Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United vs Middlesbrough Carling Cup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

so is Scholes but he doesn't go in with intent to injure, which it looks like Pogatetz did

jaykay74 wrote: »
    from wiki...

He had also been tracked by Fulham, but during his final game on loan at Spartak Moscow, he tackled Yaroslav Kharitonskiy, leaving the Russian with a double leg fracture. He was banned for twenty-four weeks by the Russian Football Association.

Due to the Austrian's commitment and notorious 'nutcase/hardman' image, Pogatetz is also commonly referred to by fans and team mates alike as "Mad Dog".

24 weeks? Jesus christ. Football should have a 3 strikes rule with guys like this. He's a danger to fellow professionals and shouldnt be on a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

very nasty tackle, i hope it looks worse than it is! having said that boro obviously felt bad for the tackle which is why they GAVE us those 2 goals!

roryc wrote: »
    so is Scholes but he doesn't go in with intent to injure, which it looks like Pogatetz did

Exactly. theres not knowing how to tackle and just setting out to injure. From the way he threw his body into it relative to where the ball was, i don't think he wanted the ball all that much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Game Over. 3-1

Good result, good performance.

Defense looked decent with Da Silva impressing when going forward.

Midfield done well, Anderson/Possebon controlled most of the game until Possebon had to go off. Anderson looked good still needs to find a scoring touch, Possebon seemed to be the one charged with sitting a bit more and moving the ball around.

Wings - Giggs apart from the goal and corner I don't remember a lot else from him. But cant really complain. Nani does not look like he has improved much from last year, still early to judge but the same issues regarding decision making and the simple things are still there. Calm finish though.

Up Front. Wellbeck done well, good movement and linked up well. Pity he couldn't get a goal. Ronaldo, got the goal but looked rusty to me, should have two.

Gibson done alright when on, apart from his shooting.

Tezez was lively.

Manucho didn't get given enough time for me, but still could have scored.

Unfortunately the night could be ruined depending on the injury to Possebon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Possebon was lucky enough he managed to let his leg go someway limp he could have been halved completely. There was a 2 inch gash, I don't know if it was caused by studs or bone, horrible tackle thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

24 weeks? Jesus christ. Football should have a 3 strikes rule with guys like this. He's a danger to fellow professionals and shouldnt be on a football pitch.

Feck! Sounds a real Trevor Cherry

.Nani does not look like he has improved much from last year, still early to judge but the same issues regarding decision making and the simple things are still there. Calm finish though.

ye i totally agree, he still is a bit to mé fein, for my likin, does loads of stuff right then baloons it, aimin for glory! he needs to have that shaken from him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ronaldo, got the goal but looked rusty to me, should have two.

Ronaldo actually made me laugh tonight all he did was jog around - completely disinterested.

Got his first goal for United on the 19th September last year.

Got his first goal for United on the 23rd September this year.

Looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

My gut feeling is that Possebons season is done and dusted right there. Wait for the whole "totally out of character, he is not a bad lad" defence. Rubbish.

Pogatetz will walk away tonight, train tomorrow and play again in a couple of weeks. :mad:

• Advertisement

SAF was just on MUTV giving post-match interview. He said he's watched the replay and doesn't want to watch it again, that's how bad the injury is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SAF was just on MUTV giving post-match interview. He said he's watched the replay and doesn't want to watch it again, that's how bad the injury is.

ffs

thats bad news

he'll bit out for the season id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That has just ruined everything:(

Such an exciting talent to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Pogatetz is a joke of a player. He was the same during the Euro.....not content unless he was ripping other players jerseys off or halving them down. that along with Guthrie's tackle are two which the FA need to grow a pair and do something about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just saw the tackle.

Bad stuff from Pogatetz alright.

Should be a lengthy ban.

oh my god

just saw the tackle on sky sports

****ing sick **** Pogatetz

no dought he went for possebon

the fa should ban him for a number of games

disgrace

Des wrote: »
    Just saw the tackle.

