squad. :confused:

Manchester United have confirmed that Manucho and Fabio Da Silva will not be making their first-team debuts because of injury.

Angola star Manucho, who gained his work-permit after a long legal battle in August, was pencilled in by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to make his bow against Middlesbrough in the Carling Cup on Tuesday.

However, the striker has been unable to overcome a foot injury and so will not feature alongside the highly-rated Danny Welbeck, who will be given his first-start in a United shirt.

Brazilian full-back Fabio is also out of contention, but his twin-brother Rafael, who has already featured as a substitute, will make his first start for the club against Boro.

"I'm disappointed that Manucho hasn't recovered completely from a metatarsal injury, this would have been a good opportunity to look at him and Welbeck in combination," Ferguson revealed.

"I also have it in mind to look to youngsters like Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Danny Welbeck and Rafael, though unfortunately not his twin brother Fabio. He has a shoulder injury and is having an operation."

Ferguson will be using the game with Boro to experiment with his squad.

"My team will involve changes," he told United Review.

"There will be a mix of youth and experience.

"It's important that I give players coming back from injury some pitch time. The likes of Owen Hargreaves, Ji-sung Park, Nani, Anderson and Cristiano Ronaldo all need games and they could be involved either in the starting line-up or on the bench."

United assistant Mike Phelan later stated that Manucho was indeed in the squad to face Boro.

"Manucho is in a squad of 20," said Phelan.

"We shall get down to the nitty gritty tomorrow and pick a team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4181751,00.html

Its a pity Fabio is injured, assuming Manucho is or isnt fit, nobody seems to know, Id like to see:

Amos
    Rafael
    Brown
    Vidic
    O'Shea
    Ronaldo
    Possebon
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Manucho/Tevez
    Wellbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If Manucho is fit I'd start him ahead of Welbeck - I wouldn't go with a Manucho/Welbeck pairing up front, as it would be unfair to both players. Give them a chance with a proper strike partner and see how they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After the embarrasment against Coventry last season I expect Fergie will play a decent line up. Boro seem to like a bit of a cup run though so an "upset" could be on.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    After the embarrasment against Coventry last season I expect Fergie will play a decent line up. Boro seem to like a bit of a cup run though so an "upset" could be on.

Mike.

I agree - I think we'll see a bit of a mix - as fergie has alluded too. A few of the youngsters will get a game, but I expect to see a fairly strong 'second team' out, with possible Nani and Ronaldo getting games on the wings, maybe Brown and Evans in defence. I don't see it being an Arsenal like youth line-up for united.

Mike.

Agree completely, god damn game raising Boro!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I could care less if we get knocked out tonight. In saying that I hope Welbeck and Manucho do start together and the full reserve team starts ala Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

Bring on the big guns who need minutes for the last 30.

RasTa wrote: »
    I could care less if we get knocked out tonight. In saying that I hope Welbeck and Manucho do start together and the full reserve team starts ala Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

Bring on the big guns who need minutes for the last 30.

I want a win as I want a good cup run for the kids. Could care less about winning the Mickey Mouse Cup itself but I want a run of games for the young guys to get the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I want a win as I want a good cup run for the kids. Could care less about winning the Mickey Mouse Cup itself but I want a run of games for the young guys to get the experience.

Exactly this is the only competition where players like Wellbeck, Possebon, Gibson, and possible even Manucho are likely to get a full game at a decent level. I know its the Carling Cup but we haven't drawn a League one side, we have drawn a premiership side so it will be a good experience for them and the more of that they can get the better.

Amos
    Da Silva--Brown--Evans--O'Shea
    Possebon--Gibson
    -Nani
    Anderson
    Manucho---Wellbeck

If Manucho is not fit then bring in either Ronaldo or Hargreaves and move Nani and Anderson around as required.

I'm not too bothered about the CC, but the fact is that I hate to see United lose, whenever they play and whatever they play in. For that reason I can't stand the thought of us losing tonight... I really want to win it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Meh, I just wanna see the kids play as I've still not seen either da Silva, and not alot of Possebon or Gibson. Shame Manucho aint fit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I know its the Carling Cup but we haven't drawn a League one side, we have drawn a premiership side.

Of course we haven't drawn a league side. We never do in domestic comps :D
    I do want a run for the lads but won't be too disappointed if they lose to a full strength boro.

I think it will be something like this. Is Martin still at United btw?

Amos

Possebon--Gibson

-Nani
    Anderson
    Ronaldo

Wellbeck

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    I think it will be something like this. Is Martin still at United btw?

Amos

Possebon--Gibson

-Nani
    Anderson
    Ronaldo

Wellbeck
    Martin is on loan at Notts Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Martins on loan at Forest from United at the moment.

Anyone got a reliable stream for this tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I want the youngsters to play Boro. However Fergie will give the players who need game-time games, so I expect

The Pole
    --Da Silva--Brown--Evans--O'Shea-
    Hargreaves---Possebon----
    --Ronaldo----Anderson
    Nani--
    Welbeck

With Gibson and Park defo getting a run out.
    Fabio Da Silva is injuried, which is unfortunate, as he's been unreal for the reserves.

I'd be happy with that team. Only three players over 23 and imo good enough to beat Boro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is there highlights of this on any satellite channel at all? (cept for ManU tv)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was hoping to see Manucho, pity he's injured. I'd go for:

Tommy K
    Da Silva---Evans---Brown---O'Shea
    Hargo
    Gibson
    Anderson
    Nani
    Manucho---Welbeck

Tom65 wrote: »
    I was hoping to see Manucho, pity he's injured. I'd go for:

Tommy K
    Da Silva---Evans---Brown--O'Shea
    O'Shea
    Gibson
    Anderson
    Nani
    Manucho---Welbeck
    Having two O'Shea's!! Now that just wouldnt be fair on any other team, we are lucky to have the one! ;)

Id agree with PHB team although I would give Vidic a game along side Evans just in case (God forbid) Rio gets injured during the season. It could be benifical giving them some game time as a partnership.