Bad stuff from Pogatetz alright.

Should be a lengthy ban.

tbh there is no sliding scale for length of ban I think for a red card unless additional charges are made. that is what I gathered from the Guthrie incident last week. It will more than likely be 3 games.

Southgate usually comes across as a reasonable bloke. It will be interesting to see if he excuses it or not.

Wont happen though. I mean the Ruskie FA gave him a 24 week ban, now thats proper discipline tbh.

Wont happen though. I mean the Ruskie FA gave him a 24 week ban, now thats proper discipline tbh.
    He should be sent to the bleedin' Gulag tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

jaykay74 wrote: »
    tbh there is no sliding scale for length of ban I think for a red card unless additional charges are made. that is what I gathered from the Guthrie incident last week. It will more than likely be 3 games.

Yeah you're right. 3 games is all he will get

• Advertisement

82978502kt1.jpg

38419305ys2.jpg

Judging by the ripped sock, and positioning of the Pogatetz leg in the first picture, I'd say he meant to do damage.

He was tackling upwards, from left to right.

82978502kt1.jpg

aaaaaaahhhhhhh fcuk sake. hard man alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pogatetz is a bit of a nutter and seems to be a loose cannon at times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j061umhhSpg

I missed the tackle but from the pics it looks terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

looks like a shocking tackle hope he gets the book thrown at him, hate the guy also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm finding it hard to say something that wouldn't get me banned tbh. Hope the bloody book is thrown at him.

Absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Lets hope its not another Boro-style incident that ended the young career of Ben Collett.

Really put a downer on the proceedings tonight.

• Advertisement

Fergie and Southgate interviews.
    "The injury looked really bad and the lad has gone to hospital," said the United boss.

"The thing that gets me about challenges like that is that the opponent always claims he has done nothing wrong.
    "He (Pogatetz) should have just walked off the field. Then you get their bench screaming that is wasn't a sending-off and there is nothing wrong with our player.

"At least Gareth Southgate was very good about it. He apologised and understood the gravity. It was an absolutely terrible tackle."

Southgate :

"It is difficult to know why it happened. It was an unusual aberration for him because his discipline has improved in the last two years."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/quotes/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/09/23/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Quotes.html

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6618899
    Boss in shock at horror tackle

Sir Alex Ferguson was horrified by the challenge from Emanuel Pogatetz which resulted in Rodrigo Possebon being stretchered off the pitch and needing oxygen.

The Brazilian midfielder has since been taken to hospital following a shocking lunge from the Middlesbrough captain midway through the second half.

"It looked a really bad one," Sir Alex told MUTV. "For the kid to make his first start and get an injury like that is pretty horrendous.

"I think everyone was numb for about ten minutes afterwards and it killed our momentum a little bit.

"I've seen a few replays of it and I don't want to see it again. It was just terrible."

The United boss was particularly disappointed by Pogatetz's reaction to the challenge with the Boro defender seemingly protesting his innocence.

"I couldn't understand it [his reaction], he should have walked straight off," declared the manager. "One of the guys on their bench was screaming that it was never a sending off and that there was nothing wrong with Rodrigo.

"But at least Middlesbrough have apologised. Gareth Southgate was very good. He understood the gravity of it and was very apologetic."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Edit: Whoops the articles were already posted.

Fair play to Southgate. Pogatetz didn't help matters by putting his hands on his head and acting like he was the victim of an injustice.

In fairness to the guy on the Boro bench, it's a pretty usual reaction on an opposing bench, and nothing should be read into it.

Des wrote: »
    In fairness to the guy on the Boro bench, it's a pretty usual reaction on an opposing bench, and nothing should be read into it.

I have to agree. they didnt know the severity of the situation. Fair play to Southgate. I have a lot of respect for him after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The sad thing is guys like Pogatetz view themselves as the hard men of football. He's a coward. I can't understand when players tackle like that? Even if you do get the ball, and it looks like he got a piece of it, the pure recklessness of it means there's a big chance of seriously injuring someone.

The real hard men are the ones that take the knocks and come back for more...Lineker and Rush were the best examples I can think of.

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    The sad thing is guys like Pogatetz view themselves as the hard men of football. He's a coward. I can't understand when players tackle like that? Even if you do get the ball, and it looks like he got a piece of it, the pure recklessness of it means there's a big chance of seriously injuring someone.

The real hard men are the ones that take the knocks and come back for more...Lineker and Rush were the best examples I can think of.

what sickens me on top of this is that it's not the first time he has done it! disgrace and shouldnt be allowed in the profressional game if thats the way he acts, once is careless...more than once......gtfo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

when a player raises his legs like that in a challenge he means to do damage. any word on what the injury is? that type of challenge could cause a seriously bad break, although it didn't look like it was broken from the ****ty youtube replays.

i think the FA need to seriously clamp down on this type of challenge. a raised leg going into a tackle should carry a minimum ban of at least 20 games imo; all that can come from them is injury.

and then Pogatetz the c*nt has the cheek to protest the red.

Fingers crossed for news on Possebon today. As for Pogatetz 25 years old and you have broken 2 players legs already (if Possebons leg is broken) I can only wish him the worst for his career, everything except injury. Maybe huge gambling debts followed by a transfer to obscurity.

I had hoped the clip below was about Michael Ball but not to be...

Pogatetz bites Ball
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1MF4wT5DY

Not sure which thread this should go in but as it stems from the match I stick it here.

www.manutd.com
    United's medical staff have confirmed that Rodrigo Possebon has not suffered a break after being stretchered off against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night.

The Brazilian midfielder was in agony following a challenge from Middlesbrough captain Emanuel Pogatetz after an hour of the Reds' 3-1 Carling Cup third round win.

The club told ManUtd.com on Wednesday morning: "We can confirm that Rodrigo did not suffer a break to his right leg.

"He was kept in hospital overnight for observation and to assess whether there was any ligament damage to his knee."

At the moment, however, everyone at the club is just pleased to hear that Possebon has not broken his leg.

So good news that it is not a break, which was the probably the worst case scenario we all dreaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Not sure which thread this should go in but as it stems from the match I stick it here.

www.manutd.com

So good news that it is not a break, which was the probably the worst case scenario we all dreaded.
    Thats great news! Fcking shocking challenge from what I gather.

Didnt get a chance to see the match, will catch up on it tonight. For those who did see it, who was man of the match? How did Manucho do when he came on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would still imagine it will turn out to be a fairly nasty injury - based on the medical attention he received at the time. Certainly don't think he'll be lining out for the reserves next week.

@Im No Superman - as far as I know (haven't watched the game myself) Manucho came on for the last 10 minutes in total (including the 9minutes injury time) and did ok. Didn't look out of place and made some nice runs. Nothing spectacular though - he is only returning from injury so our already low expectations should be kept there whele he fully recovers and gets fitness levels up.

Didnt get a chance to see the match, will catch up on it tonight. For those who did see it, who was man of the match? How did Manucho do when he came on?

Manucho seems lively, missed from a shooting chance but made a good run to set up the chance. watched on bad stream though.

We played very well in the fist half but kind of drifted in the second half until the sending off. To be honest we could have been heading for a draw until that occurred.

Man of the match IMO would have been Anderson, really impressive in the center. Fergie said he has been struggling since returning from China but that he looked back to himself last night.

Manucho wasn't on long and the game had kind of died after the second goal. Still made some good runs and had a chance to score too. Da Silva looked impressive too, wasn't forced to defend much but did what he had to well and looked going forward. To be honest I was hoping Downing would have tested him more.
    Tauren wrote: »
    I would still imagine it will turn out to be a fairly nasty injury - based on the medical attention he received at the time. Certainly don't think he'll be lining out for the reserves next week.

@Im No Superman - as far as I know (haven't watched the game myself) Manucho came on for the last 10 minutes in total (including the 9minutes injury time) and did ok. Didn't look out of place and made some nice runs. Nothing spectacular though - he is only returning from injury so our already low expectations should be kept there whele he fully recovers and gets fitness levels up.