Having two O'Shea's!! Now that just wouldnt be fair on any other team, we are lucky to have the one! ;)

Sh*te. I meant to change that...

"We all dream of a team of John O'Sheas"? Anyone?

Tom65 wrote: »
    Sh*te. I meant to change that...

"We all dream of a team of John O'Sheas"? Anyone?
    Well he has played in virtually every position on the field so why not! :)

Well he has played in virtually every position on the field so why not! :)

To be honest, I had 12 players in the team originally (Tevez playing behind the front two). I think Middlesbrough might have been slightly confused by the site of a 12 man team with two John O'Sheas.

This is what happens when you've one eye on boards and the other on an essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Mike.

Not with our away form. I'm expecting GS to field our strongest XI but we are without Mido and Tuncay and possibly Aliadiere and Adam Johnson.

If Alves is on penalty duty then we may just nick it ;)

Oh Johnny Johnny Johnny
    whats that in your right hand?
    Its the Premier League trophy
    We're the champions of the land

Oh Johnny Johnny Johnny
    whats that in the other I see?
    why its the European cup
    We're the best team there can be

Champions of England - Champions of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Looking forward to watching this, I think Ferguson will play a pretty strong team. Ronaldo and Nani should start, Maybe even Berbatov upfront with Tevez to see how they work as a partnership.

Would be nice to progress in the competition to give the reserve players a chance, will be a tough test thou as Boro will field a strong team whatever about there striking problems.

Either way a nice bonus for a boring Tuesday evening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just checking has anyone got a feed for the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just checking has anyone got a feed for the match?
    Not sure about quality or anything here.. http://www.justin.tv/fabiotv
    Just bookmark www.justintv.com thats where I always stream my matches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah it works showing high lights of the chelsea game at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

If this is on any channel somewhere in the world its likely to be on justin.tv

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Official Team
    Amos
    Silva
    Brown
    Vidic
    Nani
    Oshea
    Anderson
    Possembon
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Wellbeck

Manucho on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

bENCH Zieler ,Gray ,Eckersley, Gibson , Tevez, Manucho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cant believe this match isnt on sky sports

no bloody descent match on tonight

why is that

only swansea v cardiff :rolleyes:

Good team. Is it 8 o clock kick off? cos I have a stream goin here with commentary (in spanish) and its just showin alfonso alves' goals against us last year.

• Advertisement

Nice play down the left there, brutal cross for Sheasy though. we're lookin lively anyway. Pity this isnt on TV, both teams playin strong teams

cant believe this match isnt on sky sports

no bloody descent match on tonight

why is that

only swansea v cardiff :rolleyes:

Yeah, and the Manchester United Reserves vs Boro promises to be an absolute cracker.

At least Swansea Cardiff is a derby game that the fans might actually give a crap about.

The arrogance of some people ffs.

In fairness Des United have Vidic, Brown, O'Shea, giggs, Anderson, Nani and Ronaldo on, all of whom play regularly, and Possebon and Rafael who have made appearances this season. Not quite reserves. I;m not complaining, but its unfortunate cos itll be (and is so far) a good game to watch. nice and open.

Yeah, and the Manchester United Reserves vs Boro promises to be an absolute cracker.

At least Swansea Cardiff is a derby game that the fans might actually give a crap about.

The arrogance of some people ffs.

arrogance ya :rolleyes:

seeing future utd players playing would engage me

seeing posseban etc

and as neil says its not quite the reserves

most of the players in tonights game will probly be in the first team or sub bench over the season

or at least see the arsenal match
    the youngest team in the carling cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

has anyone been able to find a stream in english? I had one that was showing MUTV for a while after 8 o clock but they were just talking about the upcoiming match, as if it wasn't already being broadcast on 20 other non english channels.

arrogance ya :rolleyes:

seeing future utd players playing would engage me

seeing posseban etc
    Get MUTV then.
    or at least see the arsenal match
    the youngest team in the carling cup

But Cardiff Swansea is a derby game. In a cup.

One you don't care about granted, but then again, Sky Sports aren't idiots. They know what games will draw viewers I'd say.

no mines in Spanish. Lovely football there. there;s loads of viewers on my stream here.

in fairness Des, its a strong United & Boro

Manchester United: Vidic, Ronaldo, Amos, Eckersley, Manucho, Gibson, Welbeck, Nani, Cleverley, da Silva, Giggs, Anderson, O'Shea, Possebon, Brown, Gray, Zieler, Tevez

Middlesbrough: Riggott, Downing, Aliadiere, Jones, Hoyte, Shawky, Wheater, Emnes, Taylor, O'Neil, Johnson, Turnbull, Pogatetz, Arca, Craddock, Digard, Walker, Alves

Get MUTV then.

One you don't care about granted, but then again, Sky Sports aren't idiots. They know what games will draw viewers I'd say.

I agree, and its good to see them catering to a broader audience. But like I said, this stream has had 200,000 views so theyre missing an audience at the same time. maybe a bitta red button multiview action would be in order!! this is meant to be the digital age after all! :pac:

Get MUTV then.

ya ure right about the derby but seeing the line up for utds game

most are first team players

and utd one of the most popular teams in the world

suppose sky weren't banking on the utd team full of first team players

and for boro, only chance of a cup this yr

so theyll be giving it all

• Advertisement
Advertisement