I wanted Manucho to get more time for the main fact that he is returning from injury. Was disappointed to see him only get the 10 minutes.

No I don't think we will see him in the reserves for next week, but I think we will be seeing him this year. Something I wouldn't have thought last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What are the thoughts on Welbeck? Got a good run out last night, though mainly as the lead man without a proper strike partner, which I would expect to be hard for him so early. Will be interested to see how he did, but some comments would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

We played very well in the fist half but kind of drifted in the second half until the sending off. To be honest we could have been heading for a draw until that occurred.

Man of the match IMO would have been Anderson, really impressive in the center. Fergie said he has been struggling since returning from China but that he looked back to himself last night.

Manucho wasn't on long and the game had kind of died after the second goal. Still made some good runs and had a chance to score too. Da Silva looked impressive too, wasn't forced to defend much but did what he had to well and looked going forward. To be honest I was hoping Downing would have tested him more.

I wanted Manucho to get more time for the main fact that he is returning from injury. Was disappointed to see him only get the 10 minutes.

No I don't think we will see him in the reserves for next week, but I think we will be seeing him this year. Something I wouldn't have thought last night.
    Thats good to hear about Anderson, he has looked abit subdued this season so far but thats understandable due to his olympic commitments. Also good to hear Da Silva played well, its a postion we are alittle vunerable in imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

United's medical staff have confirmed that Rodrigo Possebon has not suffered a break after being stretchered off against Middlesbrough on Tuesday night.

The Brazilian midfielder was in agony following a challenge from Middlesbrough captain Emanuel Pogatetz after an hour of the Reds' 3-1 Carling Cup third round win.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com on Wednesday morning: "We can confirm that Rodrigo did not suffer a break to his right leg. He was kept in hospital overnight for observation and to assess whether there was any ligament damage to his knee."

At the moment, however, everyone at the club is just pleased to hear that Possebon's injury is not as serious as it first appeared to be.

Sir Alex said after the match: "For the kid to make his first start and get an injury like that is pretty horrendous. I think everyone was numb for about ten minutes afterwards and it killed our momentum a little bit. I saw a few replays of it, but I don't want to see it again. It was just terrible."

Despite being initially disappointed by Pogatetz's reaction to his subsequent red card, but he praised Boro boss Gareth Southgate for his attitude after the game.

"I couldn't understand it [his reaction], he should have walked straight off," said the manager. "One of the guys on their bench was screaming that it was never a sending off and there was nothing wrong with Rodrigo. Middlesbrough have apologised though. Gareth Southgate was very good. He understood the gravity of it and was very apologetic.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6619054

thank god for that. Not out of the woods yet, ligament damage could be just as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

what sickens me on top of this is that it's not the first time he has done it! disgrace and shouldnt be allowed in the profressional game if thats the way he acts, once is careless...more than once......gtfo!

I'm well aware about Mad Dogs reputation but over the past 2 seasons hes manged to control himself a lot better and lost his tag as a dirty footballer a long time ago. The tackle on Possebon was nothing but a freak reckless mistimed tackle. He got exactly what he derserves by being sent off and will recieve a 3 match ban and more than likely a fine from the club.

To say he shouldn't be allowed in the professional game is a bit over the top. He didn't intentionally set out to hurt Possebon and his tackle was not out of frustation or anger unlike Danny Guthrie's tackle last week.

His actions following the sending off were quite stupid, and he should have just left the field knowing that he was in the wrong. Fair play to Southgate for coming out and apologsing for the tackle and I really hope Poggy does the same.

Boro 'till I die.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I used to hate Gareth Southgate.

My opinion of him has totally changed in the last 18 months. and i dont change opinions easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I used to hate Gareth Southgate.

My opinion of him has totally changed in the last 18 months. and i dont change opinions easily.

As a manager, I hate him. As a person, I like him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement